Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #14748
View in linear mode

Subject: "Must haves for a d50 owner?" Previous topic | Next topic
roadstar_soul Registered since 01st Feb 2007Fri 09-Feb-07 06:57 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Must haves for a d50 owner?"

US

Hi. I'm very new to SLRs but have been digging up plenty of useful information here. The one thing I couldn't find was a basic list of things I would need to acompany my new camera. I have a D50 with the 18-55 kit lens, tripod, and bag.

What are the "must have" items when owning a SLR camera? I know I need to get a new lens depending on what I plan on shooting, but a lens is too expensive for me at the moment. I plan on going to Hawaii in the summer and would like to prep up my camera bag to have the essentials before going (I'd also like to test out everything).

Thanks!

Anthony

Fresh D50 User

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?
danielfa
09th Feb 2007
K1W1
09th Feb 2007
Travjohn Silver Member
09th Feb 2007
roy_g_biv
26th Feb 2007
blw Moderator
09th Feb 2007
blw Moderator
09th Feb 2007
James23p Moderator
09th Feb 2007
ryanP
09th Feb 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
09th Feb 2007
kgendron12
11th Feb 2007
Scotty Silver Member
13th Feb 2007
roadstar_soul
13th Feb 2007
jdbower Gold Member
13th Feb 2007
roadstar_soul
14th Feb 2007
scottl
17th Feb 2007
alfanator
18th Feb 2007
alfanator
21st Feb 2007
roadstar_soul
18th Feb 2007
RLDA1336
23rd Feb 2007
torment
23rd Feb 2007
roadstar_soul
23rd Feb 2007
torment
23rd Feb 2007

danielfa Registered since 21st Dec 2006Fri 09-Feb-07 08:07 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rehovot, IL

I'd recommend a stronger flash (Sb600 or SB800) the ML-L3 remote, and of course a tele zoom lens (If you are on a budget go for the 55-200 - or save for the 70-300 VR)

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 09-Feb-07 10:50 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

There are either no "must haves" or thousands of them depending on how badly you are affected by NAS.
Really what you have is a good start and the rest of the posts on this thread will probably only totally confuse you as everybody will have a different opinion to the question that you posed.
What you need to do is go out and take hundreds of photos of things that you like photographing then you need to sit down and look at the photos critically and see what they tell you. Do you have portraits, landscapes, buildings, sports, indoor shots, macros, groups of people, etc? When the photos tell you what your style and interests are then you will be able to work out what you need.

Travjohn Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Nov 2005Fri 09-Feb-07 11:50 AM
614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boone, NC, US

Here are some suggestions for the well-stocked camera bag:

1. A spare camera battery -- the D50 battery lasts so long, you'll tend to forget to recharge it, but when it goes, it goes fast.

2. Another memory card, particularly for an extensive trip like your upcoming Hawaii expedition. (Are you taking a laptop or some other means of downloading pictures from the camera?)

3. A close up lens -- the kind that screws into the front of the lens. Inexpensive and good for quick close-ups.

4. A circular polarizer, for deepening blue skies and controlling reflections.

5. A blower brush, lens cleaning fluid and microfiber cloth for cleaning the front element of your lens.

6. Your D50 owner's manual!

John

". . . contrary to what we've always been led to believe, the universe is not basically euclidean." - Benoit Mandelbrot

"One should photograph objects not only for what they are but for what else they are." -- Minor White

roy_g_biv Registered since 25th Feb 2007Mon 26-Feb-07 12:17 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

MUST HAVES!!!!

the red pod by manfrotto- $17 (henrys/vistek/anywhere online)
ML-L3 remote release- $27 (same places)

that is the best $44 u can ever spend. those are the most frequently used items in my bag. the pod is essentially $17 VR. it goes everywhere, and turns anything into a rock steady tripod(not that this replaces a tripod). ive had SHARP exposures in the 30th of a second to 8 seconds range. the remote is perfect for landscapes when everything needs to be critically sharp.

chris

sometimes i chimp, in the RAW!!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 09-Feb-07 02:11 PM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It isn't critical yet, but it's also inevitable: you'll need a kit for cleaning the sensor. Right now you will avoid most of the problem as you have only one lens, thus keeping the mirror box relatively free of exposure to outside air and dust. Once you get another lens, you pretty much need to have this immediately.

Usually the stuff that's recommended is http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 09-Feb-07 02:13 PM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

Oops, clicked too soon. I'd also recommend Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D50. It is much better than the manual - far more information, and far better written. You can get it here. I have no relationship with the author other than a satisfied customer.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 09-Feb-07 03:54 PM
9557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 5

Memphis, US

1. Extra memory cards
2. Extra bettery but like someone said the D50 gets crazy battery life just bring your charger if you do not get another battery.
3. Two cheap lens that help-50 1.8AF-D this lens sells for about
110$ and is great in low light, the 70-300G or 55-200DX AF-S ED both run around 150$ and can add reach the G 300 has more reach but slower and the 200 AF-S DX is a tad fast focusing and smaller.
4. Last a flash if on a budget the SB-600 is king but the SB-400 seems like a real winner for small travel and extra punch.

