Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15597
View in linear mode

Subject: "R.I.P. D50" Previous topic | Next topic
K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 06-Mar-07 09:57 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"R.I.P. D50"

Melbourne, AU

The announcement of the D40x must finally convince those who still think that the D50 is a current model that Nikon really has finished with this great camera body.
It's now impossible to believe that the D50 or the D70 models are anything other than "previous" camera bodies.
I would just like to mark this moment by saying that I will continue to use my D50 until the day it or I are no longer capable of taking photos. I may buy a new camera body at some stage but my D50 will always be nearby and ready for action.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: R.I.P. D50
Covey22 Moderator
06th Mar 2007
jgreene1672
06th Mar 2007
nosingchum Silver Member
06th Mar 2007
jgreene1672
06th Mar 2007
greenwing Gold Member
06th Mar 2007
K1W1
06th Mar 2007
greenwing Gold Member
06th Mar 2007
eddie_kawasaki
10th Mar 2007
Drbee Silver Member
06th Mar 2007
CatSplat
07th Mar 2007
James23p Moderator
07th Mar 2007
ryanP
07th Mar 2007
scottl
08th Mar 2007
BevanW
09th Mar 2007
cecat90
09th Mar 2007
greenwing Gold Member
09th Mar 2007
cecat90
09th Mar 2007
bill500 Silver Member
10th Mar 2007
britkev
10th Mar 2007
csgaraglino Silver Member
10th Mar 2007
K1W1
11th Mar 2007
dclarhorn Moderator
11th Mar 2007
joeciccone
22nd Mar 2007
darendt
25th Mar 2007
kgendron12
25th Mar 2007
Tecant
27th Mar 2007
cecat90
27th Mar 2007

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 06-Mar-07 11:43 AM
10787 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just because a camera's discontinued doesn't mean it's not capable of taking great pictures. A moment of silence for the D50. But then keep on clicking the shutter!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jgreene1672 Registered since 06th Feb 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 01:56 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 1

Brooklyn, US

Actually if nikon is shifting the d40 to the 10mp sensor, itd make sense to keep the d50, as it makes a better holder between the d40x, then the original d40, however I personally dont consider the d40x to be an improvement on the d50 at all, its just gonna have more noise, My bet is nikon makes a last big shipment of D50s and sells them at rock bottom to make some quick cash.

My pitiful online portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgreene1672/

nosingchum Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2005Tue 06-Mar-07 02:48 PM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, CA

I disagree. PopPhoto reviews of the D50 and D40x indicate that the D40x has a "very low" noise rating at ISO 1600 compared with just "low" for the D50.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/1505/camera-test-nikon-d50-page2.html
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3896/camera-test-nikon-d40x-small-size-big-features-page2.html

There's not much reason I see to keep the D50 around - it's time to move on!

a D50 owner,
Simon

A Richmond, B.C. Nikonian
- FM2n, F100, D300, D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jgreene1672 Registered since 06th Feb 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 04:06 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Brooklyn, US

sorry, I hadn't read the review, doubted anyone would've had a chance to review it yet since it just came out yesterday. Not sure how valid the review is, but if thats true then its surprising, usually the higher the mega pixels squeezed into the same space tend to create light loss and lead to high noise, my bad.

My pitiful online portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgreene1672/

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 07:55 PM
1302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Yorkshire, GB

popphoto don't give figures for the D50 noise, but D40x is somewhat higher than the D40 at all ISOs, especially 800-1600.

I agree that it's about time there was a body with the D50's advantages over the D40 - more AF points, screwdriver AF - at a price point below the D80.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 06-Mar-07 08:56 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

>Actually if nikon is shifting the d40 to the 10mp sensor,
>itd make sense to keep the d50, as it makes a better holder
>between the d40x, then the original d40, however I
>personally dont consider the d40x to be an improvement on
>the d50 at all, its just gonna have more noise, My bet is
>nikon makes a last big shipment of D50s and sells them at
>rock bottom to make some quick cash.

There is a small problem with that argument.
Sony no longer manufacture the 6MP CCD. D40 cameras have been using the 10MP CCD for some time it is just that it's crippled in the firmware to 6MP.
For Nikon to continue with the D50 they would need to switch to the 10MP sensor and if they were going to do that they would have done so already with a D50s or D50x or whatever.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 09:12 PM
1302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 7

Yorkshire, GB

I think that someone's been reading scurrilous posts and taking them as fact!

