Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1440
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 is better than D70" Previous topic | Next topic
bella29 Registered since 20th Dec 2005Mon 26-Dec-05 06:30 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 is better than D70"

I have had a D70 for over a year now. I recently used a D50 for a week and I can say that the D50 is better than the D70. Indoors with a flash in auto mode the D70 always made flesh tones look pale and white and usually underexposed. The D50 looks perfect under those conditions. Its also lighter and cheaper.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 is better than D70
sillyconguru
26th Dec 2005
Covey22 Moderator
27th Dec 2005
Reply message What does "better" mean? It's purely subjective...
benherrmann
28th Dec 2005
John317
29th Dec 2005
Virgil
30th Dec 2005
Covey22 Moderator
30th Dec 2005
avm247 Moderator
30th Dec 2005
CK Silver Member
30th Dec 2005
John317
01st Jan 2006
soupdragon
05th Jan 2006
Serleth
05th Jan 2006
BJNicholls Gold Member
06th Jan 2006
soupdragon
06th Jan 2006
F80
07th Jan 2006
soupdragon
08th Jan 2006
Alex_86
08th Jan 2006
soupdragon
09th Jan 2006
Alex_86
09th Jan 2006
soupdragon
09th Jan 2006
Alex_86
09th Jan 2006
soupdragon
09th Jan 2006
Alex_86
09th Jan 2006
Reply message I'm about to go backwards.
matthew saville
10th Jan 2006
Reply message RE: I'm about to go backwards.
soupdragon
10th Jan 2006
matthew saville
10th Jan 2006
soupdragon
11th Jan 2006
matthew saville
11th Jan 2006
soupdragon
11th Jan 2006
matthew saville
11th Jan 2006
drichi
15th Jan 2006
Covey22 Moderator
15th Jan 2006
BOMAX
24th Jan 2006
matthew saville
25th Jan 2006
soupdragon
25th Jan 2006
matthew saville
25th Jan 2006
BOMAX
26th Jan 2006
matthew saville
26th Jan 2006

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 26-Dec-05 11:06 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Well, it would do in "auto" mode (the default colourspace is different for a start).

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 27-Dec-05 03:08 AM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Compared to it's siblings in the consumer-level family, the D50 improves on both default exposure program curves (reduces the tendency to underexpose) and higher ISOs. From a pure image quality perspective, your comment is accurate. In other categories, the D50 is a heavily de-spec'ed (despecified or downsized) D70. This being a gear-head/equipment oriented site, I would find it difficult to transition fully to a D50 from a D70, in terms of ergonomics and handling alone.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002Wed 28-Dec-05 12:08 PM
563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "What does "better" mean? It's purely subjective..."
In response to Reply # 0

Fuquay Varina, US

Please don't mind me chiming in here, but I've noticed all too often that lots of folks on various forums will use the phrase, "this (model) is "better" than the....! It makes me wonder what "better" really means. That term can best be viewed as a subjective statement, depending on what features or performance aspect we find to our liking over everything else. After a temporary hiatus from Nikon products, I'm coming back via the D50, and then subsequently I will get the D200.

I've had the D70 - a wonderful camera in so many ways. What I find "improved about the D50" is the high ISO capabilities. I find myself shooting at ISO 1600 with almost never a worry about having to use NI or NN. This feature alone makes this camera worth it to me. As for the exposure side of the house, the D50 is a mixed bag of blessings, meaning that yes...it definitely steers away from the underexposure scenarios that were prevalent amont the likes of the D100 and some D70 situations. But on the other hand, the D50 can easily overexpose (sometimes up to +2 stops) in many situations involving strong contrasts - and in a way, that can be worse than some underexposures.

So "better" obviously is in the eye of the user. The best way for me to state my view of the D50 is to say that for me, it's better than the D70 in the high ISO arena - my primary reason for getting this camera. The next person may say that the D70 is better (listing the reasons). Either way, Nikon is putting out some wonderful cameras lately and who knows what else is to come.

Good Shooting...

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/benherrmann/blink_bestfriends2.gif

Good Shooting...

Ben

John317 Registered since 13th Dec 2005Thu 29-Dec-05 05:02 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Redding, US

Phil Askey did what I feel was a pretty fair job of outlinig the major differences between the two cameras. And as someone new to this forum and new to digital photography I was disappointed to hear from one of the posters that this is mainly a "gearhead" forum. I thought it was for anyone who enjoys photography with Nikon products. Is there a rookie forum I should be going to?

