nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15559
View in linear mode

Subject: "The D40X full review is now avalable" Previous topic | Next topic
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Wed 16-Jan-08 02:16 PM
35666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The D40X full review is now avalable"

and the thoughts of our Chief Editor Tom Boné can be read here.

Also, we have a D40X hands-on review at the eZine #34

UPDATE
LetsGoDigital has completed their comprehensive full review, and it is now available in English, German, French and Nederland versions, and includes a large selection of downloadable samples.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The D40X is here Rickard_F
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
06th Mar 2007
     Reply message RE: The D40X is here Rickard_F
06th Mar 2007
     Reply message RE: The D40X is here nikosR
06th Mar 2007
          Reply message RE: The D40X is here SVA
06th Mar 2007
               Reply message RE: The D40X is here nikosR
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here SVA
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here GoLowDrew
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here greenwing Gold Member
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here kenchie
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here JamesRGeib Silver Member
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here Z06lust
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here jamesvoortman Silver Member
06th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here fgottlieb
08th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here greenwing Gold Member
08th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here allenshelley
09th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
09th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here peter wijn
14th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here salmanjalis
29th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here pwfletcher
29th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here pwfletcher
29th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here Bravin Neff
30th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here cameron4
05th Apr 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here ansdguy
11th Apr 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here D804vibes
23rd May 2007
     Reply message RE: The D40X is here Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
23rd May 2007
23rd May 2007
               Reply message RE: The D40X is here Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
23rd May 2007
23rd May 2007
24th May 2007
                         Reply message RE: D40x Vs D80 D804vibes
25th May 2007
                              Reply message RE: D40x Vs D80 Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
25th May 2007
24th May 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here salival
15th Apr 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X is here ansdguy
17th Apr 2007
     Reply message RE: The D40X is here Pestanikon
18th Apr 2007
Reply message RE: The D40X full review is now avalable dhanjalj
09th Sep 2007

Rickard_F   Karlstad, SE  Registered since 16th Dec 2005 Tue 06-Mar-07 07:06 AM
270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

The D40X is here and the forum hasnt been updated, yet the D3 is not here and that forum was updated days ago.
Go figure

/ Rick

"when operating the diopter adjustment control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidently"

-D2Hs Semper fidelis

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills   Paignton, UK  Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003 Tue 06-Mar-07 09:26 AM
29567 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 1

Rick,

This is an "X" version of an existing camera. The title of the D1 and later D2 Forum was never changed when X and H versions of those models were released.

Can't we just enjoy this announcement without having a moan...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Rickard_F   Karlstad, SE  Registered since 16th Dec 2005 Tue 06-Mar-07 09:36 AM
270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 3

Sorry
no malice intended, just that the anticipation of a D3 is making me moan all over.

Cheers
Rick

"when operating the diopter adjustment control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidently"

-D2Hs Semper fidelis

nikosR   Athens, GR  Basic Member Tue 06-Mar-07 09:59 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 3

But the D70 one was...

Nikos
A Nikonian from Athens, Greece

SVA   CH  Registered since 27th Jun 2004 Tue 06-Mar-07 02:07 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 5

it was an "s" model, not "h" or "x"

Vladimir
Russian Nikonian in Switzerland

nikosR   Athens, GR  Basic Member Tue 06-Mar-07 05:11 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 6

Huh?

Nikos
A Nikonian from Athens, Greece

SVA   CH  Registered since 27th Jun 2004 Tue 06-Mar-07 09:25 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

Now when D2hs is not with us any more - why not to make a D40h with Nikon 4.1 MP sensor?

Vladimir
Russian Nikonian in Switzerland

GoLowDrew   US  Registered since 26th Jan 2007 Tue 06-Mar-07 02:12 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

Any chance that there will be battery grip (3rd party) for the D40 body now that the D40X has made this body into a real player against the bigger boys?

New to Nikon (again)

greenwing Gold Member  Yorkshire, UK  Nikonian since 18th May 2006 Tue 06-Mar-07 09:47 PM
1304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 7

So, let's buy a small, light, camera, and stick a chunk of plastic on it to make it bigger, heavier, and uglier?

kenchie   London, UK  Registered since 27th Feb 2007 Tue 06-Mar-07 06:32 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

I am absolutely gutted about this. I bought a D40 last week! Now I know why most of the shops didn't have any in stock. I nearly didn't get it because of the 6 megapixels and the lack of 100 ISO, but decided to get one on the spur of the moment. How I wish I'd waited!! Anyone want to buy a nearly new D40?!

JamesRGeib Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 28th Feb 2007 Tue 06-Mar-07 08:55 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 9

If it's only a week old, you can probably return it.

Z06lust     Registered since 24th Nov 2006 Tue 06-Mar-07 09:00 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 9

Ken--don't be upset......are you a professional? Are you making constant prints above 13 x 19?...If not don't get caught up in the megapixel game. I seriously doubt you'd be getting better pics with the new 'x". ....sorry I don't buy used...I have a D200 but I'm adding a second smaller body for light carrying on my trips to Europe--seriously take a look at the first reviews over a PopPhoto etc...the NOISE levels of the new 'x' version- they are HIGHER with the new camera at 400, 800 and 1600...dropping from iso 200 to 100 is a minus not a plus...

