nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #19375
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50: Digital Green Dot on photo" Previous topic | Next topic
brandon_w Registered since 23rd Apr 2007Sat 30-Jun-07 07:05 PM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50: Digital Green Dot on photo"

Madison, US

Has anyone else ever had this happen:

http://www.coffeestain.org/bwisch/albums/userpics/10001/DSC_0195-1.JPG

Towards the lower right hand corner there is a green dot. I left the image kind of big so it is noticable. This happened in two out of about 200 pictures I took last night while doing some sunset photo taking.

-Brandon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Fish_Face Registered since 29th Jun 2007Sat 30-Jun-07 07:16 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50: Digital Green Dot on photo"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

I'm no expert but it looks very much like ghosting, caused by the bright light of the sun reflecting inside the lens. If you have a protective filter on the front of the lens, it may well be better, if not gone, when that's removed.
My protective filter is already horrible and smeary, and in challenging lighting it doesn't seem to introduce flare, but makes existing flare pretty nasty.

--
D40, 18-55

brandon_w Registered since 23rd Apr 2007Sat 30-Jun-07 09:26 PM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50: Digital Green Dot on photo"
In response to Reply # 1

Madison, US

That makes sense, I've never seen the flare manifest itself in that way but it does make sense. I'll take my filter off next time.

That shot is actually of the moon last night, took it after the sun was down, not much of a shot.

Thanks,
Brandon

alembicbassman Registered since 30th Oct 2004Sun 01-Jul-07 09:17 AM
1331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50: Digital Green Dot on photo"
In response to Reply # 2

The North, UK

Light also reflects back off the low pass filter onto the rear lens element and is then re-reflected onto the sensor where it is recorded as a green spot.

Nikon is improving coatings on rear elements to reduce this, but only on the more expensive lenses.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sun 01-Jul-07 04:15 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D50: Digital Green Dot on photo"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

That's one of the classic side-effects of light bouncing off the sensor, against some lens element (usually a "protective" UV filter, lenses themselves are pretty well designed to not do this). The tell-tale sign is your green ghost appearing 180º around center from a bright light source.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #19375 Previous topic | Next topic