Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #169
View in linear mode

Subject: "Confused about exposure compensation with flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Hamslay Registered since 01st Nov 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 05:00 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Confused about exposure compensation with flash"

GB

While I continue to save for an SB-800, I've just bought a LumiQuest Soft Screen to try to calm down the harshness of the pop-up flash. The piece of paper that comes with the device claims that no exposure compensation should be required, but that's just not true. With the Soft Screen in place, pictures are just too dark. Time to tweak...

In the past I've used exposure compensation a fair bit (using the +/- button and command dial), and am used to the camera adjusting the shutter speed or aperture to alter the exposure. I believe one can adjust the power of the pop-up flash using the Flash exposure compensation (flash button and +/- and command dial) to alter the flash power. However, what I did in this case was to just use normal exposure compensation, and expected to see some evidence of the aperture or shutter speed changing, but I didn't. As anticipated, dialing in +2 EV fixed the lighting, but I'm confused just how it did it. The aperture couldn't have opened, as I was already at maximum. The shutter speed didn't seem to change - at least I couldn't hear that it was slower. So I can only guess that the flash power was increased, which would seem a logical way of increasing exposure in this situation. But if exposure compensation adjusts flash power when the pop-up flash is used, what is the flash exposure adjustment for, as it seems to do exactly the same thing!?

I could just leave it that it works, but it bugs me to not know what's going on!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash
edmun
01st Nov 2005
Hamslay
01st Nov 2005
edmun
02nd Nov 2005
Hamslay
02nd Nov 2005
edmun
02nd Nov 2005
Hamslay
02nd Nov 2005
Drewhound
02nd Nov 2005
Hamslay
03rd Nov 2005
avm247 Moderator
02nd Nov 2005

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 01-Nov-05 05:50 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

The problem with the built in flash is that it just does not have much power.

Any diffuser will cut the effective power down. So increasing something that is at 100% just will not work.

bottom line you get a softer image will a lot less range.

ledmun

Hamslay Registered since 01st Nov 2005Tue 01-Nov-05 06:00 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

For ranges of 5ft - 10ft it seems usable, but only with the exposure increased. Back to the question - how's it doing it!?

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 02-Nov-05 06:57 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

The camera changes the power output of the flash.

ledmun

Hamslay Registered since 01st Nov 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 07:10 AM
#4. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

So if the pop-up flash is up, changing the exposure compensation changes the flash power. I thought that's what I saw. So what on earth is the flash exposure option for, when "normal" exposure compensation does exactly the same thing????

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 02-Nov-05 06:48 PM
#5. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 4

eugene, US

The flash comp button changes only the flash power not the main exposure.

ledmun

Hamslay Registered since 01st Nov 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 06:53 PM
#6. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

Sure, but changing the regular exposure compensation with the flash up only seems to change the flash power too - aperture and shutter speed are unchanged.

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Wed 02-Nov-05 10:51 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 6

Have you got it set on ISO auto? I wonder if it upped the ISO when you added the compensation

Hamslay Registered since 01st Nov 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 06:49 AM
#9. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

I'm pretty sure it wasn't on Auto ISO. Also, I was able to step the exposure compensation up several times and each time achieve a better exposure. If the ISO were increasing I would have had at most 3 more exposure options.

Strange. I'll have to get the camera out again tonight and try again.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 02-Nov-05 08:11 PM
18521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Confused about exposure compensation with flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Nikon's default flash system is some form of balanced fill flash. If you are getting a pre-flash, you are useing a balanced fill flash mode. In fill flash, the camera is trying to balance both the ambient light and the flash burst. In a balanced fill flash mode, the camera is adding some -EV to the flash.

Adding flash compensation to a balanced fill flash mode will have a cumulative effect and will be unrepeatable unless you are shooting in the exact same conditions (and even then, there may be some variation).

It is best to run a controlled test to verify how the built in flash behaves in manual exposure mode (this should revert to a standard TTL mode). Depending on the lighting conditions, you can add from -.7EV to -2.0 EV to get repeatable results. As you have the Lumiquest diffuser, I recommend running a test with that, too. Note that you will lose power with the diffuser so the flash will not have the same reach.

(In a pre-flash mode, with the Luniquest diffuser, the camera will see that not enough light is reaching the subject and may try to add more light as a result.)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #169 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.