John317
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are

Virgil Registered since 08th Aug 2004Fri 30-Dec-05 01:13 PM
227 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 4

Vienna, AT

Hi John,

it might be due to the fact that english isn´t my mothertounge that i misunderstood you but being a member for more then a year i can´t confirm that Nikonians is a gearhead forum at all. For sure, some gearheads are arround like everywhere but to think if one is like that all others are as well would be very unfair.

The statement of the OP was quite plain and straight forward. The replies simply reflected a disagreement maybe due to higher skills and better knowledge or simply due to other needs not met by the D50.

Cheers
Wolfgang

Nikonian from Vienna / Austria
Member of NPS
See my snapshots: http://www.photoforum.ru/12675

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 30-Dec-05 03:52 PM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Well folks, I may be biased since I'm part of the Team here, but this isn't *just* a gearhead forum like other well-known sites. We've got legitimate forums for all sorts, especially pure photography and commercial/wedding/wildlife photography - and most of the working shooters who frequent our forums have impressive credentials and photos to their name. We'll never renounce our loyalty for the Nikon brand, but it doesn't mean we're fixated on gear alone. Take a moment to look around at the other forums we have and you'll see what I mean.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 30-Dec-05 05:25 PM
18311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 4

Rancho Cordova, US

I was disappointed to hear from one of the posters that this is mainly a "gearhead" forum.

Nikonians is not a "gearhead" forum. All Nikon users are welcome from the beginner P&S user to the pro with multiple bodies and lenses. That is what makes Nikonians.org such a great site, there is so much information that is freely shared will all members. There is a passion here for photography and for Nikon products. There are those of use who are also more passionate about technical info, and thats okay, because they can still share their understanding of how something works or why something doesn't work.

Is there a rookie forum I should be going to?

There is no "rookie" forum. All members are equal here at Nikonains. We all had to start someplace, right?

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Fri 30-Dec-05 05:37 PM
1752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 7

Mississauga, CA

Well said Anthony!
I upgraded from a Nikon F (no battery, no light meter, manual everything) to an N80 a couple of years ago, and most recently to a D50. I am experienced in some ways, a rookie in so many other ways, and an eager learner always. This site is one of my favourites not only because I like Nikon equipment (there is other marvelous equipment around, or so I'm told), but because the people who visit and moderate these pages are so willing to ask questions and/or share their knowledge and experiences with all who care.
Thanks again,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

John317 Registered since 13th Dec 2005Sun 01-Jan-06 02:54 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 7

Redding, US

Thanks for your clarification that this is not exclusively a "gearhead forum. As one who has been away from photography as a "passion" for a long time I would not feel comfortable on a gearhead forum. I will be asking some basic and perhaps boring questions that the more accomplished photographer may find a bit tedious.

John317
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are

soupdragon Basic MemberThu 05-Jan-06 03:09 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 9

Having put some thought into this I can quite safely say the D50 is better than the D70s.
I think it would be a no-brainer buying a new D70s right now and from what I know the very minimal extra features do in no way warrant the extra cost.

Just corrected the dreadful grammar there (I have really got to proof read my threads)

Serleth Registered since 04th Jan 2006Thu 05-Jan-06 03:31 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 10

Edmonton, CA

Agreed. There was a comment above (can't remember the poster, sorry) who said that the D50 is "heavily de-spec'd" in some categories.

I just checked the nikon.ca specifications pages for both the D50 and the D70, and there really isn't a whole lot missing in the D50. The D70 has a slightly better exposure metering system... and there was some comments on over/underexposure...

but let's face a simple fact: I've seen some really great Coolpix and Powershot photos. This tells me right now that photography is all in the hands of the photographer. Regardless of what the D50 may or may not be missing in comparison with the D70, if you know your camera, a 1980's Zenit camera can be a really powerful tool as well.

So, owners of D50's everywhere: we've got a great affordable camera =)

Mike
Albertan Nikonian

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 06-Jan-06 12:24 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 10

Salt Lake City, US

For you.

It's certainly okay to offer an opinion on which camera is best for your needs, but realize that a "minimal" feature in your accounting is someone else's essential feature. The original poster and you can be faulted for making universal declarations out of personal preferences.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

soupdragon Basic MemberFri 06-Jan-06 03:53 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 12

Sorry about the generalization there but, if you shoot in mainly manual mode the choice comes down to cost, and given that here in the UK the D50 is about 60% the cost of a D70s, it takes no stretch of the imagination to realise the D50 is better.