Tom made it up

eddie_kawasaki Registered since 07th Jan 2007Sat 10-Mar-07 08:07 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 1

Alexandria, US

Imagine this, when they discontinued the design of the old 10 and 20,50 and 100 dollar bills everyone threw their old ones out because its not the newest design out, my D50 still works, and so do my old Susan B. Anthony 1 dollar coins. D50 owners all know how great the camera is, as long as it still works and you're not one of those people that are "trying to keep up with the Jones'", it will keep producing pics for you.

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Tue 06-Mar-07 03:02 PM
5803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agree that the D50 is a fine camera. I've had to put my D200 results side by side with the same photos from when I travel with friends who have a D50 and there are situations where they are snapping and I'm having to cross all the tees to compete in the after dinner show.

I have a D200 and D70s. Not everyone wants to push around 10MP files. My friends who travel with me frequently on business each have a D50. They produce great photos and the files are easy to manage on space constained computers (e.g. those loaded corporate beasts, etc). The D50 low light photos are very, very good so the D40x must really be a barn burner if it produces 10MP files of better high-ISO, low-noise IQ than the D50.

While I like my D200, I end up downsizing a huge number of photos because they just represent "album" status, not archival stock photos.

I guess those of us who dream about a 4MP D2Hs aren't so worried about the pixel race.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

CatSplat Registered since 17th Sep 2006Wed 07-Mar-07 07:33 AM
250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

R.I.P. D50, so good that you didn't even need a firmware update.

- Trevor Miles (a Calgary Nikonian)
www.osphoto.ca
"Kick reason to the curb! Who do you think we are?"

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 07-Mar-07 08:27 AM
9750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 9

Memphis, US

"R.I.P. D50, so good that you didn't even need a firmware update."

So true no banding or AF problems, not a single tweek needed from unit one! Thats why when I got my D80 my D50 has stayed with me this was one of the few DSLR's without some flaw in early production. I still call it Nikon's pleasent mistake to good for low end to close to the D70 just a great camera. JIm

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

ryanP Registered since 09th Feb 2007Wed 07-Mar-07 08:53 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

The D50 is a great camera, as is the D70 and D70s. So what if they

are over a year old, that doesnt mean that they cant take excellent

pictures. Dont get me wrong, the D40x looks like a good camera, but

I still wouldnt jump on the bandwagon.

People who say that the D50, D70, D70s are old and therefore

obsolete are usually newbies, who just ran out and bought a

D40/D40x, because some guy at Best Buy said it was a good choice.

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Thu 08-Mar-07 11:56 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 11

Ashburn, US

It has even been removed from the Nikon website.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2

Regards,
Scott

http://www.scottlubow.com
A Washington D.C. Area Nikonian

BevanW Registered since 15th Aug 2006Fri 09-Mar-07 01:59 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 12

US

The D40 is a step down from the D50...no motor drive? Most my lens will not work on a D40. It is funny but I wouldn't trade my D50 for a brand spanking new D40x because I can't imagine shooting without my 85mm f1.8...Now I would consider trading up though...D200??

No worries...My D50 is now a classic Nikon. I love it.

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Fri 09-Mar-07 05:00 AM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Folsom, US

this is good, I can now buy the D50 with two lenses for $250...yey for me... i think i will get a couple of them....

good deal huh?

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 09-Mar-07 06:33 PM
#15. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 14

Yorkshire, GB

Care to tell us where, Claudiu? I might be tempted to get 2 at that price!

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Fri 09-Mar-07 08:44 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 15

Folsom, US

>Care to tell us where, Claudiu? I might be tempted to get 2
>at that price!

Ah, my friend has connections in Chigaco, so I dont know how, but he gets them, anything for half the price so D80 or D200 for half... crazy nice deal for me

bill500 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2002Sat 10-Mar-07 01:41 AM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 16

Houston, US

The D50 has been discontinued-so what. I plan on shooting with mine for a long time. 6.1MP is certainly good enough for the kind of photography I do. I just had some pictures printed out yesterday at CVS Pharmacy. How sweet the D50 is.

Bill

Nikonian in Houston Texas

D300, D50(never gets used anymore)

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Sat 10-Mar-07 02:55 AM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 17

Philadelphia, US

>The D50 has been discontinued-so what. I plan on shooting
>with mine for a long time. 6.1MP is certainly good enough
>for the kind of photography I do. I just had some pictures
>printed out yesterday at CVS Pharmacy. How sweet the D50 is.

Ditto...

might be discontinued, but I'm nowhere near ready to bury mine just yet.

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter MemberSat 10-Mar-07 04:21 AM
647 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Not so fast; while in Wolf Camera today picking up a new battery, I ask about he price of the D40x. Not, even though they don't have any in stock, they did have a price in the computer.

