nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D40 Exposure compensation

hotmog

Worcester Park, London, UK
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hotmog Registered since 27th May 2007
Thu 31-May-07 09:25 AM

Further to my earlier post (http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID201/17400.html), I have been playing around and taken more test shots just to get a feel for how the metering on my camera behaves in different situations.

The problem I had was that some shots which looked great when viewed on the D40's LCD appeared badly under-exposed with excessive colour saturation (even when the colour mode was set to 1a) when downloaded and viewed on my PC. These shots were all taken in P mode using Matrix metering without any exposure compensation.

My concern was compounded because the general consensus of opinion seems to suggest that the D40 tends if anything to over-expose using Matrix metering. In Ken Rockwell's D40 User Guide, he quotes: "I set my exposure compensation to -0.7 because my D40's metering firmware is defective, just like the D80's meter. It usually overexposes." He also states: "Seeing how poor the matrix meter has become in the D40 (it requires constantly varying levels of compensation) I intend to try center weighted metering."

He then alluded to the nub of the problem I had: "If anything, the brilliant LCD makes even underexposed images look great! Be sure to check the color histogram if you're shooting in a dark environment." That was exactly it - I couldn't tell just by looking at the image in the LCD whether it was correctly exposed or not!

I had noticed the histograms (both the simple and colour ones) before in the playback display, but didn't really understand what they were telling me. Then I found this article http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml, which really opened my eyes to the usefulness of this tool.

Using the histogram to judge the exposure of subsequent outdoor shots I have taken seems to confirm that most of them were indeed under-exposed if no compensation was applied (the vertical lines tending to bunch at the left-hand margin). On average I found I needed to adjust the exposure by +0.7, occasionally +1.0, to achieve optimum results.

Ken Rockwell does say that the firmware installed on his D40 as of 02 January 2007, reads A 1.00 and B 1.00. But he also says, elsewhere "I've never bothered installing the new D40 firmware that came out in January 2007; I'm too busy shooting." I presume that must refer to version 1.10, which is the version on my D40, so I'm wondering if the over-exposure fault that Ken attributes to version 1.00 of the firmware has now been over-corrected in version 1.10? The firmware upgrade notes on the Nikon website don't make any mention of this. Does anyone know?

But the main thing I wanted to draw your attention to was what a useful tool the histogram display can be in achieving accurate exposures. Do take notice of it if you don't already!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D40 Exposure compensation

G