F80 Basic MemberSat 07-Jan-06 06:38 PM
7082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 13

Toronto, CA

I would really like to want a D50. I've seen some great images from it. For me, the lack of depth-of-field preview, the 18mm eyepoint and the relatively small viewfinder make this camera unworkable for me. It therefore wouldn't be "better" than the D70 (which still doesn't work for me BTW), even it cost far less than it does. One man's meat is another man's poison.

F80

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

soupdragon Basic MemberSun 08-Jan-06 07:27 PM
#15. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 14

I have never understood the piont of depth of field preview and it never really works anyway.
Of course in the old days the lenses used to have DOF markers on them which made life much easier.

Alex_86 Registered since 19th Aug 2003Sun 08-Jan-06 08:08 PM
1431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 15

CA

>I have never understood the piont of depth of field preview
>and it never really works anyway.
>Of course in the old days the lenses used to have DOF
>markers on them which made life much easier.

Try using a graduated ND filter effectively with no DOF preview and see how far you get.

Like most of you I totally have faith in the D50 for taking great shots although with the lack of DOF preview along with some of the other issues that Stephan mentioned I do not think the D50 could ever work for me.

Not to say it cannot work for others though.

Happy Shootinng,
Alex

Alex Ratson
www.alexratsonphotography.com

soupdragon Basic MemberMon 09-Jan-06 04:59 PM
#17. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 16

I am not quite sure what the relationship between a neutral density filter and depth of field preview is but, if it's a problem for you, I'll take your word for it.
My point is that here in the UK it would cost between £200 & £300 to get an extra button on the front of the camera for DOF preview.
My option would be to spend the money saved by not buying a D70 on a piece of glass that has a DOF scale on it.

Alex_86 Registered since 19th Aug 2003Mon 09-Jan-06 05:24 PM
1431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 17

CA

To be able to see the graduation/split of the grad/split ND in the viewfinder you must stop the lens down which is accomplished via the DOF preview button.
It is essential to do this for proper alignment of the filter in the holder so you get the split or graduation in the right spot.

I believe there is a good article on Nikonians explaining how to properly use a split/grad ND with some detail on this portion of the process.

I also find the depth of field preview much quicker and easier to determine weather I have enough or too much DOF for a subject. Especially when on the run at event where I do not have time to work the math out in my head.

I think that if you are sure you don’t need the DOF preview along with any of the other benefits a D70S or any other camera may have then you have nothing to worry about for your self.

Happy Shooting,
Alex

Alex Ratson

soupdragon Basic MemberMon 09-Jan-06 06:07 PM
#19. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 18

OK, well I think I understood some of that.
The thing I really miss and is not present on the 50 or the 70 is MLU.
You would have thought Nikon could have cobbled together a bit of code to sort that.
Oh Well, can't have it all for next to nothing.

Alex_86 Registered since 19th Aug 2003Mon 09-Jan-06 06:42 PM
#20. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 19

CA

>The thing I really miss and is not present on the 50 or the
>70 is MLU.

That’s one of the many reasons I shoot with the D200 and D2’s .

Still doesn’t stop either the D50 or D70 from being a great camera though.

Currently looking at getting one of the two for the girl friend.

Happy Shooting,
Alex

Alex Ratson

soupdragon Basic MemberMon 09-Jan-06 06:52 PM
#21. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 20

Well now you mention it, I am seriously considering the D200 very soon.
What's stopping me is the teething problems it appears to be having (just reading some of the threads on the 200 users group section).
How are you finding it?

Alex_86 Registered since 19th Aug 2003Mon 09-Jan-06 07:15 PM
#22. "RE: D50 is better than D70"
In response to Reply # 21

CA

I am finding my D200 to be a great asset.

I have not had any banding problems and my battery is holding a fairly good charge now that it has gone through a few charge cycles.

In the past I have shot with a F100/F5 and D70/D2H as my primary cameras although it was always some sort of compromise.

Shoot film for my editorial clients that demand 40+ MB 8 bit Tiff’s and then reserve digital for time sensitive projects that need to have a fast turn around.

I also much preferred the smaller cameras that had the option of adding a MB style grip rather then the large bodies like that of the D2’s and F5.
This is the main reason I have and never considered the D2X as a main camera.
To much money for a compromise IMO.

