Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15486
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D40x + 55-200mmVR" Previous topic | Next topic
cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 05:40 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D40x + 55-200mmVR"

Folsom, US

I was looking at Kenrockwell.com and was amazed to see this article

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40x.htm

it supposed to have 10 megapixels...

What do you guys think???

***EDIT***
it is for real it can be found on the Nikon website at http://nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25424

and the lens at http://nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2166

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D40x !!!
yesimdave
05th Mar 2007
sparkey
05th Mar 2007
cecat90
05th Mar 2007
TwoLeftFeet
05th Mar 2007
cecat90
05th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR
gryphon1911
05th Mar 2007
jgreene1672
06th Mar 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
06th Mar 2007
Z06lust
06th Mar 2007
William Symonds
06th Mar 2007
cecat90
06th Mar 2007
jgreene1672
06th Mar 2007
TwoLeftFeet
06th Mar 2007
jgreene1672
06th Mar 2007
Z06lust
06th Mar 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
06th Mar 2007
William Symonds
06th Mar 2007
cecat90
07th Mar 2007
William Symonds
07th Mar 2007
cecat90
07th Mar 2007

yesimdave Registered since 29th Nov 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 07:03 PM
224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D40x !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Cool! Well, kind of sort of. On Saturday I bought a d40 for my girlfriend. She/we haven't opened it yet, so perhaps a camera exchange for a d40x is in our future.

Does anyone know how much it costs?

sparkey Registered since 21st May 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 07:20 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D40x !!!"
In response to Reply # 0

IE

No sign of this info on Nikon site...?

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 07:32 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D40x !!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Folsom, US

>No sign of this info on Nikon site...?

i know, now he also posted something like a new 55-200mm VR, i dont where he gets this from???

TwoLeftFeet Registered since 27th Jul 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 08:09 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D40x !!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

>>No sign of this info on Nikon site...?
>
>
>i know, now he also posted something like a new 55-200mm VR,
>i dont where he gets this from???

Okay okay, without going into the typical KR bashing... It is KR... Let's wait for offical confirmation

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 10:25 PM
#5. "RE: New D40x !!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Folsom, US

yes i know, but last he said a D60 and it ended up being a D40, now he says D40x, but who knows what it is... but i am sure it is something

gryphon1911 Registered since 16th May 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 10:34 PM
450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If the D40 would focus with AF-D lenses..I'd buy one tomorrow. But since it doesn't(and probably neither will the D40x or whatever it is going to be called)..I'll stick with my D50.

Andrew
D300, D50, N90s

http://www.bestlightphoto.net

jgreene1672 Registered since 06th Feb 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 12:23 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 6

Brooklyn, US

I just personally dont see a point in making the d40x. So what its not a better camera just because it has a bigger sensor, i mean id get it one if it had that plus more manual controls, focused non af-s lenses, and cost the same, and took the D50 battery, but thats unlikely. Otherwise it just seems like a ploy to get back all those fools who went to cannons because they threw in a less than stellar 10mp sensor in their cheap cams.

My pitiful online portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgreene1672/

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 01:06 AM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 7

Livermore, CA, US

The rumor circulating is that Sony is discontinuing the 6MP sensor from the D70s/D50/D40, and that because of this Nikon is currently putting 10MP sensors into D40 and downsampling to 6MP.

I'd be amazed if any of this was true, because the D40x would be a slap in the face to users who bought this brand new model over the past few months, and it also seems unlikely to me that Nikon would have launched the D40 without knowing the future of the sensor.

OTOH maybe D40 sales aren't what Nikon was hoping and they've decided a 6MP DSLR won't fly in 2007?

We'll know by this weekend...

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Z06lust Registered since 24th Nov 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 02:07 AM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 8

Everyone needs to read his statement again--he makes it real clear--he got the info via an email from Nikon PR. But even KR half-questions the info as he has yet to see it on a Nikon site and wonders if he had been spoofed or if someone at Nikon screwed up and sent him some premature info....

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 04:39 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 9

Bogor, ID

It's real enough guys - it's on the Nikon USA website and dpreview front page too.......$est price $730 body and $799 kit..

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40x/

What a very smart marketing move to outflank Canon D400 in market where the D40 has already been staggeringly successful... Fabulous first DSLR or lightweight back-up body

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 05:00 AM
#11. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 0

Folsom, US

i see most people either getting a D40 because of the price or jumping straight to the D80 for a little more money, and the ability for af to work with the lenses they have or want to purchase

jgreene1672 Registered since 06th Feb 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 02:20 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 11

Brooklyn, US

799? thats crazy, why would anyone buy this?

The D40 only made sense because it was small and supposed to be cheaper then the D50, but a d40 with less compatibility then the D50 only costing like 100 under the d80? thats kind of nuts. I guess people with small hands will be happy.

