nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #13697
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 vs D50" Previous topic | Next topic
otter Registered since 28th Dec 2006Thu 28-Dec-06 02:58 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 vs D50"

US

Hi All,

I've been trying to decide between the D40 and D50 for my first "serious" DSLR camera. I would rate myself as an intermediate film photographer and a novice digital photgrapher. I've read too many reviews about each of these to remember at this point, but the vast majority of reviews for each of these have been excellent. Obviously, the D50 has more info available b/c its been around longer, but almost everything I've seen and heard on the D40 has been positive. Now here are my questions: Which of these would most of you recommend to a new digital photographer that wants to take quality pics? Is there a quality difference between the two? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Which of these would be better for more rugged, long term use? Thank you.

otter.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40 vs D50
kgendron12
28th Dec 2006
JoelT
28th Dec 2006
Tecant
29th Dec 2006
OH6LGM
28th Dec 2006
zeex3
29th Dec 2006
tgreene
29th Dec 2006
jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
29th Dec 2006
larrym105 Gold Member
29th Dec 2006
RichardNYC
29th Dec 2006
WTx
30th Dec 2006

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Thu 28-Dec-06 03:39 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington, US

They will both take quality pictures. The D40 doesn't have as many functions as the D50, just as the D50 doesn't have as many functions as the D80.

Big differences between the D40 and D50:
3 point autofocus points on D40 vs 5 point autofocus points on D50
D50 is compatable with AF and AF-S lenses
D40 only compatable with AF-S lenses (AF-S lenses have the focus motor in the lens. For AF lenses the motor needs to be in the body). Examples of AF lenses are 50mm f/1.8 & 85 f/1.8 and many others. See sticky post above for lenses that are compatable with the D40.
There isn't a status LCD screen on top which may or may not be an issue for people. You can only use the 2.5" LCD screen for the basic info.
I do like the 2.5" LCD screen on the D40 vs the 2" on the D50.

I like the D50 over the D40. I think there are other camera's for the same price as the D40 that have more features.

Good luck with your shopping.

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JoelT Basic MemberThu 28-Dec-06 05:30 PM
281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Get the D40. I'm assuming you don't have any lenses invested yet so this would be nice for your "first serious DSLR."

Tecant Registered since 05th Oct 2006Fri 29-Dec-06 04:50 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 1

West Allis, US

The D40 and D50 are both good choices. I received a D50 as a Christmas gift from my wife. After a few days with it I am absolutely delighted.

kgendron12 (above) has a good explanation of the lens issues. That was what really tipped us toward the D50. I already had a Nikon N75 35mm film body with a Nikon 28-80mm G, a 70-300mm G, and Tokina 19-35mm lenses, none of which will work on the D40.

Had I been starting from scratch I might have picked the D40 with 18-55mm AF-S DX kit lens ($600) and added the 55-200 AF-S DX tele zoom ($170) to cover the same range as my 28-80 + 70-300 on my N75. The D40 is a one year newer design and the larger LCD would have been a plus. With the D50 you have more lens choices.

The price of a new D50 with the same 18-55AF-S DX kit lens has dropped to match the price of the D40, about $600. You can't go wrong with either one.

Tecant
A Milwaukee Nikonian

OH6LGM Registered since 13th Dec 2006Thu 28-Dec-06 06:40 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Laukaa, FI

i would take d50 (i have d50)

D40 fits better in littele hands, example littele girls.. D50 feels ok on my hands D80 good... it's allways compromise between something..

D50 have autofocus motor on body so you can find cheaper objectives for it.. sigma tamron.. allso in second hand.. if moneyis subject??

D50 is cheaper and you can spent saved money to extra lens??

Picture quality is quite same ..

Both are good choises

Jari

zeex3 Basic MemberFri 29-Dec-06 05:21 AM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I have a D2hs, I just bought my wife a D40 for Xmas, man what a great little camera, and what a price.

