Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15927
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide Angle Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
face555 Registered since 13th Mar 2007Thu 15-Mar-07 03:50 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wide Angle Lens"

Hi, why is the AF-S DX 12-24mm 4.0G ED-IF priced much higer than the lens that comes with the D40 (18-55 DX). Is it better in quality or specs or is it just because its wide angle?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wide Angle Lens
tronic
15th Mar 2007
greenwing Gold Member
15th Mar 2007
sewwhatsports
16th Mar 2007
greenwing Gold Member
16th Mar 2007
face555
22nd Mar 2007
dclarhorn Moderator
22nd Mar 2007
hwdx347 Silver Member
16th Mar 2007
face555
22nd Mar 2007
greenwing Gold Member
23rd Mar 2007
edmun
25th Mar 2007

tronic Registered since 02nd May 2006Thu 15-Mar-07 04:14 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Generally because the 12-24 is a super wide angle lens and also because of its better bokeh than the 18-55.

Both are fine lenses; they are just optimized for somewhat different shooting situations.

Also, the 12-24 is f/4.0 (at all focal lengths) which makes it better than the 18-55 at the longer end (f/5.6) at capturing light. This may matter in certain situations. The difference between f/4.0 and f/5.6 is one full f-stop which means the 12-24 can take in twice the light -- or looked at from a different perspective, work in half the light the 18-55 needs for an equivalent photo.

EDIT: added another comment.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 15-Mar-07 07:02 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Yorkshire, GB

The 18-55 lens is also much more a mass-produced lens. Body and mount are plastic, not that there's anything wrong with that. Nikon will make & sell close to one of these lenses for every D40/D40x/D50 produced. How many 12-24s will they sell? I'd guess at significantly less than 10% of Nikon owners buying a new one. Factor in the tooling costs for what is a pretty complicated assembly, and there's your answer.

Why is the Nikkor 12-24 so much more expensive than the Tokina 12-24? Mostly, because it's a Nikkor.

sewwhatsports Registered since 03rd May 2007Fri 16-Mar-07 01:54 AM
945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 2

US

"Why is the Nikkor 12-24 so much more expensive than the Tokina 12-24? Mostly, because it's a Nikkor."

So what is the difference in price between the 2 lenses? And is there a perceptible difference in the glass that would justify the increased cost with the Nikkor name?

I am really interested in this lens to as one of the 2 I want to get to complete my kit. (The other is at least a 300mm or 400mm zoom of some sort, preferably with VR.) But with the costs of the glass I want I am going to have to save for a while to satisfy this NAS.

Rena in Delaware
Knowledge is the power behind the lens.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 16-Mar-07 08:19 AM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Yorkshire, GB

Check out the Nikonians review of superwide zooms here. You can also find many threads on the Sigma 10-20 & Tokina 12-24 in the 3rd Paty Lenses forum.

NAS cannot be satisfied!

Chris

face555 Registered since 13th Mar 2007Thu 22-Mar-07 08:59 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you tronic what does bokeh mean? Also if I purchse the wide angle would it make my 18-55 useless? What do you think of the 50 MM f/1.8d I know the auto focus won't work on the d40 and would have to use it manually...but everyone is saying its a must have.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Thu 22-Mar-07 09:31 PM
13986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Berwyn Heights, US

>Also if I purchse the wide angle would it make my 18-55 useless?

No, it will still work.

Seriously, only you will know if the focal range is still useful to you.

For the 50 f1.8, "must have" is a relative term. If you shoot in low light, the fast aperture will come in handy and may help you get a shot at a particular shutterspeed that would be impossible with a slower lens. "Must have?" Well, if you're getting paid and have to get a shot in those conditions, I'd say it's a must have. If you're not getting paid, it's an "I want."

Dan L.
http://larussoweb.com

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberFri 16-Mar-07 04:53 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Maumelle, US

It's more expensive for all the reasons you mention. Have you considered a Tokina 12-24 for less than $500?

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

face555 Registered since 13th Mar 2007Thu 22-Mar-07 09:04 PM
#7. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 5

No is it as good? I never tried anything other than Nikor...

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 23-Mar-07 07:44 AM
#9. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 7

Yorkshire, GB

See my reply no. 4 above.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 25-Mar-07 10:21 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Wide Angle Lens"
In response to Reply # 9

eugene, US

There is a tradition in the camera world -- regardless of brand.

The kit lens is to get you hooked on the system.

Then all other lens are more. (with some exceptions)

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15927 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.