Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #17627
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why does this photo appeal to me??" Previous topic | Next topic
Stradibarrius Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Mar 2007Wed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
1421 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why does this photo appeal to me??"

Monroe, US

Of all the crazy things that I have shot as I play with exposure, shutter speed etc. this nothing shot appeals to my eye for some reason?? It is a nothing shot of a stack of books, big deal. Does someone who understands what makes a photo have appeal have an opinion as to why I might think this shot is the least bit interesting?? I am really embarrssed to post this but maybe I will learn something basic or that I have a sick eye.

www.barrydudley.com

"Generalizations are made because they are Generally true"

visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why does this photo appeal to me??
Stradibarrius Silver Member
11th May 2007
jdbower Gold Member
12th May 2007
RDKeeler867
12th May 2007
BrianS Silver Member
15th May 2007
fdwess
16th Jan 2008
simpo two
15th May 2007

Stradibarrius Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Mar 2007Fri 11-May-07 09:47 PM
1421 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why does this photo appeal to me??"
In response to Reply # 0

Monroe, US

It's ok to say it has no appeal at all. Alot of people have looked but no comments. So I guess everyone looked at the photo and thought I must have been on "crack" when I took the shot and wrote the comment! The only merit I thought this shot had was the sharpness of the lettering and contrast??? Maybe I was on "crack" and didn't realize it. LOL!

www.barrydudley.com

"Generalizations are made because they are Generally true"

visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 12-May-07 12:03 AM
3138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why does this photo appeal to me??"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

Hey, as long as you're happy with it that's what counts. It may be the initial images I've seen from you of your instruments but for some reason your dark, contrasty images remind me of stained wood - I like the look so keep it up!

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

RDKeeler867 Registered since 28th Jan 2007Sat 12-May-07 06:37 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why does this photo appeal to me??"
In response to Reply # 1

Concord, US

I don't think you're on crack... I think I can see what you're talking about here. There is definitely some potential there... have you tried taking a shot of the books from a slightly different angle... say from about the same point above however shooting at an angle to the spine. Not sure how to describe it... but I do see something that could be nice there.

Then again... I could be on crack too.

Ron - Another Bay-Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

Ron - Another Bay-Area Nikonian
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Tue 15-May-07 05:01 PM
510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why does this photo appeal to me??"
In response to Reply # 0

Longmeadow, US

I would have to agree with Jeff. If it makes you happy then that's what counts. I, like you, have taken many shots adjusting aperature, shutter speed etc..just for my own curiosity and to learn my D40. Most of the shots were of my cat because he's cooperative and puts up with me, but I have had some interesting shots of the interior of my house as well.

Brian

My Blog

fdwess Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
1147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why does this photo appeal to me??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Barry,

I do believe the photo is interesting. The nice thing is you saw something in it. I did too but made a few changes to bring out what I saw.

best regards,

Don

edit: I did it this way to highlight a great artist and give the photo a somewhat painted look.

just me, myself and a ...
D70S and 18-200VR

"This is like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Tue 15-May-07 03:45 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why does this photo appeal to me??"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

I kow what you've seen Barry - a gentle glow of warmth and satisfaction reminiscent of mellow times.

Not unlike this photo I prised from a wedding last week:

www.autograph.uk.com/Pix/study.jpg

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #17627 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.