Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #185
View in linear mode

Subject: "NE-EL3e battery for the D50" Previous topic | Next topic
paizhao Basic MemberTue 01-Nov-05 08:44 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NE-EL3e battery for the D50"

CA

I know it's still early but I'm wondering if anyone has heard whether the NE-EL3e battery used for the D200 will work on the D50. I'm looking to buy a spare in the near future and wanted to know whether I should wait for the higher capacity battery.

--
Ed

--
Ed
http://paizhao.everythingec.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50
sillyconguru
03rd Nov 2005
edmun
03rd Nov 2005
paizhao
03rd Nov 2005
edmun
04th Nov 2005
paizhao
04th Nov 2005
edmun
04th Nov 2005
paizhao
04th Nov 2005
BJNicholls Gold Member
04th Nov 2005
edmun
04th Nov 2005
paizhao
04th Nov 2005
slappomatt
07th Nov 2005
edmun
07th Nov 2005
gkaiseril Gold Member
07th Nov 2005

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 04:49 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

It might work (equal physical dimensions), but the EN-EL3e has an extra contact to enable the camera to monitor the battery's charge better than the D70 etc.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Nov-05 06:27 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

If it has extra stuff on it, it will cost extra. The En-ela is the another new higher capacity battery.

ledmun

paizhao Basic MemberThu 03-Nov-05 07:33 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Hmm. Interesting. I would say my biggest disappointment is with the battery indicator and the lack of accuracy with the D50 and the existing battery.

--
Ed

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 04-Nov-05 05:58 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

What I have found is that I get in excess of 600 shots on a charge on my D70.

I know how many I shoot and if I am concerned I change batteries after what I think is 400.

The battery indicator gives me about 50 more shots. There is also a battery indicator in the view finder.

Once you get used to how many pictures you are going to take it will seem like a minor problem. I always recharge my battery after shooting, rotating with the spare.

ledmun

paizhao Basic MemberFri 04-Nov-05 05:28 PM
#5. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

I wonder why the battery lasts longer on the D70 than the D50? I have read a number of complaints, including my own, about that. I think I get around 250 shots. A far cry from what D70 owners get. You would think the stripped down version would use less power.

--
Ed

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 04-Nov-05 08:46 PM
#7. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while and I do not remember any posts about poor battery life with the D50.

Where have you read about poor battery life.

If any one else has had this issue can they confirm it.

Everything I have read says do not deep discharge Li-on batteries except for the post linked below.

ledmun

paizhao Basic MemberFri 04-Nov-05 08:58 PM
#8. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 7

CA

Actually, it was over at dpreviews.com where I read some complaints.

--
Ed

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 04-Nov-05 06:23 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

The EN-EL3 is 1400 mAh capacity.

The EN-EL3a is 1500 mAh capacity.

The EN-EL3e is 1500 mAh capacity, but adds a third contact and battery use monitoring circuits. No extra capacity here.

The D200 is the only camera that uses the third contact. The predicted battery life is a function of the camera, not the battery capacity.

If you are getting poor performance on a lithium ion cell, you may have failed to properly deep charge it before using it. Fully discharge an underperforming cell (or use a conditioning charger that has a discharge cycle) before charging it next time.

http://is.med.ohio-state.edu/policies/battery.htm

Lithium ion cells don't have much memory effect, but you have to charge them properly to get the full capacity.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 04-Nov-05 09:36 PM
#9. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 6

eugene, US

Just talked with Prophotosupply in Portland and they said they were unaware of any battery issues.

The salesperson said they think the battery life is better than the D70.

So maybe you have a problem -- call 800 645 6689 which is Nikon support.

ledmun

paizhao Basic MemberFri 04-Nov-05 11:51 PM
#10. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

Thanks. I'll look into this.

--
Ed

slappomatt Registered since 07th Nov 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 01:56 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 10

san diego, US

are you all serious? i went on a photo shoot for a freinds track day and took 1800 shots. most with the review turned on. all on a single fresh charge. if you are only getting 250 shots with a d50 you must be using the onboard flash for every shot and using very long lcd reviews/previews. i would say the battery life is probably the 2nd best strong point of the camera. next to picture quality. and or build quality. i love this camera. are you using nikon brand batteries? i have heard reports of aftermarket batteries blowing up and or leaking in cameras so i would only stick with nikon oem batteries. im planning to get a spare en-el3a battery just because its a little bigger and why not?!?! but its just about dead last on my wish list. wich includes the 10.5mm fisheye. sigma 2x tc which i just bought from the forsale adds here and a new ball head. one battery is more than enough for several days shooting for me. i mostly charge it when i get around to it and go days with out charging. never worry about it basicly. ive heard d70 gets just about as many shots also. 1600-1700 probably.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 07-Nov-05 01:44 PM
#12. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 11

eugene, US

Price for EL3e is stated to be $39 same as others and it says it will work in older cameras and it is 1500 mah.

ledmun

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 07:31 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NE-EL3e battery for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

EN-EL3 series battery compatibility posted at Nikon USA describes the compatibily of the various EN-EL3 batteries with the Nikon digital cameras and chargers.

The D200 can only use the EN-EL3e.

The D70, D70s, and D50 can use the EN-EL-3e, EN-EL3a and EN-EL-3 batteries.

The MH-18, MH-18a and MH-19 chargers can charge the EN-EL-3e, EN-EL3a and EN-EL-3 batteries.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #185 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.