TwoLeftFeet Registered since 27th Jul 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 03:03 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 12

Toronto, CA

The D40x is meant to go against the "other" brand's low-end offering. It's meant to completely clobber it in the low-end market. And this is good for us, because it gives Nikon more money to invest in the higher-end bodies and lenses.

The target market for this is the guy/gal who was gonna get the D40 because they saw it in the ads, but then they get upsold in the store. The positioning for this camera is just right IMHO. And it will own the low-end market. It will also drive the sales of the D80 because there's a chance some of the people may just get upsold to the D80 instead of the D40x

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

jgreene1672 Registered since 06th Feb 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 04:02 PM
#14. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 11

Brooklyn, US

799? thats crazy, why would anyone buy this?

The D40 only made sense because it was small and supposed to be cheaper then the D50, but a d40 with less compatibility then the D50 only costing like 100 under the d80? thats kind of nuts. I guess people with small hands will be happy.

Z06lust Registered since 24th Nov 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 08:38 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 14

>799? thats crazy, why would anyone buy this?
>
>The D40 only made sense because it was small and supposed to
>be cheaper then the D50, but a d40 with less compatibility
>then the D50 only costing like 100 under the d80? thats kind
>of nuts. I guess people with small hands will be happy.

THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE. Compatibility with WHAT? This camera is made for and marketed for NEW DSLR owners who do not have a stockpile of old lenses (or got rid of them long ago) and digital point and shoot buyers who want something better....There is no lens compability issue for the market this camera is aimed for.

This camera is gunning for those buyers looking at the Canon XTi...that camera is the 'competitior' along with the upper end point and shoots all sporting 8-10 mg pixel stickers...Most consumers are dumb as door knobs...show them one camera with 6 mg and another with 10mg and irrespective of all the other features Joe Genius will stand there and say give me 'that one'...being the camera with the bigger number....Thus the D40 was fighting an uphil battle against the XTi and it's 'big' number.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 09:39 PM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 15

Livermore, CA, US

>This camera is gunning for those buyers looking at the Canon
>XTi...that camera is the 'competitior' along with the upper
>end point and shoots all sporting 8-10 mg pixel
>stickers...Most consumers are dumb as door knobs...show them
>one camera with 6 mg and another with 10mg and irrespective
>of all the other features Joe Genius will stand there and
>say give me 'that one'...being the camera with the bigger
>number....Thus the D40 was fighting an uphil battle against
>the XTi and it's 'big' number.

Exactly right - this is the XTi killer. It's spec'd, sized, and priced very similarly

My Nikonians gallery

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 09:43 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 15

Bogor, ID

Just ask Canon whether they think the D40X is a good idea. There are two D40s - one is significantly cheaper then the Canon 400D/XTi and IMHO is for sure the better camera. The new D40X is now the same price and now demonstrably (ie more MP and faster motor drive) better.

These first time DSLR customers standing in stores comparing Canon 400D to Nikon D40 do not own stockpiles of lens. Most of these SLR lens owners already have DSLRs or if they still use film are unlikely to be looking at the D40 when eventually they go digital.

Nikon's latest financials tell us that Nikon has just had a fantastic run with the D40. This new product demonstrates that they intend to win in the volume market. All of this will help all Nikon users in the longer run as (1) increased resources can only lead to more product development (2) a lot of D40/D40x users are going to upgrade and buy lenses of all descriptions... and better bodies too and (3) tecnnological advance at the lower end will come from success at the pro-end.

Just an aside to demonstate this - I saw a new D40 being bought with a 70-200 VR in Jakarta last week

The D40X is a very exciting little camera..

It will also make a great second body for a D200 owner...

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Wed 07-Mar-07 01:05 AM
#18. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 17

Folsom, US

>The D40X is a very exciting little camera..

nothing to exciting about the price... a little more and you got yourself a D80, D40 is more of a point and shoot, and the D80 is more of a dSLR

although the 10mp makes it sound better, (most people will think its better), i think more mp on the D40 will just ruin it.... it is already a great camera where its at

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 07-Mar-07 02:42 AM
#19. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 18

Bogor, ID

It will be interesting to see whether customers agree. I suspect many customers want a smalll DSLR with what they perceive as top-quality image quality. I am sure Nikon are looking over their shoulders at more than just Canon.

In any event these are not street prices and Nikon have a lot of scope to reduce the price after a couple of months as usually happens with everyting else. The market will sort all that out..

I sense many fellow Nikonians are concerned that chasing Joe Public may end up hitting the quality end of the Nikon range. I can't see that happening - look at Canon's pro-end has fared in the digital age..

William Symonds
Bogor, West Java

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

cecat90 Registered since 11th Aug 2006Wed 07-Mar-07 07:09 PM
#20. "RE: New D40x + 55-200mmVR"
In response to Reply # 0

Folsom, US

remember that the D50 was $749 body only and $899 with the lense when it first came out, it had 6mp...

The D40x will retail for $799.95 for the kit with a 18-55mm lens or $729.95 for the body alone when the camera enters the market in April.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #15486 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.