Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #18819
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
Telecorder Registered since 05th Jan 2007Wed 13-Jun-07 03:31 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses"

Apple Valley, US

Came across an interesting approach for older, manual focusing lens using AF that may be workable and of interest...

For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about here, the "focus trap" technique is where, when using a manual focus lens, you set the camera to auto focus, hold the shutter button down, then adjust the focus. Once the camera sees focus it will automatically snap a shot.

Not having anything other than AF lenses, I'm not positive if it will work w/Nikon units but, if so, makes older non-AF lenses a bit more attractive...

http://www.stevesforums.com/... .../view_topic.php?id=572393&forum_id=80

Anyone have any experience in this approach?

Telecorder
'Love my D50+Bigma'
My Nikonian Image Galleries
My China Image Galleries

Telecorder
'Love my D50+Bigma'
My Nikonian Image Galleries
My Smugmug Galleries

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses
jjmitchell
13th Jun 2007
simpo two
13th Jun 2007
jjmitchell
13th Jun 2007
Travelair
14th Jun 2007
vincebusam
14th Jun 2007
pdkpens
25th Jun 2007

jjmitchell Registered since 05th Feb 2007Wed 13-Jun-07 03:39 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Bournemouth, GB

I'm fairly sure that my D40 will take a picture with my 50mm 1.8 Nikon D prime whether it's in focus or not. The little green focus light goes on and off when focussing but I can still press the shutter whenever I like. How do I change settings so that it wont take a picture when it's not in focus?... assuming that's what you mean.

I'm not sure it's possible.

Jonathan
--------------------
www.jjmitchell.co.uk

Jonathan
--------------------
www.jjmitchell.co.uk

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Wed 13-Jun-07 04:44 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

>I'm fairly sure that my D40 will take a picture with my 50mm
>1.8 Nikon D prime whether it's in focus or not. The little
>green focus light goes on and off when focussing but I can
>still press the shutter whenever I like. How do I change
>settings so that it wont take a picture when it's not in
>focus?... assuming that's what you mean.

That's the difference between continuous AF (AF-C) and single servo AF (AF-S) - it's probably in a menu.

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

jjmitchell Registered since 05th Feb 2007Wed 13-Jun-07 06:42 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

Bournemouth, GB

Thanks John. I'll have a look.

Jonathan
--------------------
www.jjmitchell.co.uk

Jonathan
--------------------
www.jjmitchell.co.uk

Travelair Registered since 18th May 2007Thu 14-Jun-07 12:03 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: "Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses"
In response to Reply # 3

This is my first post but I have been lurking around these forums for the last month. I have a D40 and it does not recognize that a manual focus lens is attached at all. The view finder works but when you try to take a picture, it says "no lens" or something to that effect.

The lens I tried was a very old Nikkor from the 70's. Maybe even earlier.

vincebusam Registered since 04th May 2007Thu 14-Jun-07 09:41 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: "Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Your old lens won't meter either - you need to switch to fully manual mode to use it. I got old 135/2.8 that's a blast to use in this mode, and a cheap way to get a fast lens.

A newer AF lens will meter and work in all modes, just without autofocus.

pdkpens Registered since 21st Mar 2007Mon 25-Jun-07 01:30 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: "Focus Trap" w/Manual Lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sorry but this does not work on the D40. I have a AF 50mm 1.8D lens, and as soon as I connect it to the D40 all of the auto-focus features become unavailable. It immediately goes to manual focus and you can't change it even in the menus.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #18819 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.