As for me--I just ordered my 'back up' from Amazon--just did so while I can still get it--the 'old' D40...I want, need LOW noise for interior work (old churches where flashes are forbidden....)

Don't fret over the meg jump--its about marketing to unknowing buyers...you made the right call--be happy. If you do out grow the 40 and print big etc...in a yr you'll want an '90' or '300' etc and the money saved over not buying the more expensive 'x' version will come in handy.

jamesvoortman Silver Member  Durban, ZA  Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004 Tue 06-Mar-07 09:31 PM
1228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 9

Don't worry about this. Unless you plan really large enlargements, 6Mp is enough. I have made razor sharp A3 prints from a 5 Mp Canon point-n-shoot and bigger from my D70(with 6Mp). In spite of having a D200 I still shoot happily with my D70 rather than changing lenses onto the D200 all the time.

You get more photographic milage out of your lenses anyway, digital camera bodies come and go.

JamesV

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fgottlieb   US  Registered since 01st Jun 2006 Thu 08-Mar-07 02:47 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

So now that the D40x is here, what is the point of spending more money on the D80? It seems that the only advantage is the additional focusing points and the LCD. That's a $200 difference.

greenwing Gold Member  Yorkshire, UK  Nikonian since 18th May 2006 Thu 08-Mar-07 08:02 PM
1304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 14

Here in the UK, the D80 body can be had for £530 (or possibly less). The same dealer is taking D40x kit orders at £599. I know which camera I'd be buying if I was spending that kind of money, and it doesn't have an x in its name.

Chris

allenshelley     Registered since 12th Dec 2006 Fri 09-Mar-07 06:41 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: The D40X is here"

>So now that the D40x is here, what is the point of spending
>more money on the D80? It seems that the only advantage is
>the additional focusing points and the LCD. That's a $200
>difference.

Actually, the LCD on the D40x is the same 2.5" one used on the D80. However, I think the real difference (not necessarily advantage) is the wider range of adjustments on the D80...particularly the more "direct access" to features/adjustments due to more fixed buttons on the D80.

Me...I'm really just looking for a P&S that will not have the long delay between shots. I don't care to mess with all those adjustments. Just give the ability to point and shoot quickly between shots and give me good pictures right out of the camera and I'm good to go. So for me, the D40 or D40x is perfect.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills   Paignton, UK  Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003 Fri 09-Mar-07 10:21 PM
29567 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: The D40X is here"

>It seems that the only advantage is
>the additional focusing points and the LCD.

There is quite a bit more than that, for example the ability of the D80 to AF with "screwdriver" lenses...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

peter wijn   Utrecht, NL  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Wed 14-Mar-07 11:48 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

this is a very good commercial idea of nikon. Make a compact line of camera's with each different features adjusted to the needs of the customers - and thus at minimum development and advertising costs.
If the image quality is similar to D80/D200, it is similar to that of D2x. That is quite something for this price.

good thinking nikon!
(i'll stick to my d200, the camera which made me concentrate on the subject and my relation to it)

listen carefully ..

salmanjalis   Karachi, PK  Registered since 27th Mar 2007 Thu 29-Mar-07 12:23 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 18

hey everyone!!!!!!!!! i'm a new member of this community..... At first i want to buy a canon 400d but after the release of nikon d40x, i'm extremely confused.......please help me in making the right decision

pwfletcher   US  Registered since 27th Mar 2007 Thu 29-Mar-07 04:37 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

I preordered the D40x and the new 55mm-200mm VR lens and received an email today that the lens has shippped ... still waiting on the D40x though

pwfletcher   US  Registered since 27th Mar 2007 Thu 29-Mar-07 04:43 PM
#21. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 20

OK ... right after I hit send on the post above, I received another email saying that my D40x has shipped as well! In adition, I just ordered a Tamron 90mm DI Portrait Macro lens to go with it that should also be here next week.

Bravin Neff   US  Registered since 24th Aug 2007 Fri 30-Mar-07 01:12 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

Reading the first review, one of the first quotes I see is this:

"As with the D40, it is not possible to place non-CPU lenses on the Nikon D40x."

This is 100% false. I have done it every single day since January 1 with well over 10,000 clicks.

Regards,
Bravin Neff

cameron4   Calgary, CA  Registered since 21st Dec 2006 Thu 05-Apr-07 03:24 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 22

0o0ohhh its 9:30am here I was up all night cause at noon my
mum is coming to pick me up to go get my d40x. I'M STOKED!!!

Cameron Bajt
Great Rocky Mountains,
Calgary` AB` Canada.

ansdguy   San Diego, US  Registered since 10th Apr 2007 Wed 11-Apr-07 05:27 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 23

Hey Cameron4,
I'm glad to hear you good news. I purchased a D40 a week ago. I bought it on line and had it sent next day delivery. I'm 58 years old and I couldn't sleep the night before either! You would think that maturity would temper the excitment some, but NO! I'm was still like a kid waiting for Santa I know your going to love your Nikon as much as I do mine. It will open up a whole new world of fascination and beauty. Be sure and keep us updated. Some pics would be nice.

