Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Worth investing in APS-C?

163 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Shane84 Registered since 02nd May 2007
Wed 15-Aug-07 10:55 PM

Hello Nikonians,

I've really starting to get in to the world of dSLR photography over the last few months with my D40 and I'm slowly accumulating the best glass and equipment that I can afford when the need arises. In fact I'm enrolling on some photography and photoshop courses with my local college soon and would love to try and make a living out of some form of photography one day.

I'm wondering though: how wise an investment is it in the long term to invest in AF-S glass and in particular glass for the APS-C sensor? I hate to think that all the money I've invested is much more of a short term thing than I initially thought.

I really like the APS-C system. It gives me great results. But every time I hear talk of FF sensors I worry that I'm investing in expensive glass that will be useless in a few years when I come to upgrade/replace my D40. Is APS-C and the Nikon 1.5x crop factor likely to become a thing of the past eventually?

The same goes for HSM and SWM lenses... so far all three of my lenses are of this type. Have these lenses replaced the old screwdriver lenses? Or is this something else that may not be supported by the D300 and tomorrow's dSLR?

What do you think?

D300, D40, 3 Zooms, 3 Primes, 1 Flash, a sturdy tripod, a 35mm Praktica BC1 that's older than me and not enough time!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.