Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #17124
View in linear mode

Subject: "LCD screen protector" Previous topic | Next topic
Macnut Registered since 20th Dec 2005Fri 20-Apr-07 10:10 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LCD screen protector"

Stamford, US

I've tried to buy the Giotto SP 50325 screen protector for my D40 -- without success. Is there any kind soul on this forum who has had more luck?

PHC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LCD screen protector
Holmes375 Silver Member
21st Apr 2007
K1W1
21st Apr 2007
Ginseng
21st Apr 2007
Mike in Kansas
21st Apr 2007
Macnut
06th May 2007
bmoorhouse
24th Apr 2007
Holmes375 Silver Member
24th Apr 2007
ansdguy
12th May 2007
robin20
19th Mar 2010
uberD
21st Mar 2010
docusn Silver Member
22nd Mar 2010

Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Sat 21-Apr-07 01:31 AM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This company offers very nice LCD protection. This protector offers impact resistance as well as scratch/abrasion resistance.

http://www.daproducts.com/

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 21-Apr-07 04:41 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

A piece of PDA screen protector film cut to size does the job perfectly adequately and is much cheaper and easier to obtain.
You are not looking at the screen on the back of the D40 you are looking at the built in screen protector which, if the D50 is anything to go by is very robust and abrasion resistant. The actual LCD screen is well protected out of the box.

Ginseng Registered since 02nd Apr 2007Sat 21-Apr-07 08:37 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Macnut,
I've bought and tried perhaps 8 or 9 different screen protectors in my quest for the perfect unit for my D40. Here are my observations. Keep in mind that what I was looking for was a product that would enhance LCD viewability with physical protection as only a secondary requirement. Your requirements may vary.

Target Performance Characteristics:
1. Antireflective properties roughly equivalent to that found on prescription eyeglasses or high quality lens filters.
2. Scratch resistance at a level high enough to resist scraping contact with fingernails, plastic zippers, hard plastic parts, wood. Some resistance to metals and minerals is preferred.
3. Application method that robustly prevents the ready inclusion of air bubbles, wrinkles, etc. during installation.

Obseravations from testing commercially available products:
1. None of the products I've come across offer effective coatings-based AR
2. Many products targeted at the PDA, celphone, portable game console market have adhesive coatings that are less than what I'd consider "optical quality" exhibiting streaks, bumps or other artifacts that negatively affect image quality
3. The thinner the plastic film that is used as the substrate, the more likely the user is to encounter problems with application such as bubbles and creases
4. Water repellent performance is a red herring as most hardcoatings are silicone-based and thus by nature will cause water to bead
5. Hard coatings will protect from low angle scratching but not from direct impact (which is determined by the hardness of the substrate film
6. Products that use adhesive tape around the periphery of the screen eliminate bubbles but require a much more precise application technique.

The best protective product I've encountered is the DaProducts. These are thick, tough and not terribly difficult to apply.

The best "AR" product is one made by Pelican for the Sony PSP portable game console. Like others which offer genuinely effective glare reduction, it is not coatings-based. These units offer a texturally matte front surface which effectively reduces specular reflection, which is what is perceived as glare.

The best "feelgood" product is the Giotto's Aegis series. Even the generic sizes look and feel professional grade. Sadly, AR performance is poor.

The Screen Patronus product is actually a pretty darn good compromise across all properties. And it's cheap too.

I hope this helps more than it confuses.

Disclaimer: I have not tried every possible product out there so my information is necessarily incomplete.

Wilkey

Mike in Kansas Registered since 12th Mar 2006Sat 21-Apr-07 11:45 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 0

Olathe, US

I too have the da Products LCD protector for my D50. Just got it a couple of weeks ago and put it on in ~5 minutes. I had my D50 for over a year and never scratched it, but thought I should do something just to ensure it would remain scratch-free!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Macnut Registered since 20th Dec 2005Sun 06-May-07 09:19 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 4

Stamford, US

I bought the DA Screen Protector but I found that the orange peel-off strips were a problem. The orange transparent strips would either peel off without the white backing, or the white backing would not separate from its adhesive part. I may be mishandling the strips but frankly, I find the procedure unnecessarily fussy.

PHC

bmoorhouse Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 24-Apr-07 02:40 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 0

North Bend, US

The EXIM SPUC screen protectors are the best I have ever found. They are difficult to find, but a quick search on eBay found several specifically pre-cut for the D40/D40x.

I have one on my D50 and love it. It provides no color shift, is very clear (EXIM claims 99%), and it feels smooth. I also love the way it is installed . . . there is no adhesive involved. You just put it on and it stays. Really impressive is that you can easily take it off for cleaning (I haven't needed to in a year), and reinstall it.

Oh, and the EXIM SPUC comes with a pre-cut protector for all screens on the camera. Of course, for the D40, there is only one, but for the D50, I received 2. Very nice.

Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Tue 24-Apr-07 05:28 AM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Interesting stuff, that EXIM SPUC material. What a name, eh?!

Looked it up on eBay and I think I'm going to try the product. Probably on my little whitewater camera, a Pentax Optio WPi.

Thanks for the heads-up.

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

ansdguy Registered since 10th Apr 2007Sat 12-May-07 01:04 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 6

San Diego, US

I recently bought a multi-coated glass LCD protector on eBay. It went on in an instant and looks just great. I just searched for Nikon D40 LCD protector. The store name is John's Camera. Paid $15.00 w/free shipping from Hong Kong. Shipping takes about a week. This is a quality product. It uses a 3M adhesive. Glare is reduced as a secondary benefit.

robin20 Registered since 19th Mar 2010Fri 19-Mar-10 04:56 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi everyone..
Guys i bought new Samsung LCD last week and i need some protection on the screen. So i have searched a lot regarding this and came through a website http://www.decalskin.com/ ,
Is this website is really good in providing protector flim for my LCD screen?

uberD Registered since 15th Jun 2007Sun 21-Mar-10 10:37 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Macnut, I have the Giottos on my D40. I got it via eBay. The seller was in Hong Kong. In fact, I've got these on all my Nikon bodies...wouldn't use anything else

L22/D40/D300

docusn Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Feb 2010Mon 22-Mar-10 12:09 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: LCD screen protector"
In response to Reply # 10

Orange Park, US

I've used ZAGG protectors for years and love them. They fit perfectly, are a breeze to install and last forever. Check out ZAGG.com for the info.

Mark

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #17124 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.