Now with the D200 I have the resolution my clients want and a body that has the features, build and size that I want.

No more compromises, THANKS NIKON!!

Happy Shooting,
Alex

Alex Ratson

matthew saville Registered since 23rd Mar 2004Tue 10-Jan-06 06:59 AM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#23. "I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 0

Irvine, US

I've thought long and hard about the D70 VS the D50.

I've had a D70 for almost 2 years, and it has served me well for about 50,000 shutter clicks, the finest of which you can view on my website of course. Recently, I had to send in my camera to Nikon Service because the viewfinder LCD and light meter went haywire, and BGLOD "finally showed up."

After finding no work this winter break, running out of income, and MUCH consideration, (and WISHING I had a D200!) ...I'm heading in the direction of a D50. Here's why:

Foremost, it's just going to be hilarious to go in the "opposite direction" of the D200 I was so excited about just months ago. Every time I think about it I just laugh. I will definitely be putting the "it's not the camera, but the photographer" phrase to the test, unlike most these days who are continually UPgrading...

But, why not pick up a used D70 at about the same as a new D50, you ask? Well, My first camera was an N65, akin to the D50 with it's single command dial. At first I swore by the D70 and it's DUAL command dials, the D50 / 300D / 350D were a "waste of money"... EV compensation can be dialed in immediately with the D70, no buttons to hold down, no confusion about which setting the controls are controlling, no confusion about which way to turn the dial. (except in P mode where the apeture dial direction is "reversed," and so I hardly ever use P) I've sworn by it for the past year or so. I scolded Nikon for "crippling" the D50 just like Canon "crippled" the digital Rebels.

Then, the D50 offers no WB fine tuning! Aaah, I relied on this HEAVILY when I shot JPG. There was just no way I could have imagined someone limiting themselves to the D50's WB options.

Finally, recently I've begun to swear by the D70's "hidden" AF-ON button. Surely the D50 didn't have this option, it's way too advanced. (on a similar note of silly assumption, my old N65 had no AF point selector dial like the D70 has. Almost NONE of Canon's cameras have direct AF point selection, and that's a BIG reason I stay Nikon)

Well, now I'm going to forego the possibility that a few hundred dollars could repair my D70, I'm going to forego all it's advantages, and get a D50. First, that splendid dual-control dials has ONE drawback that I am just do dim-witted to stay on top of:

When you're in P/S/A mode and you have any EV comp. dialed in and then switch to M mode, the camera takes that EV comp. and turns it into the correct, "0" exposure! Try this for yourself, you'll see what I mean. Sure, there's a little +/- sign right next to the light meter, but like I said I'm just too dim witted to keep track of this on the fly.

In this respect, I have decided that maybe having one command dial isn't such a bad thing, especially since they put the +/- (also the "button-plus-dial" apeture button) in a very nice accesible location compared to where it is on my N65. Mostly though, I will welcome not being able to accidentally dial in the WRONG "0" exposure in M mode, that's for sure.

Then to bring myself even closer to not needing some D70 advantages, I've gone RAW. This means I could care less about any in-camera processing settings, like the WB fine tuning.

NOTE, however, that the D50 does not compress it's RAW files! I bet this is very much lesser known, and I wanted to point it out. I'm going to have to invest in a hyperdrive asap, to deal with my RAW addiction and un-compressed D50 files...

Finally, the D50 has an AE-L/AF-L button (I use it for AF-ON)AND that AF point selection pad that I foolishly assumed would be omitted since the 2nd command dial had been omitted.

So here I am, "looking forward to a D50." I never would have thought this day would come. Oh and to finish the deal, for some un-disclosed reason the D50 does a tad bit better in high ISO performance than the D70. Cool! Oh and it's smaller / lighter, too.

Any thoughts?

My personal decision does not imply that the D70 is a waste of money, and neither do I wish to get overly enamoured with the D50. Because it's drawbacks still exist and the D70's advantages also, for those who's shooting styles lend to them. If you don't switch between A and M modes all the time, if you shoot JPG a lot, etc. etc. then you're obviously going to draw different conclusions! I will always assess a photographers skill and needs and reccomend the camera I think they'd be best suited with.

-Matt-
PS: For the record, the DOF preview on my D70 has been broke for about a year. And I use GND's on a regular basis. I mess up far, far less than I used to on my N65 film camera that DID have DOF preview! Go figure...

