Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #16450
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do you really use your 50mm lens?" Previous topic | Next topic
GoLowDrew Registered since 26th Jan 2007Thu 29-Mar-07 10:03 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Do you really use your 50mm lens?"

US

The only think holding me up is my desire to use my 50mm 1.8 lens. I love that lens on my F75. It's on 90% of the time. When I go digital, that is the only lens I will keep.

So D80 looks like the camera for me, but it's 1K. D40 is all I need if I could let go of this need to use the 50mm.

Let me ask this: 50mm is good for low light. If I was to bump up ISO, I could do low light, correct? Yes, 50mm could go lower. We can keep on going with this....

The kit lens isn't all that bad.

Question:

Do you really feel you need a 50mm lens? 50mm will be 75mm in digital. I'm not sure if it will still be my #1 lens.

It'll be hard to let go of my favorite lens, but life goes on....

New to Nikon (again)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?
HVAC GUY Silver Member
29th Mar 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
29th Mar 2007
K1W1
29th Mar 2007
nipprdog
29th Mar 2007
Drbee Silver Member
30th Mar 2007
wijnands
30th Mar 2007
MasterDabber Silver Member
31st Mar 2007
          Reply message RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens? I do...
drFrank Silver Member
31st Mar 2007
blw Moderator
31st Mar 2007
Peter in PA
01st Apr 2007
hs_r2d2
01st Apr 2007
gryphon1911
02nd Apr 2007
CatSplat
03rd Apr 2007
mnmleung
03rd Apr 2007
Tecant
04th Apr 2007
Johnno
04th Apr 2007
teb1013
06th Apr 2007
eduardofrances
06th Apr 2007
GoLowDrew
09th Apr 2007
eduardofrances
09th Apr 2007
kdufour Silver Member
10th Apr 2007
d50gal
10th Apr 2007

HVAC GUY Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2006Thu 29-Mar-07 10:40 PM
1203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well Drew, truth be known I wish my Nikon 50mm 1.4 which was from my N80 days was a 30mm or 35mm 1.4 but it isn't, still it gives me the ability to shoot at relatively low ISOs in low light conditions and still maintain a fast enough shutter speed to arrest most action blur.

So while it no longer is the old 50 as far as FOV it still is faster than my zooms, which when used indoors usually require much higher ISOs to get decent results so I have not been able to give it up just yet.

The other thing it allows me to do is hand hold night shots when the FOV will work that my other lens even with VR cannot do at reasonably low ISOs.

I have found like most others here that if I need to raise the ISO the lenses speed usually allows me to get enough light into the image that the noise is less of a problem as well.

But no it is not my number 1 lens, which is actually the 18-200VR

Barry

If it isn't a Nikon, it's just another camera

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 29-Mar-07 10:47 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

I've got the 50/1.8 and yes, it's almost a portrait lens, and I don't really shoot portraits. For low-light candids, for me probably kids opening Christmas presents or something like that, 50mm is too tight, and for that I prefer my 35/2.0 which I find to be a very natural focal length on D50. The 35mm gets more use than the 50mm. I do use the 50/1.8 with Kenko tubes for macro. I also carry the 50, 35, and Sigma 10-20 for an light walk around kit for low-light street photography.

If you want a fast normal lens, you could get D40 + the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM (for about the cost of a D80). You could also manual focus a 50/1.8 or 35/2.0 on a D40. You could also find a D50 or a used D70s. Decisions...

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery New (and improving): PMA 2007 Road Trip

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 29-Mar-07 11:47 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

Like many I also have a 50mm f1.8 and love it but after the initial burst of lust wore off and we settled down to a longer term relationship I find that the lens stays in my camera bag much more than it used to. I've actually gone back to using my 18-55 kit lens more because it's actually pretty good for me at least despite what some lens snobs say and I seem to be taking a lot of shots in the 20 - 40mm range.
I won't replace or sell the 50mm but I think a lens in the 20-40 type range that has good low light capabilities is probably not too far away.
I just hope that there is no major jealousy inside my camera bag.

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 29-Mar-07 11:41 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>The only think holding me up is my desire to use my 50mm 1.8
>lens. I love that lens on my F75. It's on 90% of the time.
> When I go digital, that is the only lens I will keep.
>
>So D80 looks like the camera for me, but it's 1K. D40 is
>all I need if I could let go of this need to use the 50mm.
>
>Let me ask this: 50mm is good for low light. If I was to
>bump up ISO, I could do low light, correct? Yes, 50mm could
>go lower. We can keep on going with this....

ok, the 50 1.8 will Autofocus with D80

it won't Auotofocus with D40.

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Fri 30-Mar-07 12:00 AM
5738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naperville, US

It's hard to change away from an old favorite. I just don't know if I could completely give up my prime lenses, primarily for their ease of carry. My wife has a D70s, I have a D200. I also have a closet full of 50's from my film days (which I still shoot, because of the 50). I hope Nikon eventually makes a normal lens that will work on the D40.

