nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1408
View in linear mode

Subject: "Macros" Previous topic | Next topic
sara marriott Registered since 19th Dec 2005Fri 23-Dec-05 11:01 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Macros"

Darrow, US

I have a question concerning Macros. Is it best to use macros when wanting to do close up shots, or will a 200mm + zoom lens work just as good? Macro lenses or macro filters? I am not experienced with Macros, so I want to know which would be best to use. I really love the effect that you can get with extreme close up shots, so this is why I am asking.
Thanks!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions Charter MemberSat 24-Dec-05 12:19 AM
12790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Macros"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

Hi Sara, for a detailed and highly professional look at all the options, have a look at this article in our resources section.

Paul Fisher
Nikonian in Perth, Western Australia
My home page

sara marriott Registered since 19th Dec 2005Sat 24-Dec-05 02:59 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Macros"
In response to Reply # 1

Darrow, US

Thanks Paul, that was very very helpful!

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 24-Dec-05 04:47 AM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Macros"
In response to Reply # 2

Rancho Cordova, US

Forum.

BTW, If you decide to try diopters (also called close up lenses - they look like filters that you screw onto the filter threads of your lens), be sure to get the two element sort. Also, diopters work better on longer local length lenses than on wide or normal focal lengths.

If you eventually want to pursue macro photography, you will want to get a dedicated macro lens.

Another great book for Macro (but it was written during the film era, but a lot of the information still applies) is John Shaw's CLOSEUPS IN NATURE available in our Nikonian Bookshelves #18.

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1408 Previous topic | Next topic