It's not what you look at, it's what you see.

soupdragon Basic MemberTue 10-Jan-06 04:39 PM
#24. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 23

Well good to see you don't mince your words.
My only thoughts on getting a D50 would be, buy the kit with the 18-55. It only costs an extra £50 in the UK but if you buy it seperately it costs £200.
People put the kit lens down but I've had two now and they both outstripped the sensor on resolution.
You could sell a kit lens for more than the extra £50 here in the UK.

matthew saville Registered since 23rd Mar 2004Tue 10-Jan-06 09:34 PM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#25. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 24

Irvine, US

The 18-55 and 18-70 kit lenses are both very nice, super-sharp, and relatively fast-focusing.

However, here's the setup that I am after: I want one mid-range f/2.8 DX zoom for events and portraits, such as the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 DC, and then for landscape work, I am already sold on the awesome, awesome combo that is the super-sharp 12-24mm DX and 24-85mm G (AFS) These two lenses are, in my opinion, absolutely un-beatable as far as being sharp, sharp, sharp but light-weight. the 24-85mm has focusing issues with delicate, close-focusing at full-wide open, but that's what the 18-50mm f/2.8 is for. These three lenses are my desired ultimate lens collection...

So, with regard to your advice concerning the 18-55, I am probably going to forego it and attempt to get an 18-50mm f/2.8 instead.

Thanks, and take care!
-Matt-

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 11-Jan-06 05:02 AM
#26. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 25

Well yeah, I mean that's what I'd do if it were not for budgetary limitations.
What I was trying to say (and did't say it well) was that to get a lens for a couple of quid as a bundle and then sell it on as new for a small profit.
If you have a pocket full of cash then it's a different story.

matthew saville Registered since 23rd Mar 2004Wed 11-Jan-06 06:12 AM
#27. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 26

Irvine, US

I will have quite the opposie of a pocket full of cash, actually. The lenses I said I "want" are lenses that I will not be able to buy for maybe even years, I don't know. Currently I'm hoping to only get the Sigma 18-50, if I can get it for under $400.

You are right though, buying a kit lens and then selling it at a little profit is a good idea! I will check Ebay to see if many of them are selling or if most of them just end with zero bids, and maybe if I think it's a good move I'll buy one as a kit and then sell the lens.

Take care,
-Matt-

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 11-Jan-06 07:58 AM
#28. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 27

I have always been shy of sigma lenses but that's more of a snob thing than anything else.
I don't see a lot of talk about Nikonians reccommending third party optics though the sigma 70-2?? 2.8 looks great.

matthew saville Registered since 23rd Mar 2004Wed 11-Jan-06 09:20 PM
#29. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 28

Irvine, US

The Sigma 18-50mm is definitely not as high-quality as the Nikon 17-55mm. But for what you pay, it's an exceptional lens. I also "like" to forego a little bit of the Nikon lens' weight, in addition to the cost.

I do think that Sigma is really "stepping it up" these days, with lenses like the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 150mm f/2.8 macro, and now recently the 30mm f/1.4 which is an area that Nikon hasn't gotten into yet, DX primes. (other than the fisheye)

-Matt-

drichi Basic MemberSun 15-Jan-06 01:51 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 23

GW

Are you sure that the D50 does not compress its RAW files? I thought NEF were by definition compressed.

I cannot find any source that agrees that it does not compress its RAW files. Digital Review calls them compressed, as does dpreview.com, Thom Hogan's review, and every single source I checked. Am I missing something?

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 15-Jan-06 05:28 PM
#31. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 30

US

RAW files can be compressed or uncompressed. This is mostly a space-saving feature. Nikon introduced RAW file compression in the D100 camera, but it never took off there due to slow writes to the card using that format. The D70 and the rest of line improve greatly on this practice. There are also debates as to whether this compression is lossless or not (and this will NOT be covered here hint hint - use our search engine to find the many threads covering that discussion).

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

BOMAX Registered since 24th Jan 2006Tue 24-Jan-06 11:16 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 31

US

Hello first time reader first time writer

...Whew here goes...

I had a point and shoot that stoped working...I am an optimist...but I am sure it was programmed to stop working.

So a full month of no sleep and endless research for this amature (me).

The search for the perfect digital camera, ( I have 7 slrs and lots of lenses) I am a total novice.