However when I want that film 50mm FOV experience on a DSLR, I really like to use my wife's D70s and my 35mm f/2 AFD.

The 50 is now a specialty lens and it gets used less and less, mostly with the grandkids for special events. My 35mm f/2 is a great lens, but it's still not my 50mm f/1.4 AFD.

I rarely get to use my wife's D70s, but when I do, I put a zoom on my D200 and the 35mm f/2 on the D70s and I'm really happy. I'm seriously considering picking up a D70s for just my business travel and using it exclusively with my 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4. It should really shine as my camera for evening walks after meetings. I would go with the D50 while they are still available but I've gotten really stuck on the versatility of the commander mode of the built in strobe.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

wijnands Registered since 11th Aug 2006Fri 30-Mar-07 08:02 AM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 5

NL

I use my 50 a LOT! I like it because of it's 1.8 aperture and that it forces me to pay a lot more attention to my framing. My sample is also very usable in manual focus.

If you insist on AF and you're on a budget why not a D50?

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 31-Mar-07 07:06 AM
3249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 6

Camberley, GB

An interesting question and one that I guess comes down to the individual.
I have a 50/1.8 that I rarely use with my D50.
I bought it having seen so many recommendations on the Nikonian forums. What I hadn't done was think it out... what would I actually use it for?
As I shoot a lot of interior/exterior shots of old buildings I find that 50mm is for the most part too long. On the rare occasion where it is suitable it gives me the ability to have a decent attempt at low light, but then the DOF tends to be insufficient for what I want, so I continue to use the 18-55 kit lens and a tripod.

This is no criticism of the lens (and certainly not of the price)... just a criticism of my own thinking at the time of purchase.
Derek
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

drFrank Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2006Sat 31-Mar-07 10:26 AM
889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens? I do..."
In response to Reply # 7

Beaver Falls, US

I use it more and more. I like the speed and am amazed how sharp the pictures come out. I did an event this past weekend (princess ball) and took most of the pictures with the 50mm f/1.8 The parents loved the portraits done with the lens.

I also did baby dedications at the church (15) this past weekend and used the 50 almost exclusively. The only time I put the 18-55 on was for "large" family shots. However, the "sharpness" of the 50 is amazing and causes me to second guess using the 18-55...

For a general walk around, it might be a little "tight" but I like the FOV. Oftentimes, I leave my 55-200 on my D50. I like the ability to zoom in and "capture" the activity.

For both my moms 70th bday and my father in laws 81st party I left the 50 on exclusively.

If I had the extra cash, I would look to purchase a 2.8 zoom in the 28-70 range or something similar. I like being able to take pictures without a flash. Utilizing the natural light.

frank

drFrank
www.frankkendralla.com
www.kendrallaphotography.com
www.kendralla.com

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 31-Mar-07 02:51 PM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I barely use my 50/f1.8 AFD at all. I have a 50/f1.8 Series E that gets use on my film bodies, but I do virtually no portrait work, and my 50/f1.8 AFD is pretty much idle. I'd sell it but it won't really finance anything else, so I haven't bothered.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Peter in PA Registered since 05th Aug 2006Sun 01-Apr-07 07:07 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

all the time! I love it. Yes, my 18-200 is my main lens. I have a 55mm micro for close stuff, but the 50mm f1.8 is so amazingly sharp and costs less than a great filter. Every bag should have one. When the lights go out, it comes out of hiding. I love it. I would like a 30 or 35mm fast lens in addition, might eventually get the Sigma, but for now, it fills the bill... NICELY...

hs_r2d2 Registered since 24th Aug 2006Sun 01-Apr-07 10:51 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 10

Shannon Hills, US

I just repurchased the 50mm f1.8 (my "old" one needed repair nad the repair cots was about as much as a new lens).

I had a nice opportunity the day after I got it. A good friend stopped by with his 6 week old daughter, and of course that just worked perfect. I got some very nice pics indoors, did not have to use flash, just used the natural light coming in throught the window. The pics were just amazing, lighting was right on, back ground perfectly blurred, the focal length equivalent of 75 mm worked wonderful, and since I did not have to use a flash, the baby was very relaxed about it.

Later that day we went fishing with niece and nephew, and again, the 50mm did not disappoint. Great color, very sharp pictures.

My suggestion, really try this lens for several shooting events, imagine that it is the only focal length available for cameras, and yes zooming means walking back and forth. You'll be surprised how well this lens will do.

Hans

gryphon1911 Registered since 16th May 2006Mon 02-Apr-07 03:55 PM
450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Do you really need a 50mm f/1.8? Unless you are a professional, you really don't need it.

However, for the price, it's hard to beat if you desire to shoot in low light nad you have the room to use it. I just shot a martial arts tournament and I would not have gotten the picture quality that I desired using my 28-200 zoom.

