nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #17752
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD Cards vs. Compact Flash" Previous topic | Next topic
lennyd120 Registered since 10th Dec 2006Tue 15-May-07 10:07 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD Cards vs. Compact Flash"

US

Why do high end dslr's use compact flash instead of SD cards ? Is there a difference in capacity or performance ? I believe sd-hd cards go up to 8GB and so do Compact Flash. If that is the case wouldn't it make sense for dslr's to all use the smaller SD card ?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD Cards vs. Compact Flash
jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
15th May 2007
lennyd120
16th May 2007
K1W1
16th May 2007
simpo two
16th May 2007
K1W1
16th May 2007
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
17th May 2007

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Tue 15-May-07 11:06 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD Cards vs. Compact Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Heretic! Having an SD card in a pro camera is like having a pop-up flash in a D2Xs! (believe it or not, the pop-up flash in the D200 is often seen as a *negative* since it makes it "less pro" to a certain class of people)

Really, I think we're almost there. CF cards go up to at least 16G today and they're a little cheaper at comparable sizes and speeds than SD cards. According to Sandisk, their fast SD cards are 20MB/s and their fast CF cards are 40MB/s (of course you pay for the extra speed). Pro shooters (or at least people who like to buy pro cameras ) also like that CF cards are physically more rugged feeling.

However, this doesn't mean that SD cards won't be in pro cameras soon. I'd rather have two SD cards writing redundant files than a single CF card. The physically larger CF-sized microdrives have fallen out of vogue. Nikon had SD cards in the D50 for their first generation, then D40/D40X/D80 in the second generation of cameras - SD cards are moving up the food chain. SD cards have a more durable card-edge connector (the CF pins can get bent more easily). Finally, a lot of the compact P&S cameras are running with SD cards which brings huge volume and R&D dollars so I would imagine that SD card development will soon outpace CF card development.

Keep in mind that Nikon builds their lineup from the top down, that means that when the D200 was designed (not released) SD cards may not have been there for what the target market needs, that may even be the case for the D3*, but I'd be curious to see what format the D300 uses. Of course, what card type a camera uses is an interesting guessing game, but not exactly in the critical path for producing excellent images

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

lennyd120 Registered since 10th Dec 2006Wed 16-May-07 12:28 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD Cards vs. Compact Flash"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the detailed answer. I recently bought my 1st DSLR - a D40 and a 50MM 1/8 and an 18-200mm Nikkor. After I run the photos through DXO Optics Pro the photos look good to me (not that they looked bad right out of the camera). I am very happy with the D40, the kit lens, and the extra 2 lenses I bought. It seems logical to me that the autofocus motor would only be in the lens (if you don't have any old lenses) and that the top LCD would be eliminated ( a holdover from film cameras ) along with an SD card instead of a CF card. But you wouldn't know it from some of the reviews on the web and the magazines. IMHO a small lightweight camera is preferable to carrying around a brick with a strap. It seems like Nikon designed the D40/D40x almost from scratch. It seems so logical to me that I hope they design future DSLR's this way - and not just entry level cameras. I am not saying they should stop building cameras that can autofocus their legacy lenses. That would be suicide for Nikon. I know my opinion will annoy my some of my fellow Nikonians but maybe the D40/D40x is a precursor of things to come.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 16-May-07 10:59 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD Cards vs. Compact Flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

It's also a hang over from when digital cameras were first introduced.
The only media was CF which incidentally was never developed with photography in mind. In the CF format you could get IBM mini hard drives (can't remember their proper name now) in a whopping 360 and later 540MB size! This was the media of choice for the Pro who had to deal with those huge 1 MB plus image sizes in their cameras of the day. The result of this is the Pros have developed a warm fuzzy feeling for CF that they are reluctant to break.
Panasonic, Toshiba and San Disk jointly developed the Sd format to overcome the many faults of CF including too large physical size for smaller devices, potential problems with the connection pins during constant insertion and ejection, no write protection facility and excessive power draw.
CF will die out over the next 3 -5 years in the same way that floppy drives have now completely disappeared and CD drives are virtually obsolete. The unfortunate part is that SD is probably not far behind CF in terms of obsolescence as newer technologies are being developed.

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Wed 16-May-07 11:36 AM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD Cards vs. Compact Flash"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

SD is certainly gaining ground and I like the idea of edge connectors instead of pins. However I'm sure some clever person will make and sell an CF > SD adaptor (if they don't already) so your D2X etc will not be obsolete!

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 16-May-07 12:17 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD Cards vs. Compact Flash"
In response to Reply # 4

Melbourne, AU

>However I'm sure some clever
>person will make and sell an CF > SD adaptor (if they don't
>already) so your D2X etc will not be obsolete!
>
>John
>www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

They have been around for years. Currently I'm using both Mini SD and Micro SD cards in my D50 and they work just fine as well with their supplied adapters.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 17-May-07 12:30 AM
9853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SD Cards vs. Compact Flash"
In response to Reply # 5

Memphis, US

I like the connection of the SD card no pins to bend. This to me is less likely to have a failure.

I agree SD is taking over and CF will fade I suspect Nikon will go this route to eventually with its pro gear.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #17752 Previous topic | Next topic