Please visit my gallery
http://www.naturexposed.net

tgreene Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Fri 29-Dec-06 03:16 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Jonesboro, US

work on the D40. This is quickly becoming my favorite lense because of it's versatility. It's a true 1:1 Macro that is a very sharp/bright/crisp/vivid f2.8 PRIME lense that is quickly being picked up and used daily by professionals. As a graphics artist, I use mine professionally for close-up product photography in macro and near-macro. I also use it for photographing my reef tank.

While there is a wide array of cheaper junk out there (Phoenix and others), there is a myriad of options that exist without being forced into a niche market, that "could" be price controlled. Compare the specs and reviews of the Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro to the same Nikon, then look at the price difference... The interesting thing is, the new Sigma actually gets better ratings and reviews in a side-by-side comparisson, before price even enters the equation (several hundred dollar difference), but if you can't use it, then you're pretty much SOL and forced into either sticking with what you have and doing without, upgrading cameras and taking a hit, or spending big $$$ for a lesser quality lense.

Never fall for marketing ploys!

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 29-Dec-06 03:47 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 6

New York, US

Also remember that "not work" is a strong term for externally focused lenses. The lens will work fine, just not autofocus. Since when I shoot macro I tend to prefer manually fine tuning focus your Sigma on a D40 wouldn't be an issue for me. The only Nikkors that I may miss AF on are the 10.5mm fisheye (but this is very specialized and generally the only time it's not focused at infinity is then it's used for "macro" work where I would switch to MF anyway), my 80-400mm (but this is a very slow focusing lens even on a D200 and in need of an AF-S update for other reasons), and the Nikon fast primes (the 50mm F1.8 is invaluable and probably the only class of lens I'd actually miss AF on).

Hopefully Nikon will start revamping gaps in the AF-S lineup, Sigma will fill out their line with more HSM models, and the rest of the crew (Tokina, Tamron, etc.) can come up with the faster in-lens focusing systems.

Jeff Bower
I wish my D200 body was a significant portion of my NAS-related expenses...
Moderator D40/D50, D80 and Underwater forums.

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

larrym105 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Fri 29-Dec-06 05:07 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Scotia, US

I have & love both - you won't make a mistake with either one - build quality is the same.

The reduction to 3 focus sensors has no effect on my pics (outdoor wildlife, people at parties, etc...) so I really don't count that as a differentiator.

I would say that if you think you'll want to get into the full variety of lenses available to Nikon lens mount cameras then go with the D50 - otherwise the D40 has some very useful features over the D50.

1) In camera processing (I've fixed color balance issues a few times now) - the ability to see an R, G & B histogram in a camera is a great learning tool.

2) ISO 3200 - I'd rather have a noisy picture than no picture at all

3) 2.5 inch bright LCD - I don't miss the top LCD at all & now prefer seeing the camera settings on the bigger brighter screen (originally I didn't think I would like not having the top LCD - but I definitely do think Nikon's choice here improved the experience of using the camera) - the zoom function works great at helping me decide if the focus is really correct.

4) Easier to learn how the various features of the camera (without going to the manual) effect your pictures - Nikon has done a stellar job on the new menu interface, I use it all the time now for reviewing my settings (I can see them all at one tim on the big LCD) and making changes easily right there on screen.

Enjoy,
-LarryM

Thanks,
-LarryM

RichardNYC Registered since 23rd Dec 2006Fri 29-Dec-06 05:36 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Do you need to be able to auto-focus with a lens that is not compatible with the D40? http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=16715&forum=DCForumID201

Yes - get a D50

No - get a D40

WTx Registered since 05th Jul 2006Sat 30-Dec-06 03:41 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D40 vs D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Go with the D50! You will eventually want some AF lenses and the D40 won't take them. When you get to this point you will be VERY sad you didn't go D50! Also, if the D40 has 3200 ISO I can see why since you can't use some of the low light lenses like the 50mm 1.8/1.4 or the 85mm 1.8/1.4? Why should you settle for noisy pictures at 3200ISO when you can get better lenses and go 1600, 800, etc? Better pictures come from better lenses NOT 3200 ISO! Don't get me wrong 3200 ISO has uses but it should be a rare occasion you need 3200 ISO. There are too many other ways to compensate for low light than getting noisy pictures at 3200. Please please please go D50, D80 or better!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #13697 Previous topic | Next topic