nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
aderman

1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
aderman Registered since 28th May 2007
Wed 30-May-07 05:26 AM

HI All

I hope that someone can shed a bit of light re compatibility of old lenses with the D40X.

I've been using two Nikon FA bodies for the last 15 years, with a range of old AF Nikkor lenses. Having clung to my slide film for too long, I've decided to go digital and the D40X seems the best value for money at this stage.

However, I don't have the cash to go and buy a new 500mm lens! I have an old 560mm F5.6 Leitz-Weitlar (Leica) fully manual lens with its mount modified to fit a Nikon body. It's still in beautiful condition and I use it as my primary lens for wildlife. Does anybody know whether such a lens would work on the D40X? I understand that it would have to operate on fully manual (light metering, aperture and focus), but I've read in the lens compatibility chart that pre-AI lenses may damage the camera body, but I don't quite understand in which way (is it the aperture sensor? or electronic damage?)

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards

Adrian Haagner
South Africa

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D40X lens compatibility