It's suggested retail price is set at $799.99 (Body Only)

To me, IMHO, with the D80 available at $125 bucks more, it doesn't make $$ sense to purchase D40x, especially since they have not resolved the lens compatibility issue?

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sun 11-Mar-07 08:00 AM
#21. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 19

Melbourne, AU

>Not so fast; while in Wolf Camera today picking up a new
>battery, I ask about he price of the D40x. Not, even though
>they don't have any in stock, they did have a price in the
>computer.
>
>It's suggested retail price is set at $799.99 (Body Only)
>
>To me, IMHO, with the D80 available at $125 bucks more, it
>doesn't make $$ sense to purchase D40x, especially since
>they have not resolved the lens compatibility issue?

You are comparing the full RRP of the D40x with the discounted street price of the D80.
Wait till the D40x actually arrives on the shelves and the discount prices happen then rethink the situation.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sun 11-Mar-07 10:43 PM
14335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

BTW, my D100, which is several years older than the D50, still works like the day I got it.

Companies and models move on--the way it's always been. So what. I remember when they stopped listing my 70's vintage FE. BTW, that still works too!

Dan L.
http://larussoweb.com

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

joeciccone Registered since 17th Nov 2006Thu 22-Mar-07 08:20 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

West Palm Beach, US

>The announcement of the D40x must finally convince those who
>still think that the D50 is a current model that Nikon
>really has finished with this great camera body.
>It's now impossible to believe that the D50 or the D70
>models are anything other than "previous" camera bodies.
>I would just like to mark this moment by saying that I will
>continue to use my D50 until the day it or I are no longer
>capable of taking photos. I may buy a new camera body at
>some stage but my D50 will always be nearby and ready for
>action.

I love my D50 to death....
I passed on the D100 & D70 mostly because I have normal size hands.
Pop Photo just did a review along with photos taken with the D40.
Wasn't impressed at all. First off they shot in NYC at high noon.
If you want to impress anyone with good photos get out there early morning or late afternoon, everybody knows that.
Anyway all they want to do is to keep selling those looking for that magic camera that takes only award winning shots...

www.joe_ciccone_photo_services.ifp3.com

darendt Registered since 25th Mar 2007Sun 25-Mar-07 01:26 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 23

US

The D50 is a great camera. I know I have 0 complaints. 6MP is just fine right now. My next camera will be the one that replaces the D200. I like the D200 but am sure the next version will be much better.

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Sun 25-Mar-07 01:53 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington, US

My D50 will be my only camera for some time to come. I have no plans for upgrading in the near future. Unless of course something happens to it, then I'll first look for another D50 to replace it. With 3 kids under the age of 5, we most likely wont have the funding for a new camera body anyway.

If it weren't for the fact that the N6006 I bought in 1990 got stolen in '96 I would still have it today. In '97 I bought the N70 and it is still going strong (when it gets used anyway). So based on my history I'll probably be looking to upgrade sometime in 2015 or 2016. By then there will have been to many upgrades to cameras to figure out which one right now it would be that I'd get. Probably a 12.1MB body with the view finder of a film slr and a 3" LCD and I'll probably be able to get it for $699-899 body only.

Until then, my D50 is perfect.

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Tecant Registered since 05th Oct 2006Tue 27-Mar-07 02:05 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 25

West Allis, US

I bought my D50 three months ago, after the D40 came out, primarily because I already owned some non-AF-S lenses. I am very happy with the D50. It's the best camera I have ever owned.

If I had a wad of money burning a hole in my pocket I might be interested in the D200. First, I have to get my Nikon Fund out of a deficit situation. Any extra $$ I have in the near future will go for glass. First the 50/f1.8 and then upgrade my 70-300G to the 70-300vr.

I still keep my N75 + Tokina 19-35zoom for when I want to shoot extra-wide. The Nikon 12-14DX is way out of my price range.

My biggest limitation as an amateur photographer is not my camera body but my skill, knowledge and creativity.

Tecant
A Milwaukee Nikonian

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Tue 27-Mar-07 04:02 AM
#27. "RE: R.I.P. D50"
In response to Reply # 26

Folsom, US

>My biggest limitation as an amateur photographer is not my
>camera body but my skill, knowledge and creativity.

yes, many people forget that they have the camera's, most of us, for the purpose of taking great pictures, however some people get so into it, like focusing only on the owning and material part that they forget the photographic part to it...

great point, creativity is sometimes a challenge, because you sometimes see the big picture and need to look more at the details, at least for me.... my skill has been improving with more practice and shooting.

D50 is still a very great camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15597 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.