Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #17714
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40." Previous topic | Next topic
jadog2 Registered since 14th Feb 2006Mon 14-May-07 04:36 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."

US

I've been using a Coolpix 5400 as my travel/party camera. However I've been pondering a D50 with a Prime lens or the D40 with kit lens to replace my Coolpix.
Is the D50 with a 35/F2 AFD lens a light setup? I seem to prefer primes over variable aperature zooms which seems to rule out the D40. PITTY. (btw, im not interested in a sigma 30/1.4)
Your thoughts welcome since I can't find a store with a D50 to sample.
Thx

-Jason Daniel in CA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40.
dewhastme
14th May 2007
simpo two
14th May 2007
bch2 Silver Member
15th May 2007
jadog2
15th May 2007
scottwebb
20th May 2007
jadog2
15th May 2007
Ginseng
15th May 2007
simpo two
15th May 2007
jadog2
16th May 2007
simpo two
16th May 2007
Drbee Silver Member
16th May 2007
simpo two
17th May 2007
Drbee Silver Member
17th May 2007
jadog2
24th May 2007
Drbee Silver Member
24th May 2007

dewhastme Registered since 04th Dec 2006Mon 14-May-07 05:26 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

D50 is the size of the D80 almost exactly, D80 may be a little heavier. D40X with the 18-55 is a nice little setup, but if you are locked into primes you won't have autofocus on most (as you already know). I recently traveled to Asia with my D80 and a 18-200, it worked out well, but its definately going to be more in your way than a coolpix. If you want a nice flexible camera with manual control that is small you might want to check out the Ricoh GR Digital.

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Mon 14-May-07 07:24 AM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 1

GB

I wouldn't want an SLR at a party unless I wanted really good photos. People will see it and either shrink away or adopt cheesy poses, I fear! IMHO a compact is a better tool for the job.

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John

bch2 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2006Tue 15-May-07 04:16 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 2

San Diego, US

In most cases I'd agree with John. An SLR with a photographer attached doesn't make for great photos at a party, at least not easy ones. The best photographers can be very engaging at a party snapping pictures on the sly sort of blending into the back-ground. That isn't easy but it can be the source of some of the best candid shots.

Anyway some of the most interesting photos I ever saw, from a party, were taken when the host put an F3 (with motor drive) on the table and said. Feel free to play with it as you like.

Started slow but once everyone got over the intimidation, an F3 with a motor drive can be intimidating, people started having fun with it. They passed it around until the film was gone.

Of course you have to bee pretty unconcerned that you may get a broken D40 back at the end, but unless everyone is really trashed, they tend to be quite careful with SLR's. The results can be quite excellent.

So it's more a matter of how comfortable you are with letting your camera float around the party. Note this only seems to work well when there is a bit of drinking going on to loosen up the crowd. Too little and everyone kind of freezes up, too much and you risk getting a nice pile of electronics returned to you.

Good luck with that...

Enjoy..
--Bryan
Some days the walls are harder then others...

Some days the walls are harder then
others..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jadog2 Registered since 14th Feb 2006Tue 15-May-07 07:27 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 6

US

>The best photographers can be
>very engaging at a party snapping pictures on the sly sort
>of blending into the back-ground. That isn't easy but it can
>be the source of some of the best candid shots.
>
Hi Bryan,
You touched on a style of photography I have always admired. One such photographer is David Alan Harvey. (D200 w/ 20mm 2.8 afd) (Prior to the D200, he used a D70, prior to that was a D100... same lens)
Very interesting work with limited equipment needs.
All excellent replys folks. Making me think and re-think what I thought was important in a Travel/Party Cam.

cheers,
Jason

-Jason Daniel in CA

scottwebb Registered since 17th May 2007Sun 20-May-07 04:40 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 6

CA

I havnt tried this yet with my dslr, however I can totally go with the 'put the camera down and let them try it'

people are hilariously fascinated with a big 'crazy' camera. They feel intimidated yet they wanna take a picture soooo bad. and with a big memory card they can just shoot like crazy. just have to tell them dont mess with the settings its all set up.

u do get some great pictures that way.

jadog2 Registered since 14th Feb 2006Tue 15-May-07 05:29 AM
#3. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for your thoughts. Not sure how I missed that Richo. Looks like it has almost all my criteria met. ( I like fixed focal lengths with manual controls)
FWIW My idea of a party is very conservative where DSLRs are accepted but my main use for this camera would be day trips with the family and traveling on holiday.

I am tired of deciding whether to bring my big camera or my small camera every time I leave for an outing that doesn't have photography as the goal. Although I love the flexibility and image quality of my Coolpix, I need something w/ faster write speeds and better low light capabilities.

A small dslr seems to be the best compromise. Wished Nikon would come out with some AFS primes to stick on that small D40.

-Jason Daniel in CA

Ginseng Registered since 02nd Apr 2007Tue 15-May-07 02:17 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Thanks for your thoughts. Not sure how I missed that Richo.
> Looks like it has almost all my criteria met. ( I like
>fixed focal lengths with manual controls)
>.
>FWIW My idea of a party is very conservative where DSLRs are
>accepted but my main use for this camera would be day trips
>with the family and traveling on holiday.
>
>I am tired of deciding whether to bring my big camera or my
>small camera every time I leave for an outing that doesn't
>have photography as the goal. Although I love the
>flexibility and image quality of my Coolpix, I need
>something w/ faster write speeds and better low light
>capabilities.
>
>A small dslr seems to be the best compromise. Wished Nikon
>would come out with some AFS primes to stick on that small
>D40.
What about getting the D40 and then the Sigma 30mm 1.4? Small, fast, autfocusing. Depending on the lighting, you might not even need the popup flash much less a shoe mount.

