Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #179
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flashing ERR message" Previous topic | Next topic
dmurdoch Registered since 15th Jan 2003Tue 01-Nov-05 07:10 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flashing ERR message"

I just bought my D50 in July. I had taken about 1700 pictures and was very happy with the D50 performance. However, during the first week of October, I got a flashing ERR message when trying to take pictures of my Daughter's skating lessons. The "shutter" makes a weird noise and the mirror locks out of the way. Pressing the shutter button again releases the mirror, but the camera will not take a picture. Picture review works fine.

I see in several Digicam forums that this is a problem with the D70.

I took mine in for repairs and after 4 weeks, I finally got it back. Terrible service in my opinion for a so-called world class company.

The repair order from Nikon says "Repair Shutter - Clean and Adjust" but there are no other details given. I just hope that this isn't an ongoing problem or Cannon here I come.

Anyone else have the ERR message on their D50?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flashing ERR message
zztop252
01st Nov 2005
dmurdoch
02nd Nov 2005
zztop252
02nd Nov 2005
dmurdoch
02nd Nov 2005
edmun
03rd Nov 2005

zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 08:44 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flashing ERR message"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My D50 had "err" problems, too.

My D50 started to have mirror lockup problems after about 2000 photos were taken. In my case it would only occur with one particular lens...go figure. The only way to clear the "err" was to disengage the lens and then put it back on. That got annoying pretty fast.

I sent my D50 and the lens to the El Segundo Repair Center (via insured Fedex delivery). They received my D50 on a Wednesday morning and it was sent out by UPS the following Monday. Very quick turn around for mine.

For my D50, they replaced the shutter mechanism and the Shutter curtain blade, adjusted the meter accuracy, and checked the auto focus operation. Supposedly, they cleaned it, but my "dust bunny" like spots are still there. So, I guess they didn't clean it very well. They called it a Rank B2 Service Repair...what ever that means.

There are a few other folks who mentioned that they were also having "err" problems, but their posts were lost when this site went down. Perhaps they are still cruising the site and can tell us if they got their problems resolved, or not.

I am hopeful that my D50 will work correctly now. The weather hasn't allowed me to get out and give it much of a test run, yet.

dmurdoch Registered since 15th Jan 2003Wed 02-Nov-05 11:25 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flashing ERR message"
In response to Reply # 1

I put mine through its paces last night and took about 300 shots. It seems ok now. After the month of having to use my old useless Coolpix 5700, it is sure nice to be able to take "real" pictures again.

zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 01:25 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flashing ERR message"
In response to Reply # 2

US

It sounds like yours is working okay. If it isn't too windy today, I will be out testing mine.

I was kind of depressed about having problems with my D50 so soon after its purchase. But, to look at it from the "glass half full" viewpoint, better to find out now than after the warranty had expired.

Where did you send your D50 for repairs? You did wait a long time to get your camera back!

dmurdoch Registered since 15th Jan 2003Wed 02-Nov-05 02:19 PM
#4. "RE: Flashing ERR message"
In response to Reply # 3

I took it back to my local Nikon dealer. They sent it out to Nikon Canada in Toronto for repair. They warned me that there would likely be a 3-4 week turn around so I was expecting a long wait. However, even though I knew it would take that long, 4 weeks for a camera repair is NOT good service, especially for a current model camera. I'm just glad I can put my crappy Coolpix 5700 away again.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Nov-05 12:19 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flashing ERR message"
In response to Reply # 4

eugene, US

Just be glad it was not Leica -- they used to average 6 months.

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #179 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.