Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1370
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best "place" to change lenses to minimize dust" Previous topic | Next topic
RCBrust Registered since 21st Dec 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 12:27 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best "place" to change lenses to minimize dust"

Any thoughts on where the best place is to change lenses? There are times when the sun is shining through a window in my house and I can see the dust in the air (forced air heat). Is it better to go outside and do a lens change? Or perhaps in the basement where there is no forced air heat? I have noticed that things tend to collect much less dust in the basement. I have a new D50 and I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks,
Randy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Wed 21-Dec-05 03:26 PM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best "place" to change lenses to minimize dust"
In response to Reply # 0

Key West, US

To start with, you must accept as part of "life with a DSLR" that you will get dust on the sensor. Efforts to avoid it will just reduce the problem.

The general things to do or avoid:

1. higher humidity generally reduces dust in the air.
2. avoid windy/breezy locations when possible.
3. point the camera down while removing the lens; most dust/dirt that is not in suspension in the air will fall rather than rise.
4. cap the rear of the removed lens as soon as practical to avoid its gathering dust; a lot of dust on sensors comes from dirty lenses rather than dust floating in while the lens is off.
5. keep the rear caps clean; if you must leave one loose, cap it with a body cap.

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

soupdragon Basic MemberThu 22-Dec-05 05:20 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best "place" to change lenses to minimize dust"
In response to Reply # 1

I can tell you from experience where not to change lenses.
My biggest mistake was sitting on a fabric sofa while lens swapping.
The minute you sit on a sofa it acts like a puff ball, dust everywhere.
Another really bad place to change a lens is on the beach.

espuna Registered since 07th Dec 2005Fri 23-Dec-05 09:35 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best "place" to change lenses to minimize dust"
In response to Reply # 2

Mazarrón, ES

If you have a zoom lens, you'll be sucking/blowing air in/out every time you change focal length.

benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002Fri 23-Dec-05 06:40 PM
563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Dust on sensors with "all" DSLR's - not!"
In response to Reply # 1

Fuquay Varina, US

One of the nice things about trying a variety (and I mean variety) of cameras over the past four years is that I've come to enjoy the plusses relevant to each manufacturer's releases. I'm definitely not a camera snob and enjoy the various ways that different brands render colors and tonality.

Having said that, a few years back I was pleasantly surprised to discover the Olympus E-1 (along with the E300 and E500) and the inherent built-in dust shaker. To this date (after thousands and thousands of images and changing of lenses), I've not yet had to worry about dust! In fact, the only time I had to become concerned about dust was when using a variety of other DSLR's.

From what I understand, the patent for this highly successor dust shaker assembly in the Olympus E-system cameras may expire soon, and the word in some circles is that soon other camera manufacturers will develop a variation of their own - which would be really, really nice. And I cannot begin to tell you how nice it is not to have to worry about dust and debris because this internal cleaner - which is activated when you turn your camera on - does such a remarkable job.

As much as I love most DSLR's - in particular, Nikon...I have to give the nod to Olympus in this particular arena (dust). They've managed to control it quite well and I am astounded at how well that mechanism words (known as the supersonic Wave Dust Cleaner).

And please, I am not flaming anything or anyone with the aforementioned statements. Rather, it was a statement of fact. In 4 years I've managed to own and try over 30 different digital cameras, and it was interesting to experience the various plusses and minuses of each unit.

Good Shooting...

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/benherrmann/blink_bestfriends2.gif

Good Shooting...

Ben

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1370 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.