Wilkey

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Tue 15-May-07 03:28 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Actually I'll have another go at answering that:

Compact for party.

DSLR for travel.

John

John

jadog2 Registered since 14th Feb 2006Wed 16-May-07 05:25 AM
#8. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Actually I'll have another go at answering that:
>
>Compact for party.
>
>DSLR for travel.
>
>
>John
>www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John,
Well said! You just helped me decide what I will bring to an upcomming trip. Seriously... and I must laugh at myself now...

-Jason Daniel in CA

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Wed 16-May-07 10:43 AM
#9. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 8

GB

>Well said! You just helped me decide what I will bring to
>an upcomming trip. Seriously... and I must laugh at myself
>now...

It's what I call the 'Winnie-the-Pooh' option. For those not familiar - when Pooh was presented with a choice of honey or condensed milk, he thought for a moment and then replied 'Both'.

The older I get, the more I like the idea...

John

John

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 16-May-07 02:38 PM
5693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 0

Naperville, US

Jason,

Strictly, as always, FWIW.... Between the two cameras, I would support the D50 and your lens choice. I prefer the 24mm f/2.8 AFD lens on my wife's D70s for your travel/party setup.

I would counter other comments suggesting a compact: I do not find a DSLR to be off-putting at a party. In fact, if you party with the same group, the quality of those photos over the compact photos often has people looking to you to include them in your photos. Just about every capable photographer I know has moved from a slow-to-focus-in-low-light compact to a DSLR, including my spouse - who has prevously worn out three compacts.

The D50 has an excellent low-light reputation. I have friends who travel with that body and one who pairs it with a 17-55 f/2.8 AFS. That kind of defeats compact but it sure takes great images. The D50 images in low-light are really stunning. IMO that's one reason it would take the 24mm f/2.8 AFD lens gracefully. I use the 35mm f/2 AFD routinely on my D200 for candids, but I prefer the wider view when in an event or party situation.

The on-board strobe capability of the D50 plus the ability to put on a SB-800 or other Nikon DX capable strobe (I have a SB-800 so that's why I mention that one), increases the ability to really enhance your images if the venue permits - it's obviously not club fare, but great at weddings, etc.

BTW: if you have some individuals in a group who do not like to have their photo taken, try handing them the camera and ask them to take a shot of you. That sometimes breaks the ice.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Thu 17-May-07 08:42 PM
#11. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 10

GB

>I would counter other comments suggesting a compact: I do
>not find a DSLR to be off-putting at a party. In fact, if
>you party with the same group, the quality of those photos
>over the compact photos often has people looking to you to
>include them in your photos.

You're right, but you have to decide if you're going to the party as a photographer or a party-goer. I don't think you can do both properly. A DSLR is a lump, either round your neck or on the floor, and you're always having to make sure people don't step on it, or you put it on a chair and then watch people almost sitting in it. If you want the best photos, it's acceptable, but if you just want to chill and enjoy yourself, you have that added responsibility.

John

John

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Thu 17-May-07 09:06 PM
5693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 11

Naperville, US

I understand, we go to different parties . My DSLR gets passed around and everyone uses it, I can leave it sit on a table, or a chair. If I were going "clubbing" it would be something else. There I'm likely to take my Canon S60 or Contax T3 set for snapshot mode so I don't have to wait for focusing and then it's in my pocket inbetween.

I guess we could expand the designated driver to designated driver/photographer and just have a bad time all around. .

Best Regards,

Roger

Roger

jadog2 Registered since 14th Feb 2006Thu 24-May-07 05:56 PM
#14. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 12

US

>I understand, we go to different parties . My DSLR gets
>passed around and everyone uses it, I can leave it sit on a
>table, or a chair. If I were going "clubbing" it would be
>something else. There I'm likely to take my Canon S60 or
>Contax T3 set for snapshot mode so I don't have to wait for
>focusing and then it's in my pocket inbetween.
>
>I guess we could expand the designated driver to designated
>driver/photographer and just have a bad time all around.
> .
>
>Best Regards,
>
>>face="Tekton"]Roger
> It is still ISO, aperture and
>shutter speed, right?

Roger,
I can relate to alot of what you have said in this thread. We both seem to go to the same parties.
Suprised you mentioned the 24mm f2.8 as that was on my list of purchases for a walk around/ civilized party lens.

So I will most likely have 3 different camera configurations (even though I was misguided in hoping for 2).
1. Big DSLR Camera (w/ grip) for more serious stuff. 2. DSLR with a prime for walk around/ civilized party and travel 3. Compact for less important snap shots.

I'm satisfied.... thanks to everyone.

-Jason Daniel in CA

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Thu 24-May-07 06:14 PM
#15. "RE: Your Travel/ Party Camera? D50 or D40."
In response to Reply # 14

Naperville, US

Hi Jason,

I have a D200 and I use the extra vertical grip when I'm handling large lenses for a long time or I know the situation is going to call for a lot of "vertical" shots. That's my "big" DSLR. For "party" shots, the grip stays at home and if needed there are enough pixels in a 10MB file to crop a vertical format from the orignal horizontal.

Between my wife and I, we also have a D70s. That has turned out to be a very good camera for a wide range of activities. With a 24mm f/2.8, it skinnies down very well and I'd think the D50 would do that also. However, the D40 will not take screw focused lenses like Nikkor AF primes e.g. single-focal-length lenses.

Best Regards,

Roger

Roger

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #17714 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.