Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15516
View in linear mode

Subject: "Would you buy a D50 again?" Previous topic | Next topic
GoLowDrew Registered since 26th Jan 2007Mon 05-Mar-07 07:34 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Would you buy a D50 again?"

US

D50 is probably on it's way out. If you had to replace your D50 now, would you buy it again? I once think it was "perfect" for my needs, and just waiting for the right time. The time is here (within 2 months) now.

I've been looking at a DSLR, and when comparing the features and mp, D50 looks like a choice with less value. Features like dust reduction, shake reduction, and more mp.

Camera considering Sony A100 or Olympus E500.

Yes, there is the D80, but I need to stay in the $600 range.

New to Nikon (again)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Would you buy a D50 again?
Solutions Etcetera
05th Mar 2007
Whitster89 Silver Member
05th Mar 2007
kgendron12
05th Mar 2007
Solutions Etcetera
05th Mar 2007
CatSplat
05th Mar 2007
gryphon1911
05th Mar 2007
majorlk
05th Mar 2007
Banjo Dan
06th Mar 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
06th Mar 2007
jollyllama
06th Mar 2007
torment
06th Mar 2007
Tecant
06th Mar 2007
sewwhatsports
06th Mar 2007
dakar
06th Mar 2007
winclk Silver Member
06th Mar 2007
grahamhib
06th Mar 2007
drFrank Silver Member
06th Mar 2007
greenwing Gold Member
06th Mar 2007
britkev
06th Mar 2007
nosingchum Silver Member
07th Mar 2007
cecat90
09th Mar 2007
James23p Moderator
09th Mar 2007
badge2283
09th Mar 2007
bill500 Silver Member
10th Mar 2007
vz223
13th Mar 2007

Solutions Etcetera Registered since 21st Jun 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 07:47 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pollock Pines, US

In a heart beat. Do some research and you will find the dust off feature less than effective.

I do not need more pixels, and in some cases don't want them.

VR lenses are much more effective (and usable) than VR on the sensor.

My only real gripes with the D50 are...

1.) no MLU

2.) no flash commander mode

3.) no direct buttons for meter/autofocus modes (got to go through the rather poorly arranged menus to change those).

But I can live with these until something better comes along. BTW... I tried three different D80's and found I liked the look of the D50's picts better (and work exclusively with RAW). I have no problems continuing to use it until there is a D60, D90, D300, or whatever the next generation will bring us.

Scott Simon

Solutions Etcetera
http://www.solutionsetcetera.com

Whitster89 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 07:48 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

I've had my D50 for a little over a year. I would not have a problem replacing it with another D50 (I purchased a 4 yr extended protection plan for mine, so I probably wouldn't have a choice...).

If I were in the market to do a replacement, I would probably "lean" towards the D80 or even a used D200.

KenRockwell.com has a news flash today about the D40x which definitely looks to position itself to totally replace the D50.

Whit
Birmingham, AL
www.whitsphotos.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 08:44 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 2

Burlington, US

I would absolutly buy another D50. 6.1MP is more than enough on a dSLR. I've croped an image to about 75% of original size then had it enlarged to 11x14 and it looks stunning. The D50 has one of THE best high ISO performances of ALL dSLR's. The D80 is tempting with the 2.5" LCD, 2 command dials and a few other things, but it has the same sensor size but with 4 more MP's crammed in, thus making it not as good in the upper ISO (its still a great camera though).

My ultimate camera would be the D80 with a 6.1MP sensor for ultimate high ISO performance, 2.5", extra command dial, easier access of meter changing and a few other small things (maybe call it a D60? I would upgrade to that if it had these features. The D70s is already here you say, but its sensor is different and dosen't have the same high ISO performance as the D50, plus its still a 2" lcd, and I like the SD cards, though maybe being able to use 4GB cards would be usefull on some occassions). I have yet to use or found the need to use any post processing noise reduction on my pic's (just about 5,000 thus far, of course not all at ISO 800 & 1600).

I love my D50!

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Solutions Etcetera Registered since 21st Jun 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 09:52 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 3

Pollock Pines, US

Unfortunately I have heard several rumors that Sony is no longer manufacturing the 6.1MP chip used in the D50 so I doubt you will see anymore 6 MP Nikons intro'd. Hopefully better technology will result in later generation 10+ MP sensors having less hot pixels and lower amp noise. For now the D80 just isn't it. Don't know if the D200 is any better - but from what I have 'read' - it's not.

