nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #16363
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 will not AF" Previous topic | Next topic
Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Wed 28-Mar-07 08:24 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 will not AF"

US

I got my D50 right after the family pack came out, so its around a year old.
There was a freek rain storm that washed through the neighborhood I was in. The camera was in the car, so I grabbed it. On a whim, I had tryed some MF to try to catch the drops. When I put the camera back into AF, the focal ring locked, like the motor had engaged, but the AF assist light would not come on, and the focal ring would not travel.

Its doing this on my 28-55mm and the 55-300mm.
symptoms are the same with the assist on and off

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 will not AF
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
28th Mar 2007
Zipper
28th Mar 2007
Zipper
29th Mar 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
30th Mar 2007
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
30th Mar 2007
Zipper
30th Mar 2007
Zipper
31st Mar 2007
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
31st Mar 2007

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 28-Mar-07 08:36 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D50 will not AF"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Do you have both the AF/MF switch on the lens and the one on the camera set to AF? The camera should travel through the AF range and end on infinity regardless of whether it can find a target.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery New (and improving): PMA 2007 Road Trip

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Wed 28-Mar-07 09:00 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 will not AF"
In response to Reply # 1

US

THe switch is just on the body. The lenses where the cheep ones (cheep being relitive I have learned with cameras).
The fact that the lens will not travel what so ever is what concerns me. It takes pics fine on MF, but will not travel on AF

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 29-Mar-07 10:50 PM
#3. "RE: D50 will not AF"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sounds like need to go over to Nikon, by the befuddled look on your faces. I kinda figured so

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 30-Mar-07 01:32 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D50 will not AF"
In response to Reply # 3

Livermore, CA, US

I was hoping someone would chime in wither another idea.

Sorry to say, looks like a call to Nikon is in order.

My Nikonians gallery New (and improving): PMA 2007 Road Trip

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 30-Mar-07 06:56 AM
9853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 will not AF"
In response to Reply # 4

Memphis, US

Sorry zipper you said the lens have no A/F are they Sigma or Tamron?

I have been playing with my D50 and I couldn't think of a setting other than the AF switch that has already been mentioned. Call Nikon hopefully your still under warrrenty and will not only get a fixed camera but a full check up and cleaning at the end to give you the feeling of a new D50 again.

Please let us know what happens all to often we never hear what it was we learn to with the final verdict. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Fri 30-Mar-07 12:59 PM
#6. "RE: D50 will not AF"
In response to Reply # 5

US

The lenses are Nikon. The 28-20MM 1:3.3-5.6G and the 70-300MM 1:4-5.6G

My problem is, theres an airshow this weekend, and now my cameras acting up

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Sat 31-Mar-07 04:54 AM
#7. "RE: D50 will not AF"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Called up Nikon help. Ran through what the camera was set to, then lens, if it has one, ect

They then walked me through resetting it
Held down the timer and the bracket button. Wait for the screen on top to blink. Whent to the Menu>Pencil> Menu Reset

NOW IT WORKS! YIPPY!

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 31-Mar-07 07:34 AM
9853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D50 will not AF"
In response to Reply # 7

Memphis, US

Alrught enjoy the airshow bud, glad Nikin helped you out!!!! JIm

Hey we want to see some airshow pics now.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #16363 Previous topic | Next topic