I have chosen the Nikon D50. I have the money for all under 2000.00.

I was going to get the D70s...but could not convince myself that a few more options were worth the diff.

OK...let me give a novice view point.

The LCD cover would be nice ...I'll use a stick on.

The back lighting would be nice...never needed one before or had one, so I will miss none.

White balance issue is beyond me...but I understand I can go in a few steps and still control it some when I learn to need it.

The 3 shot per second verses 2.5...well never had it before and will love what I get.

The size and weight thing...its way bigger than the point and shoot.

The auto feature...had a point and shoot before and loved it...in fact by taking a shot and looking at the settings I will Learn to be free later. For the new baby shots I'm gonna need to be quick or i will miss the good ones.

All of my cars are and trucks are automatics... love um...I can manualy shift if I want too.

1/8000 verses the 1/4000...well if 1/1000 can stop a prop then 1/4000 is ok for me.

The 420 segment second generation RGB seems to be just fine...more seems to be just marketing.

Faster USB...well any USB of any kind is WAY faster than developing.

Not having to use photo shop and having great prefixed photos is a bonus not a handicap...I can do manual anytime by clicking..Manual...its about the picture and not about the hoops I had to jump through to get there.(but the hoops are there if I want them).

And correct me if I am missing something about the "depth of preveiw" here...This is where being a novice helps by being outside the box looking in.
I thought the basic COOL WOW digital thing we have seen emerge over the last decade has now given us a HUGE depth of preview "VIEW". By depressing the picture snap button all the way I get an instant preview over two inches square on the back screen. (Scratching my head)

" Next I vilt built a drocket chip"

Wasn't the one reason for this on film SLR's so I didn't have to say (Supermans voice, hands on hips) "ok...hold that pose and stop that sun I'm going to go develope this picture and be right back..."
Why just preview through the little view finder...when the tree is right in front of the forest.
To save on film cost? I spend every day in a Pluto costume and witness thousands of cameras and the people that use them every week. People are still taking pictures while looking at the digital display in the back of the camera...take picture ...look at the preview ...and then actualy say...hold on Pluto let me take another just to be sure.LOLOLOLOL

Actually its cute (human) and makes my day. People thinking like film while using digital.

I must say now that I do truelly mean this in good humor.

I cannot beleive that I have read 50 to a 100 articles by Magazines and experts about this camera lacking a "Depth of Field preview" while referring to a digital camera that has in the description 2.0" LCD monitor that previews the sample taken.OOPS

If I have made you laugh I have gained a friend...I wanted my first posting to be memorable.

I look forward to learning many things from amutures and pro's.

This sight has helped me a great deal...Thank You All.

Words are for the Heart sound is for the
Soul

matthew saville Registered since 23rd Mar 2004Wed 25-Jan-06 12:25 AM
#33. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 32

Irvine, US

Very, very well put Bomax, you're right on the money with your statements, and your money was indeed well spent.

The advantages held by the D70 or D70s will, be not all that important to most people, since most people getting these cameras are new SLR buyers who are looking to "upgrade" but on a budget. For under $600, the D50 is just too hard to pass up. There are a few things the D70 has that some will "require", myself I am very spoiled and LIKE having spot metering and the LCD illumination, but these are by no means necessities. The dual command dials border on necessary, but not for me.

Concerning DOF preview, I think it's just a nice thing to have for macro applications to get a general idea of what different apetures look like, it's actually much more convenient than taking a picture and viewing it on the monitor in certain applications. For landscape work etc. I have no use whatsoever for DOF preview, in fact it's almost foolish to NOT verify sharp near-to-infinity focus on the monitor...

At any rate, welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay! This is definitely the best place for Nikon shooters to gather...

Take care,
-Matt-

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 25-Jan-06 04:56 AM
#34. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 33

I thought the D50 had spot metering, or am I going potty?

matthew saville Registered since 23rd Mar 2004Wed 25-Jan-06 05:40 AM
#35. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 34

Irvine, US

So it does! Thanks for correcting me. And what's more, it has the AF-ON button, which IS indeed a MUST for me...

The D50 is a wonderfully capable camera. The one thing I think I would kinda miss if I got it was the compressed NEF of the D70. The D50 does not compress NEF's, and therefore you fill up your memory cards faster. This would be less of an issue with a D70 since I have 6 gigs worth of CF, but with the D50 I'd be sarting comlpetely over from scratch, and I'd probably want to invest in a hyperdrive or something...