Well see what the next gens are like. Until then the D50 is the ticket for me.

Scott Simon

Solutions Etcetera
http://www.solutionsetcetera.com

CatSplat Registered since 17th Sep 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 09:48 PM
250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

For the same money, I would buy a D50 again in a heartbeat. It's such a great little camera that I'm not sure I'll ever get rid of it.

- Trevor Miles (a Calgary Nikonian)
www.osphoto.ca
"Kick reason to the curb! Who do you think we are?"

gryphon1911 Registered since 16th May 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 10:32 PM
450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Once people start getting the itch for a 10+ MP Nikon...I'll be there to buy their D50 up for pennies on the dollar!

I love the D50 and it has absolutely everything I need.

Andrew
D300, D50, N90s

http://www.bestlightphoto.net

majorlk Registered since 24th Nov 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 10:40 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naugatuck, US

If the choice were between a D50 and the two other cameras you mentioned, I'd pick the D50 in a heartbeat. Between the D50 and D80? I'd probably go with the D80.

Lon in Baltimore

"Instead of a 'fridge full of film, I now have a pocket full of CF and SD cards!"

Lon in Naugatuck

"Instead of a 'fridge full of film, I now
have a pocket full of CF and SD cards!"

Banjo Dan Registered since 20th Nov 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 12:40 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 7

Winter Haven, US

Most assuredily, and unequivacally I would buy another D50. The D50 is the best digital SLR that Nikon has manufactured to date...for the money. I have also had mine for anout 15 months and have not looked at (desired) another camera since. I will keep this camera as long as it lasts. When it "bites the dust," based on the present Nikon line, the D80 would be the camera to buy...again for the money.
Just my two cents worth...

Regards,
Dan

Dan - Retired Navy
Gallery at www.Dusing.zenfolio.com

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 01:02 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

If I was buying today I'd stretch my dollar for a D80, mainly for the viewfinder and second for the mirror delay feature. I could really care less about the megapixels. I think the D50 will go down as one of the great values in Nikon DSLR history.

Regarding other brands, I was advised (by a Pentax shooter) when I bought my DSLR to stick with Nikon or Canon due to the extensive lens collections and great 3rd party support. I have a friend at work who shoots Olympus and he just expressed his frustration the other day searching for an L-bracket for his E-330, and he commented on my friend's wisdom on steering me to Nikon. He's in the process of a switch to Canon.

That's not saying don't buy those other brands, but be aware that when you buy a DSLR body, you're more buying into a system than you are buying a camera. Just make sure the system is what you want, moreso than the camera itself.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

jollyllama Registered since 28th Mar 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 01:06 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

No question, yes I'd buy a D50 again. D40 is a step down in a lot of important ways. As far as the D80? I don't have the bucks to drop a grand on a body. If I did, well, I'd be over in the D80 forum right now.

www.elliotlevin.com
www.flickr.com/photos/elliotlevin

torment Registered since 18th Mar 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 04:31 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 10

Los Angeles, US

Yes,

I would buy D50 again in a heartbeat. I won't consider buying anything else in the same price range. It's either D50 or upgrading to D80 for me.

Tecant Registered since 05th Oct 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 05:05 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 11

West Allis, US

Most definitely I'd buy the D50 again. When I got mine three months ago, my budget limited me to the D40 or D50. The D40 was out because I already owned some non AF-S lenses. Would I buy a D200 if I could afford it? Yes, but on a limited budget I would put any extra money toward more and better lenses instead.

The D50 has everything I NEED in a DSLR if not everything I WANT. What would make it better?
1. Availability of ISO 50 or ISO 100 so I could get slower shutter speeds when I want them.
2. One button access to bracket exposures (like my N75), rather than a menu item.
3. One button to switch between matrix/center-weighted/spot metering instead of using the menu.
4. The ability to group frequently used menu items on top and hide little used menu choices. (I think I read somewhere that the D40 has something like this.
5. Lower prices on VR lenses (not a camera body issue).

Tecant
A Milwaukee Nikonian

sewwhatsports Registered since 03rd May 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 09:12 AM
945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I have only had mine about 5 weeks but I could see me buying this again if I had the choice. When I was looking initially I did not even have Nikon on my radar. I was looking at the Canon XT and the Olympus Evolt 500. I was directed to Nikon by the sales person. When he took the time to explain the D40 vs the D50 (both in my price range), there was not choice to make but the D50. I am thrilled with the camera and can see myself using this for a long time. So the answer is YES, I would buy the D50 again.