I understand the frustration of having something too close, as the 50mm can be using the crop factor of the current digitals. I'm currently looking into getting a good 20 thru 35mm f/.8+ for just that reason. However, with some ingenuity on my part, I was able to get all the shots that I wanted with the 50mm.

I'd say I use mine 40% of the time. 50% is the 28-200mm, then 10% using the 100mm macro.

Andrew
D300, D50, N90s

http://www.bestlightphoto.net

CatSplat Registered since 17th Sep 2006Tue 03-Apr-07 03:53 AM
250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

The 50mm, being a 75mm equivalent on digital, makes an excellent portrait lens! I find the classic 85mm portrait lens to be too long on the crop bodies, so the inexpensive 50mm makes a perfect replacement.

- Trevor Miles (a Calgary Nikonian)
www.osphoto.ca
"Kick reason to the curb! Who do you think we are?"

mnmleung Registered since 06th Feb 2006Tue 03-Apr-07 06:06 AM
96 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 13

Brisbane, AU

I have a D50 and have been using my 50mm f/1.4 AIS for low light.

I recently switched to 28mm f/2.8 AIS (which has CRC for close up) and this lens pretty much stays on my D50. Getting used to guessing exposure and focus ...

I don't use the kit lens much at all. And whatever else I use is all AI or AIS now.

Ming
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85833338@N00/sets/72157600038982299/

Mark Leung, Brisbane, Australia
http://home.blarg.net/~volvo242gt/Prong.jpg

Tecant Registered since 05th Oct 2006Wed 04-Apr-07 12:50 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 14

West Allis, US

I read this topic with interest since the 50/f1.8 will probably be my next lens purchase. I like working with available light whenever possible. The only thing that holds me back is the 1.5x crop factor, which makes me wonder if the 35/f2 or Sigma 30/f1.4 might be the better choice, especially indoors. Still, the price of the 50/f1.8 fits my budget.

Tecant
A Milwaukee Nikonian

Johnno Registered since 04th Oct 2006Wed 04-Apr-07 01:02 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 14

Bonn, DE

I took four lenses to a concert on Saturday: 17-50 2.8, 28-75 2.8, 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8. The only one I didn't use was the 50mm as it was covered by both the zooms.

I really only use it at concerts now when the light is too low for the 2.8's and I'm too close for the 85mm 1.8. Sad really, as it was the only fast lens I had for a while and got some great shots.

The 50mm picture quality is still better than on the zooms but I'd rather take the slightly poorer image and get the right composition.
That's partly down to my D50 which with 'only' 6MP limits my cropping options somewhat, but despite the 50mm nearly always seeming to get too close for the right composition it stays in my bag for low light emergencies.

- People judge you by the pictures they see, not the pictures you take. Be selective.

teb1013 Registered since 24th May 2006Fri 06-Apr-07 04:54 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 16

Easton, US

I use the 50mm f 1.8 lens with my D50 frequently for portraits, the ability to use handheld without flash is a great advantage.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

eduardofrances Registered since 28th Oct 2006Fri 06-Apr-07 06:12 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

SV

If you need something to resemble your 50mm in film, then you can check the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, the lens will do AF in the D40/40x, it will give you a shallower DOF, and with the field of view crop it will a 45mm (only 5mm shy of the 50mm)

I feel the need of 50mm in digital cause it is a cheap portrait lens , but for other photographers may be different, GoLowDrew, What kind of photography you do? portraits, lanscape, street, etc?

GoLowDrew Registered since 26th Jan 2007Mon 09-Apr-07 03:01 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 18

US

I just got my D50. I will be using the 50mm for indoor shoots of my baby son.

New to Nikon (again)

eduardofrances Registered since 28th Oct 2006Mon 09-Apr-07 05:16 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 19

SV

>I just got my D50. I will be using the 50mm for indoor
>shoots of my baby son.

Glad to hear you choose the D50 you won't regret it
I took this shot of my friends son http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45458269/?qo=37&q=by%3Aeduardofrench&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps with a D50 a 50mm f/1.8 and an SB 600 if you want to couple your 50mm f/1.8 with a flash gun, the SB-400 is a good option

Enjoy your passion a lot capturing those precious moments of your baby!!

kdufour Silver Member Nikonian since 06th May 2006Tue 10-Apr-07 01:57 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 20

Columbia, US

I have a 50 mm lens. I'm very impressed with the speed, especially in the low light. It is also great for photos at family gatherings. I tend to use my zoom more though b/c I enjoy shooting nature.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

d50gal Registered since 10th Apr 2007Tue 10-Apr-07 11:11 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Do you really use your 50mm lens?"
In response to Reply # 20

US

I just recently got a 50mm and I was wondering, I have a photoflex small size softbox. If I bounce it off of a wall, can I get away without a sb 600? Or is it a good idea to still get the flash for a natural light finish?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #16450 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.