Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #16334
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which lens to get for D50..." Previous topic | Next topic
blueskymama Registered since 18th Mar 2007Tue 27-Mar-07 07:17 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which lens to get for D50..."

I've located a d50 body and would appreciate recommendations on lenses to go with it. I take indoor/outdoor shots of my wiggly 3 year old, I also like taking closeups of still life. I have a very small budget ~$150, so an all purpose lens might be good. Should I just get the 18-55mm(kit lens)? I'll be getting the 50mm f1.8 in May. Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which lens to get for D50...
hwdx347 Silver Member
27th Mar 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
27th Mar 2007
James23p Moderator
27th Mar 2007
AEDigman
27th Mar 2007
blueskymama
28th Mar 2007
wijnands
28th Mar 2007
AEDigman
28th Mar 2007
Tecant
31st Mar 2007
hwdx347 Silver Member
29th Mar 2007

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 27-Mar-07 07:25 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 0

Maumelle, US

See if you can find a used Nikon 18-70 lens at B&H or KEH.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 27-Mar-07 07:29 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 1

Livermore, CA, US

Your budget seriously limits your choice. I agree with Hedley, a used 18-70 would be best, but most I see are ~$200. Barring that, the 18-55 is not bad.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery New (and improving): PMA 2007 Road Trip

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 27-Mar-07 07:32 PM
9475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 1

Memphis, US

Finding a 18-70 for 150 bucs will be hard, the 18-55 is excellent. The picture quality is great probobly as good as the the 18-70 just a tad less range, and the speed and build of the 18-70 is much better but the price and picture quality is great.

The 50 will give you a good low light lens so you will be set. I have the 18-55DX and it is a gem. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

AEDigman Registered since 21st Aug 2006Tue 27-Mar-07 11:43 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Dittos on the 18-55. I picked one up recently for a trip to Disney World and was very pleased with the results. I found it to be a more than acceptable 'walk around' lens. For the price, you can't beat it. The 50mm is an excellent choice, too. I've owned one since last year and have been VERY pleased with the results. The quality and colors can't be beaten, especially at price point that the 50mm goes for.

Best of luck -

Alan

My Images Can Be Viewed At http://www.3cimages.com

Everybody Ought To Believe In Something...I Believe I'll Go Fishing - Sam & Omie's Restaurant, Nags Head, NC

blueskymama Registered since 18th Mar 2007Wed 28-Mar-07 04:51 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 4

Thank you all. I shopped around online for the 18-55mm Nikkor lens and somehow amazon and b&h have them on backorder. I might just order the 50mm f1.8 first and then the 18-55mm in May.

wijnands Registered since 11th Aug 2006Wed 28-Mar-07 06:20 AM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 5

NL

Wouldn't be a bad decision. You could also check craiglist, ebay or another place where people sell used gear. There's still an ample supply of hardly touched 18-55s because of people buying the 18-200 or other super zooms.

AEDigman Registered since 21st Aug 2006Wed 28-Mar-07 11:29 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 5

US

The new version is on backorder at Adorama, too. However, Adorama does have a Nikon refurb version of the lens for $99 as of this morning.

Happy Shooting!

Alan

My Images Can Be Viewed At http://www.3cimages.com

Everybody Ought To Believe In Something...I Believe I'll Go Fishing - Sam & Omie's Restaurant, Nags Head, NC

Tecant Registered since 05th Oct 2006Sat 31-Mar-07 01:25 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 5

West Allis, US

On a limited budget the 18-55mm is an excellent choice.

I just checked Adorama and they showed a refurbished (by Nikon) 18-55mm lens for $99. The new 18-55mm ED II is not in stock yet.

They also show a refurbished Nikon 28-80mm for $59. Because of the 1.5x crop factor it is not as ideal a standard zoom for a DSLR as the 18-55mm but is dirt cheap. When I bought my 18-70mm a month ago, I sold my silver 28-80mm on Ebay for $39.

The 50/f1.8 is a great fast lens, a bargain at the price, and will be my next lens purchase. However, with the 1.5x crop factor it is effectively a 75mm lens. That will limit you a bit indoors where you can't back up very far.

I've had my D50 for three months and love it. I have been impressed with the quality and sharpness of even the least expensive Nikon lenses.

Good luck.

Tecant
A Milwaukee Nikonian

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberThu 29-Mar-07 01:44 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which lens to get for D50..."
In response to Reply # 0

Maumelle, US

There's an 18-70 for sale here
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID23/20603.html

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #16334 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.