Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1436
View in linear mode

Subject: "External Flash Connection" Previous topic | Next topic
Irishman Registered since 22nd Dec 2005Wed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"External Flash Connection"

Las Vegas, US

I now have a D50. I use external flash by Lumidine and want to use outdoors or indoors. I isolate the D50 with a WIEN HSHS-B voltage intercept. I would set the "Manual" to f/8 and 250 for indoors, connect the Lumedyne PC cord to the WIEN. I cannot find the setting that turns off the "pop up" flash. Same if outdoors for "fill in flash" for under shade or the like..
My Nikon Coolpix 4500 has "turn off" feature. Any other setting the camera 1) extends the shutter (which doesn't work in a bright room)
2) adjusts the aperture. I cannot find a "setting" in the D50 instruction book with the camera. And I like "depth of field" in
my pictures especially with a wide angle lens.
A nice Christmas to all....

Irishman

Irishman

Attachment #1, (txt file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 26-Dec-05 11:11 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: External Flash Connection"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

In manual mode, you have full control. Don't pop the built-in flash up and it won't fire (the wein should stop it from extending fully anyway). The required aperture is dictated by the output level of the flash (if you lower the flash's power, you can use a wider aperture). You can use any shutter speed you wish, but going higher than 1/500th can effectively reduce the flash intensity.

Irishman Registered since 22nd Dec 2005Tue 27-Dec-05 05:27 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: External Flash Connection"
In response to Reply # 1

Las Vegas, US

Dear Sir (or Madam, as the case may be!) I used Sunpak and Vivitar flash units (not the Lumedyne) to try your suggestion. It works quite well and the "popup" flash doesn't activate. In a series of about 30 frames, "the flashing range light" had to come to life to make "things work". (I think??) At a stting of 1/200 & f/8 and using the ThYristor that also worked. I even ADDITIONALLY put the Sunpak on the WIEN and "things worked". "Sometimes" nothing "flashed" but I think you need to have very fresh batteries all around.
Essentially I have a "regular film camera" such as my F3.
I will report back on this - THANK YOU FOR BEING SO HELPFUL -
AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR....Irishman

Irishman

Irishman Registered since 22nd Dec 2005Tue 27-Dec-05 08:03 PM
#3. "RE: External Flash Connection"
In response to Reply # 1

Las Vegas, US

Back again...have tested with the Lumedyne flash unit and "everything" works very well, including attaching a Vivtar unit on the WIEN. Can't use the "thyristor" AND the Lumedyn as the Lumedyne "shuts down" the sensor.
Trying a "group portrait" in the morning and everything will be given a "test". Much appreciated and well worth the price to belong to Nikonians....Irishman

Irishman

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1436 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.