D804vibes   US  Registered since 20th May 2007 Wed 23-May-07 09:07 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 22

What do you mean? Are you saying I can use my AF lenses from my old N70 with the D40x.. Cause the local shop said I had to get the D80 if I want to use older lenses.

Also can someone really tell me the difference in functionalies I loose out on if I buy the D40x then the D80?

THANKS,

David

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Wed 23-May-07 09:47 PM
53272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 28

Hello David,

the D40x requires lenses with internal focus motors for using AF. All other lenses can be used only in MF.

Compatible lenses for using AF are Nikon's AF-S lenses and Sigma HSM lenses.

Check out this anchored thread at the top of the forum for a list of current lenses that will work fully with the D40x.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

D804vibes   US  Registered since 20th May 2007 Wed 23-May-07 09:55 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 29

But is it worth the trouble then just going with the D80 that will work already with my older AF Lenses and just getting the 18-55mm for Wide angle shots?

>Hello David,
>
>the D40x requires lenses with internal focus motors for
>using AF. All other lenses can be used only in MF.
>
>Compatible lenses for using AF are Nikon's AF-S lenses and
>Sigma HSM lenses.
>
>Check out this
>anchored
>thread> at the top of the forum for a list of current lenses
>that will work fully with the D40x.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Wed 23-May-07 10:43 PM
53272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 30

David,

It would be easier to answer, when we know what lenses you already have.

The best way is to fill out your profile.

Eala Freya Fresena

D804vibes   US  Registered since 20th May 2007 Wed 23-May-07 11:45 PM
#32. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 31

I wish I knew how to Edit my Profile

I have right now a 28-80 AF, 70-300 AF, and 24 AF.

None of which are DSLR specfic. I know I have to 28-80x 1.6

David.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Thu 24-May-07 09:24 AM
#33. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 32

David,

after log in go to the discussion main page (the "Lobby"):
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Click "User Menu" at the top

Click "Edit your preferences"

Fill in your equipment etc.

Click "Update My Profile"

Please open a new thread in this forum with your question.

Eala Freya Fresena

D804vibes   US  Registered since 20th May 2007 Fri 25-May-07 10:04 PM
#35. "RE: D40x Vs D80"
In response to Reply # 33

I just couldn't take it anymore:

1) The Lack of Sleep
2) The nawing in my Gut
3) The hole in my Pocket.

I bought the D80 with the 18-135 and Hopefully get the 18-200 Upgrade by Xmas time.

Thanks everyone for your moral support and decision making ....

David.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Fri 25-May-07 11:21 PM
#36. "RE: D40x Vs D80"
In response to Reply # 35

Congratulation on your new purchase. It´s a good decision.

Eala Freya Fresena

D804vibes   US  Registered since 20th May 2007 Thu 24-May-07 10:21 PM
#34. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 30

Ok so then what I take away from research is that:

D80 - More in line with being a True SLR and flexibility.

D40x - More for the beginner and less thought process (equilevant to the Rebel Xti sorta of thing).

David

----------------------------------------------------------
>>Hello David,
>>
>>the D40x requires lenses with internal focus motors for
>>using AF. All other lenses can be used only in MF.
>>
>>Compatible lenses for using AF are Nikon's AF-S lenses and
>>Sigma HSM lenses.
>>
>>Check out this
>>anchored
>>thread> at the top of the forum for a list of current lenses
>>that will work fully with the D40x.

salival     Registered since 15th Apr 2007 Sun 15-Apr-07 09:55 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 0

I am very exited about this camera, I ordered it and should be arriving early next week, can't wait!

ansdguy   San Diego, US  Registered since 10th Apr 2007 Tue 17-Apr-07 02:21 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 25

Very cool. The only problem is that you will find yourself desiring more lenses, a flash, more memory, a bag, a uv filter, a polarizing filter..... Need I say more? }>

Pestanikon   Porto, PT  Registered since 02nd Aug 2004 Wed 18-Apr-07 10:39 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: The D40X is here"
In response to Reply # 26

I bought my D40 Kit a month ago (500 Euro) here in Portugal and I´ve never taken so many good pictures (since then I took more than 500 pictures). I´m completelly fool about my new SLR. It´s fantastic! Very good results. With good handling and very good menus easy to understand and configure. The graphical mode is very intuitive. 2.5" LCD monitor it´s hudge and we can see all details in pictures with the zoom button. I´m using also my old analog 35-135 AF CPU nikkor lense and the results were very good.

Eyelash
(nikonmaniac)

dhanjalj   mississauga, CA  Registered since 09th Sep 2007 Sun 09-Sep-07 02:34 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: The D40X full review is now avalable"
In response to Reply # 0

Ive had my d40x for close to 2 months..i was wondering if any1 nos if nikon will release the battery grip for the d40x...and when???

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15559 Previous topic | Next topic