Take care,
-Matt-

BOMAX Registered since 24th Jan 2006Thu 26-Jan-06 07:49 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 35

US

Words are for the Heart sound is for the Soul.

I have not received my D50 yet...I am just about epileptic with anticipation.I fell like am going to break into some kind of James Bond Movie VooDoo dance. I had tried to break into SLR learning over the last decade. I have a couple of the older F bodies and more of the Pentax.
The problem was at that time (not now) I did not have the patience to keep up the note taking to match the way later developing results. I did fine for a while....with better than expected results.

BUT HEY I cannot wait to try the SLR Digital results...the point and shoot blew me away for the last 2 years.

I had always been told that I have an eye for pictures. Is this a true statement? I mean do some people have a gift to capture a scene (nature or people) better than another standing right next to them.

If this is so...is any camera better at taking pictures than another? Am I being to literal to think that the question should be "Does one Camera verses another take better Images"?
Images vs Pictures.

I think perhaps the differences in any SLR digital camera 6.1 or 12 Mega, is defined by unique conditions and the ability to know how to use the equipment to get the best Image to display your Picture view story.

Unique is the defining circumstance that may require advanced equipment to get results out of camera with less PC Shop adjustments.

In normal conditions (not unique), perhaps they all are very equal.

I am just throwing these ideas in regard too ...just how fine the line between the NOW level of SLR's.

In my humble opinion we are all lucky to be part of any model D-SLR during these beginning years , to push the edge and define the differences is the Hobby , as much as the silent moments alone with our interest to capture our visual personalities (the Picture) and see the results (The Image)

Words are for the Heart sound is for the
Soul

matthew saville Registered since 23rd Mar 2004Thu 26-Jan-06 09:31 PM
#37. "RE: I'm about to go backwards."
In response to Reply # 36

Irvine, US

Yes, I think there are definitely some people who simply have "an eye" for good images, or a talent for capturing images that express something from within them...

To be sure, I would rather have "an eye" any day of the year instead of $10,000 worth of equipment. I think what you ponder is correct: "any camera" can take just as good pictures as another, given certain basic standards. (Meaning a disposable camera with cheapo film etc. will usually not qualify as a good enough camera to capture one's vision. But it does depend on one's vision, and some people love their holga / pinhole camera etc.)

Here's how I see it: Good photography is 90% talent, 10% equipment. Good equipment is 90% lens. After that, the top priority is a good tripod. (for a nature shooter at least) Finally when you have all this, you can worry about what camera body to use. I'm not the best example but I have an N65 and a D70 with some decent lenses and a good sturdy tripod, instead of a D200 and a soft "disposable" lens with cheapo wall-mart tripod... (I did the math, I could afford a D200 if I sold all my gear. But I'd much rather have it this way!)

It is important to remeber one thing though: there is a difference between capturing your vision in good enough quality to convey a message to the viewer, and capturing your vision in good enough quality to publish, sell, or do an exhibition with. This is why many photographers "MUST" shoot with a D2X etc. They simply require the extra features so they can keep their job. But make no mistake, the MESSAGE could be exactly the same with a D50. There is NO advantage the D2X has over the D50, as far as deciding which direction to point your camera in, or deciding when to click the shutter, is concerned. In fact in some extreme cases, for example with Galen Rowell, it can be argued that the big, heavy, full-bodied pro cameras can actually hinder one from being in the right place at the right time.

So you should be incredibly happy with a D50, unless you're trying to shoot for a stock agency or a magazine etc. Which I doubt you are. With a D50, you can make wonderful 16x24" prints which is much bigger than you'll ever wish for probably! And you'll be even more happy if you KEEP your D50 for a long time, and invest instead in good lenses. (and support if you're a nature shooter)

For portraits I'll take a D50 and an 85mm f/1.8, or for landscape photography I'll take a D50 and a 12-24 DX, or for macro I'll take a D50 and a Sigma 150mm HSM macro, even if someone offered me the alternative of a D2X and a cheapo lens. (Though if I were sneaky I'd take the D2X and sell it and buy a D50 and ALL those good lenses, with money left over for a good tripod system!! But you get the point...)

And finally, like I said before I'd prefer to have "an eye" any day of the week and my old $125 Olympus C740 (3.2 MP) instead of having all the equipment in the world only to lack "an eye"...

Take care,
-Matt-

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1440 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.