Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #203
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 Auto vs Program" Previous topic | Next topic
Tonik Registered since 01st Nov 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 11:17 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 Auto vs Program"

Cleveland, US

New to the DSLR world, always been a film sort of guy. So far very happy to have made the switch, and very happy with my choice of the 50.

This feels like a simple question, but dig as I might through the manual I can not find much info on how the 'Auto' mode functions, especially in comparison to 'Programed' mode.

Any hints for the noob?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 Auto vs Program
edmun
01st Nov 2005
James23p Moderator
02nd Nov 2005
Drewhound
02nd Nov 2005
baggss11
02nd Nov 2005
Shred
02nd Nov 2005
Tonik
02nd Nov 2005

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 01-Nov-05 11:24 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

Your not alone. It is also true in the D70 manual.

ledmun

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 01:11 AM
9629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program"
In response to Reply # 1

Memphis, US

I am not sure if it translate but in my film camera's the Auto mode does not allow alot of changes. But in Program you can adjust the apature up and down and the shutter will correspond. Example if the camera starts at f5.6 and s60 you can change that to f3.5 and s125. This is called flexible program where in auto if the camera say f5.6 and s60 thats what you get. In DSLR's I think Program also lets you change the ISO and not in Auto. But I am not 100% since I have not jumped onto the digital train. Hope this helps.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Wed 02-Nov-05 01:30 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program"
In response to Reply # 0

There's a run down of what all the modes do on page 101, auto really just turns it into a point and shoot.

baggss11 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 03:03 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program"
In response to Reply # 3

Ventura, US

I'm hoping questions like this will be answered in the two upcomming books listed at the top of the page HERE.

I've ordered both....

New Nikon D50 owner

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 12:17 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program"
In response to Reply # 4

FI

Auto mode automatically pops up the built in flash if necessary and auto iso is enabled.
P mode is much more useful as you can control the flash and select if you want to use auto ISO etc...

Tonik Registered since 01st Nov 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 01:04 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 Auto vs Program"
In response to Reply # 0

Cleveland, US

Got it. Thanks much for all the pointers. Page 101 is very nice, my attenion span must have been slipping by the time I got to that page.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #203 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.