Rena in Delaware
Knowledge is the power behind the lens.

dakar Registered since 30th Nov 2005Tue 06-Mar-07 02:00 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 13

Sligo, IE

In a flash!

I love this camera. It outstrips my capabilities by a mile at the moment and when (if ever) I come to change, I will be looking to leap past the D80, and on to the D200. For the moment, I am happy to save up for better glass, which of course I can keep using. As KIWI said, I will always keep this body on standby.

Great camera

Darren

winclk Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 07:19 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 14

philadelphia, US

i have been so happy with my d50. i've had it for a little over a month.

i would definitly buy this camera again.

robin

grahamhib Registered since 28th Feb 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 08:07 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 15

ZA

As some others have already posted - you are buying into a system and the D50 is a great place to start. Until I can move up the range, I would definately buy another one if something bad happened to mine.

drFrank Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 08:14 PM
889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Beaver Falls, US

Yes, without a doubt. I like the size and the quality of pictures.
The D40 did not entice me in december and the D40x does not interest me now.

I went with the d50 vs. the d80 and used the difference to purchase a few "extras". (Plus, I bought the d50 used...) I would rather purchase nicer lens over an upgraded camera.

Maybe in a few years I will buy the Dsx

frank

drFrank
www.frankkendralla.com
www.kendrallaphotography.com
www.kendralla.com

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 08:14 PM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

I'm delighted with my D50, and am glad that I got in when I did, at about £400 for the D50 kit. That's now the D40 kit price, with the D40x coming in (initially) 50% more than that at £600. The D80 body is £530. So, there's nothing in the D50 price range that can use the lens collection that I've (oops... NAS) built up. Even now, I think there will be a D50 replacement this year. More AF points than the D40(x) and an inbuilt AF motor.

Oh, and the answer is yes, I would.

Chris

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Tue 06-Mar-07 09:22 PM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 18

Philadelphia, US

Absolutely... very happy with my choice... had it for a year now...
is it missing some features? sure, but nothing I have really missed. I will run it until it dies, and then replace with wahtever is the equivalent of the D80 or maybe D200 at that time... working on exapnding my glass collection until that time.

nosingchum Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2005Wed 07-Mar-07 03:34 PM
405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, CA

No, I'd get the D80. The D50 may have the edge in high ISO noise but the D80 is better in just about every respect. The D40x is quite tempting as a small body but since I have some old AF-D lenses, the appeal drops considerably.

Simon

A Richmond, B.C. Nikonian
- FM2n, F100, D300, D800

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Fri 09-Mar-07 05:03 AM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Folsom, US

yes i would buy not just one D50 but a couple, considering the fact that I can pick them up for $250 with a lens

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 09-Mar-07 09:19 AM
9626 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 21

Memphis, US

For me yes, I have both the D50 and D80 and they make a great team. As far as the Sony it is said to have average picture quality plus it is an old system based on Minolta, if Sony decides its done with the SLR systems you are stuck, Pentax is great and a longtime SLR maker but they have limited lens selection in the high speed range. Olympus is the most interesting, they have great glass and cool features there pro model is dated but a new one is due out. But their sensor is even smaller than the Nikons and has a very restricted lens linup, you can not take those wonderful old Olympus lens and use them at all. All said and done I would buy a D50 again made my transition into digital easy, my second choice would be the Pentax K-10D but in the end Nikons feel the best to me, canon and Sony being the least favorite.

Jim

PS the D50 was so good that it never had a recall or teething problems.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

badge2283 Registered since 26th Feb 2006Fri 09-Mar-07 02:29 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

Daytona Beach, US

Yes, I would. I also have the D70, and the D200. I love all three.

bill500 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2002Sat 10-Mar-07 08:22 PM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 23

Houston, US

Yes I'd buy one again. All it needs to be the perfect DSLR is 4 or 5 fps instead of 2.5 and metering with non CPU lenses.

Bill

Nikonian in Houston Texas

D300, D50(never gets used anymore)

vz223 Registered since 13th Jan 2007Tue 13-Mar-07 02:17 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Would you buy a D50 again?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I bought mine in December and love it. I would shop around to find another in a heart beat.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15516 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.