All that said if you can get nothing else you have a good rig and should get excellent pics. Have fun Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

ryanP Registered since 09th Feb 2007Fri 09-Feb-07 04:25 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Here is a list of what I'd buy;
1) Good tripod(72inches)
2) 2GB card
3) Medium sized bag(Nikon or Tamrac)
4) Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens
5) Extra battery
6) UV filter(also protects main lens)

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 09-Feb-07 06:16 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Others have said it but I'll add my vote:

Minimal/most important: Spare battery, spare memory card, sensor cleaning kit, soft cloth for cleaning lens front element, maybe a 52mm clear filter to protect the lens front element. (It's controversial if you need the last one - some people keep them on all the time, others say never. Personally, I keep one in my bag and use it in harsh environments i.e. blowing sand, salt water spray, etc.) The battery does seem to last forever, which causes me a problem because I go days and weeks without charging it! Bottom line: $35 to never get caught unable to take a picture. Same with the spare memory - I'd carry two 1 gig cards before I carried one 2 gig card, in case something goes wrong with a card. Even if you carry 2 gig cards, keep a spare on hand.

Relatively inexpensive fits-in-your-bag landscape kit: Get a Bogen 3007 table-top tripod and a mini ballhead, the wireless remote, a hot shoe mounted bubble level, and a circular polarizer.

If you're serious about shooting landscape: Add in a good full-size tripod.

If you're into indoor portraits, make it a tripod and a speedlight.

You may want to include a telephoto, and the 55-200 DX is very good.

In case you're worried about your bank account, remember this is only the beginning

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
Please visit my Nikonians gallery

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Sun 11-Feb-07 08:58 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington, US

This is a very open ended question. The list could go on for days. So I'll add what I have. Everyone's needs are different:

2 backup batteries (got them cheep enough and its good when traveling and taking hundreds of photos a day and using a VR lens)
8GB of SD cards; 2 2GB and 4 1GB
50mm f/1.8 lens
90mm f/2.8 macro (Tamron)
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VRII
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S
SB-600 (2 sets of rechargeable batteries)
Wireless remote
Tamrac Adventure 9 camera backpack with 2 detachable lens cases that can attach to my belt when traveling/walking about.
card reader
external hard drive, 250GB. Those files are pretty big so its nice to have extra HD space.
Gary Fong Lightsphere II inverted dome diffuser
travel tripod
table top tripod
full size tripod (2)

I think thats it....... for now. The lenses I want list is to long to list right now.

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 13-Feb-07 03:38 PM
4821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

I used to carry loads of gear - all in a big bag etc The a couple of years ago I went on holiday to Rome - Took a simple body - a F50, a 28-80 and a 80-200. That was it, no tripod, no flash, no filters, no big bag just a waist pack and some film. You know what I took some of my favourite pictures on that trip. It became so easy. Sometimes I go out with an FE plus a 50mm f2 lens - lovely way to shoot, makes you think about every aspect.

Sometimes less is more...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

roadstar_soul Registered since 01st Feb 2007Tue 13-Feb-07 06:00 PM
#11. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

"I go out with an FE plus a 50mm f2 lens"

What is an FE? Sorry I'm still very new to the terms. Thanks for everyones replies!!!

Fresh D50 User

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Tue 13-Feb-07 06:58 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 11

New York, US

Maybe an "FE" is a "Film Engine"?

It's a classic Nikon from the 70s and early 80s, a very nice an well-built little camera. Here is a good description of it.

Jeff Bower
I wish my D200 body was a significant portion of my NAS-related expenses...
Moderator Pages

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

roadstar_soul Registered since 01st Feb 2007Wed 14-Feb-07 07:24 AM
#13. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

ok I have a cir polarizer on its way along with some close up lenses, spare battery that came with the camera, a tripod, 1 extra mem card. I have a laptop that I will be bringing with me as well as a 40 GB portable drive that will be dedicated for pics. I won't be doing any editing there, but will transfer as needed.

I plan on getting the 55-200mm in the next 2 months or sooner if Best Buy puts it on sale (I have a $100 gift card). A flash might not be in budget for the trip, but I'm trying to make it happen.

Now where do I put all my gear to carry around in? I've been looking at the Lowepro sling 100, but can't really tell if it'll fit my stuff. It also has a slip on the side which looks like I could shove 1 of my tripod legs there to hold my tripod. I don't want to carry something too bulky, but at the same time want to bring what I might need,that why I've been looking into the sling 100 and not the 200. Also I don't see myself having more than 3 lenses (including 1 on the body) and a flash. I also want to make sure that I'd be able to fit the charger and filters/lenses in this bag. Does anyone have this bag to give some first hand experiences with it?

Thanks again for all the great info!!

