Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #18246
View in linear mode

Subject: "sb400 + D50 = uneven shots" Previous topic | Next topic
rubenmv Registered since 24th Feb 2007Wed 30-May-07 03:25 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"sb400 + D50 = uneven shots"

Hi all:

I've been playing for a few months now with a SB400 on my D50. I bought that flash unit and a 50mm/1.8 lens on my last trip to NYC.

Back then, I immediately tried them both, and was really difficult to get good pictures for a while. I've always used midrange, slow zooms and having lots of light with such a clear lens just got me off-balance; lots and lots of over (and under) exposed shots.

So i went ahead and started using them separately, and it got a bit better. the photos with the 50mm are ok ( mostly, the very shallow depth wide open sometimes is a challenge) but with the flash I'm not doing ok.

First of all, I only can get semi-consistent exposures in full auto mode. If I go to A or S modes, then from one shot to another, things go bad, really under or totally blown. Maybe my flash unit is faulty?

With the pop-up flash, shots would _always_ be right, no matter what, always dead-on exposure on any mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Rubén

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: sb400 + D50 = uneven shots
SCMGoBlue
30th May 2007
rubenmv
30th May 2007
alembicbassman
30th May 2007
edmun
31st May 2007
rubenmv
31st May 2007

SCMGoBlue Registered since 24th Mar 2007Wed 30-May-07 03:36 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: sb400 + D50 = uneven shots"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Wayne, US

I'm not sure I can offer any solutions, but I also have a SB400 and have absolutely loved it with my D50, it blows the in-camera flash out of the water in every situation I've encountered.

One question, are you bouncing the flash or firing it directly at your subjects? Bouncing it indoors has made a huge difference in my photos, and I haven't had any problems with exposure so far.

The only other thing I can think of is if you have may left your exposure or flash compensation adjusted on the camera and that it could be affecting the exposure of your photos.

rubenmv Registered since 24th Feb 2007Wed 30-May-07 08:33 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: sb400 + D50 = uneven shots"
In response to Reply # 1

>
>One question, are you bouncing the flash or firing it
>directly at your subjects? Bouncing it indoors has made a
>huge difference in my photos, and I haven't had any problems
>with exposure so far.

I bounce it mostly, but sometimes I use it directly. The reason I bought it was to be able to use bounced lighting

>
>The only other thing I can think of is if you have may left
>your exposure or flash compensation adjusted on the camera
>and that it could be affecting the exposure of your photos.

The thing is that, given say 100 shots or a family reunion, if I use the pop up flash then I'll get 90%+ of shots with a perfect exposure. If I use the sb400 in auto mode, I'll get 70%+ perfect exposure, and the remaining 30% easily fixed.

If I use the SB400 in A or S modes, I'll get less than 40% proper exposed shots, with the remaining ones basically ruined.

Best
Rubén

alembicbassman Registered since 30th Oct 2004Wed 30-May-07 10:33 PM
1331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: sb400 + D50 = uneven shots"
In response to Reply # 2

The North, GB

Try switching to M mode and use some different shutter speeds.

You can sync the D50 up to 1/500 sec. For more natural lighting use 1/90 to 1/125 this way the camera uses more of the available light and just the flash to illuminate the subject.

The SB400 is full auto (even when the camera is in M mode).

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 31-May-07 07:58 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: sb400 + D50 = uneven shots"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

This is a under powered flash in my opinion for bouncing.

It should under expose if you are bouncing at low ISO and rooms with high ceiling or if the subject is at medium distances.

The SB 600 and 800 are a lot more power and even they can have problems with bouncing.

ledmun

rubenmv Registered since 24th Feb 2007Thu 31-May-07 05:57 PM
#5. "RE: sb400 + D50 = uneven shots"
In response to Reply # 3

>Try switching to M mode and use some different shutter
>speeds.
>
>You can sync the D50 up to 1/500 sec. For more natural
>lighting use 1/90 to 1/125 this way the camera uses more of
>the available light and just the flash to illuminate the
>subject.
>
>The SB400 is full auto (even when the camera is in M mode).

That's it!!!

I tried yesterday night and got good results. Shot lots of tests and got consistent results on 1/125 - 1/500 (on S, M, and Auto, A mode it's not good at all)

Additionally I found that you can't move past 1/500 anyway on any mode.

So my mistake was 1) choosing a wrong camera mode and possibly 2) shooting at really low speeds.

Thanks a lot!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #18246 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.