Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #14264
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which lens for my D40?" Previous topic | Next topic
okrimer Registered since 19th Jan 2007Fri 19-Jan-07 12:36 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which lens for my D40?"

US

I recently got my first DSLR, the D40. So far I love it, and am having fun learning how to actually take a picture, rather than just pointing and hoping.

I of course have the kit lens, the 18-55mm, and am looking to get more of a telephoto lens as well.

I think the inexpensive 55-200mm is out unless I get some info that it's great.

I'm leaning toward the 70-300mm VR, but kinda like the idea of the 18 - 200mm VR - one lens to learn with before I get into primes.

I'd appreciate any advice about the 70-300mm vs the 18-200mm.

thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which lens for my D40?
jkspoff2
20th Jan 2007
forestmage
20th Jan 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
20th Jan 2007
Lentil
20th Jan 2007
okrimer
21st Jan 2007
FTO13
23rd Jan 2007
edmun
23rd Jan 2007
Berodesign
24th Jan 2007
okrimer
25th Jan 2007
Berodesign
25th Jan 2007

jkspoff2 Registered since 17th Jan 2006Sat 20-Jan-07 12:19 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I would highly recommend the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens, I have this currently on my D40 and it is outstanding, a bit pricey but well worth it. You will hardly ever need to take it off for standard images. A worthwhile investment. Don't forget the lense needs to have the motor built in, i.e. DX's' range mainly.

forestmage Registered since 30th Jul 2006Sat 20-Jan-07 07:33 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I second the recommendation for the 18-200VR lens. Very nice lens for the D40 and extremely versatile. Balances well on the D40 body.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 20-Jan-07 03:25 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

FYI the 55-200 is great! It's a highly underrated lens. If you're planning on wildlife or bird photography then I'd consider nothing shorter than 300mm.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
Please visit my Nikonians gallery

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Lentil Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Sat 20-Jan-07 09:33 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

SE

I agree with Larry regarding 300mm and wildlife. You never get enough tele so if you're into shooting far away things, go for 70-300. I can almost guarantee you that wildlife shots will consistently end up past 200mm.

okrimer Registered since 19th Jan 2007Sun 21-Jan-07 02:44 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I can't go wrong with any of them. I suppose I should play around for a while to see if I think I need to go out to 300mm.

Thanks again.

FTO13 Registered since 23rd Dec 2006Tue 23-Jan-07 12:36 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 5

Frisco, US

Hye okrimer,

I got my D40 for Christmas and have been juggling this very issue. This is what I decided to do...Start with the 18-135, then add the 70-300, and the SB800 speedlight for my lower light work. I had originally toyed with the 18-200 VR, but the lack of availability got me to looking at alternatives. I had even considered the 70-200 2.8 for my low light work, but after reading and doing some additional research, I decided that the high-dollar option just wasn't practical and I still wouldn't have the additional reach that the 70-300 will give me. I can always add it later if the other two don't meet my requirements. Also, I'm still new the the DSLR world and am taking my baby steps, as hard as it can be sometimes. I like the BIG Toys!!! I'm excited about re-entering the SLR photography hobby. This is a great site and source of information and support!

Cheer,
Kev

FTO13
"ForeverTheOptimist"

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 23-Jan-07 12:50 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 6

eugene, US

You have a good lens in the 18-55.

the 18-200 will be a duplicate of the 18-55 and is almost impossible to find.

The 70-300 will be a extension of the 18-55 and will extend the kind of things you can shoot.

The first thing you will discover is that a 200 mm lens is just not a long as a 300 when it comes to sports and wildlife (kids).

My vote would be the 70-300 followed by the 18-200 when they become more available.

ledmun

Berodesign Registered since 21st Feb 2006Wed 24-Jan-07 09:40 AM
483 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Stockholm, SE

Not really a answer to your question but still something that might be of interest.
You can actually mount non-Ai lenses on the D40 without damaging anything. And there is alot of nice glass found really really cheap in its non-Ai versions.
You will have to focus manually which is quite easy actually, both in respect to the focus screen but also the electronic rangefinder is quite accurate. You will also have no metering what so ever but that you will not have with any of the older MF-lenses, Ai or not, and it is terribly easy to adjust exposure after the histogram. I actually get better shots that way then to let the camera do the exposure itself.
So, look on oBoy or in your local camera store and get yourself a nice 50 mm 1.4 non-Ai for 20-30 bucks and shoot away!

okrimer Registered since 19th Jan 2007Thu 25-Jan-07 01:38 PM
#9. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks for the advice. I do shoot wildlife - 3 boys ages, 2, 4, & 6 - so hearing that I need 300mm is helpful.

One question on the 70-300mmVR AFS - is it too big for the D40?

Also thanksfor the advice about primes. I was thinking they were out because of the metering issue - but I'm definintely up for picking up a cheap used lense and playing around. What about the 50mm 1.8? I can probably afford that new.

tx everyone

Berodesign Registered since 21st Feb 2006Thu 25-Jan-07 10:17 PM
483 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which lens for my D40?"
In response to Reply # 9

Stockholm, SE

The 70-300 should be fine as long as you support the package by holding the lens, not the camera. Thumb of rule, if the lens is heavier then the camera, hold it by the lens.

As for lenses, look at www.naturfotograf.com at the lens rewievs, and then go to www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html to find out exactly what serials you are looking for. Then get the best stuff, or second best, I usually go for lenses rated 4 on naturfotograf.com, they are decent enough and usually not as highly priced as those rated as 5:ers. But do check serials and stuff on photosynthesis so you know you are getting the absolutely right lens.

I can recommend the 35 mm f/2.0 non-Ai. Cheap as hell and a gem when it comes to optical qualities. It is also only slighter bigger then a 50 mm but gives you approximately the same FOV as a 50 mm on film. If you want a fast lens, go for the 50 mm f/1.4 non-Ai, cheap since it is a non-Ai but same optical qualities as the much more expensive Ai and Ais versions.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #14264 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.