-Anthony

Fresh D50 User

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Sat 17-Feb-07 03:03 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 13

Ashburn, US

Anthony,
I've been looking at the Lowepro Sling bags as well. I haven't bought one yet but I thought that the sling 100 wouldn't be quite big enough for a camera, 2 or 3 lenses, flash, extra batteries, memory cards, filters, etc. Does anyone know if all that fits without having to sit on the top of it to close
Scott

Regards,
Scott

http://www.scottlubow.com
A Washington D.C. Area Nikonian

alfanator Registered since 12th Oct 2006Sun 18-Feb-07 12:35 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 14

Seattle/Tokyo/Shanghai, US

This is the set up I brought with me on 1 trip to Hawaii, 4 trips to China, 2 to Japan and my sister in law's wedding.

18-200 VR lens, i have not needed anything else
SB 800 Speedlight for indoor use in the evening
Spare battery for camera and flash.
Ballhead tripod, great for night shots, landscape, portriats
A Mountian Smith small messenger bag, does not scream "camera, steal me" and double duty as walk around town bag.
A cheap $5 padded SLR bag from the discotinued section of camera store to hold camera securely in messenger bag.
Blower bulb I picked up in Shanghai for $2.
Lens cloth and lens cleaning solution
Laptop to Download pics

Noob with a D50 w/18-200VR & 55mm Micro.
Old School Coolpix 995

alfanator Registered since 12th Oct 2006Wed 21-Feb-07 06:58 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 15

Seattle/Tokyo/Shanghai, US

Added a SB400 to the kit. Good little take it anywhere flash.

Noob with a D50 w/18-200VR & 55mm Micro.
Old School Coolpix 995

roadstar_soul Registered since 01st Feb 2007Sun 18-Feb-07 07:40 AM
#16. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

I went to Samy's camera today and compared the sling 100 and 200 side by side... I think I'll be picking up the sling 200 when my wallet allows it. Basically I think the 100 would be stuffed with my camera, charger/cords, batteries, filters, and future 55-200 lens & flash + gels. I'd like to have the extra room for a 3rd lens and anything else I might like to bring.

I just picked up the sb600 and I've only used the basic features so far and I wonder why I didn't get this when I bought the camera. Flashes are definitely needed for indoor shooting and I have been asked to shoot a baptism for my girlfriends sister, so I had to get the flash first.

This NAS is really kicking in... and I love it!

Fresh D50 User

RLDA1336 Registered since 22nd Dec 2005Fri 23-Feb-07 01:49 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 0

GOOSE CREEK, US

I am going to Alaska in May and am looking at "must brings." Here's my list:
--Spare Battery -not a cheapie. along with a charger
--Lenses
18-50mm f3.5-4.5 Sigma
50mm f1.4 Nikon (Probably the best lense I own)
28-70 f2.8 Sigma
70-200 f3.5 Sigma
100-300 f5.6 Sigma (All lenses have a 1.5 multiplier)
--Table Top Tripod for light weight
--Lap Top Computer
--Cardreader
--Need a better flash (Both my existing flashes don't work with
D50 but do with my N8008)
--SD Cards 2-2GB 2-1GB 4-256MB
--Polarizer
--Cannon photo backpack
--Focus Guide D50 Guide Book (UK Book)

Hope this helps.

Bob D'A

torment Registered since 18th Mar 2006Fri 23-Feb-07 06:58 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 18

Los Angeles, US

Hi,

a cleaning kit is definitely needed. As far as the must haves, everyone is different and has different needs. Your interest will dictate what you need. For example, if you like taking landscape pictures then you probably could use a wide lens.

Nevertheless, since you mention that buying another lens is not in the agenda at the moment, then I would say get a tripod, cleaning kit and wireless remote for your Hawaii trip

roadstar_soul Registered since 01st Feb 2007Fri 23-Feb-07 09:04 PM
#20. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 19

US

I have a tripod, but still need to get a cleaning kit and the wireless remote (Thanks for the reminder -- as I've forgotten very important items as those). The wireless remote will work out great with the tripod for taking pictures with more than an arms length view.

I'm really tempted to put a wide angle lens on my credit card, especially after looking at some sample pictures on flickr.com...

Thanks for everyones input!!!

Fresh D50 User

torment Registered since 18th Mar 2006Fri 23-Feb-07 10:11 PM
#21. "RE: Must haves for a d50 owner?"
In response to Reply # 20

Los Angeles, US

>I have a tripod, but still need to get a cleaning kit and
>the wireless remote (Thanks for the reminder -- as I've
>forgotten very important items as those). The wireless
>remote will work out great with the tripod for taking
>pictures with more than an arms length view.
>
>I'm really tempted to put a wide angle lens on my credit
>card, especially after looking at some sample pictures on
>flickr.com...
>
>Thanks for everyones input!!!

If so, then I would suggest Sigma 10-20mm. I am currently rebuilding my lenses. I have D50 18-70mm and 70-200mm. I will sell these two and buy 3 lenses.
I have bought 50mm AFD 1.4 and planning to get 18-200mm VR and Sigma 10-20mm.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #14748 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.