Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1361
View in linear mode

Subject: "A few simple questions on the D50...." Previous topic | Next topic
benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002Wed 21-Dec-05 12:19 PM
563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A few simple questions on the D50...."

Fuquay Varina, US

Hi folks:

After a temporary hiatus from the Nikon line, I've re-entered with the D50/SB-800 combo. Nope...I don't want to go down the road of why I left, but suffice it to say I've built up quite a nice Olympus collection. I love my Olympus E-system gear and enjoy that tonality very much and will continue to upgrade there. But I am not a camera snob and will purchase gear that I feel yields wonderful images - and let's face it, the clarity of good Nikon gear can yield many rewards.

Over the last year or more I've become increasingly impressed with the Nikon tonality, so I'm back and am also going to order the D200.

But here are my questions (and I did do a search, but the wording I used did not yield anything that I could use):

1. I too am discovering the overexposure (brightness) scenario with my D50. In fact, in unevenly lit scenes with strong contrasts, my picture can become completely blown out with matrix metering as the camera attempts to bring up the shadows to the highlights level. This is very disconcerting to me - but I am experimenting here and will eventually wind up reaching a balance. Of course, if any of you have suggestions for this...I'd be thankful - otherwise, I will continue to experiment. So right now I am experimenting with dialing in anywhere from -.3 to -.5 EC. In this case has anyone experimented with using center-weight average metering as opposed to matrix - and what were the results.

2. Back when I had the D100, I experimented with many custom tone curves. Now, sounding like an amateur as I get back into the Nikon end of things, I assume the same is possible with the D50 (I have Capture 4.4)? And does anyone have a site or recommendation where I can go to download some custom tone curves that perhaps tame the overexposure scenario with the D50?

Anyway, thanks in advance for answering these few simple questions.

--
Good shooting...

Ben

Good Shooting...

Ben

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A few simple questions on the D50....
avm247 Moderator
22nd Dec 2005
soupdragon
22nd Dec 2005
Reply message Soupdragon...
benherrmann
22nd Dec 2005
     Reply message RE: Soupdragon...
soupdragon
22nd Dec 2005
Reply message Thanks Anthony...
benherrmann
22nd Dec 2005
     Reply message RE: Thanks Anthony...
soupdragon
22nd Dec 2005
MstrBones Silver Member
22nd Dec 2005
Reply message I typically shoot in Aperture Priority...
benherrmann
23rd Dec 2005

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 22-Dec-05 06:17 AM
18518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A few simple questions on the D50...."
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Ben,

Welcome back, long time no see. Congrats on the D50.

1) Is it possible to use an ND filter or grad ND to even out the scene? With film (yes, I still use film) I'd spot meter and try and control the highlights. Of course, if you have a tripod, you can take two shots, one for the highlights and one for the shaddows and combine them in postprocessing.

2) I have not yet heard of any curves available for the D50, though that does not mean that it does not exist.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

soupdragon Basic MemberThu 22-Dec-05 06:39 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A few simple questions on the D50...."
In response to Reply # 1

I gave up with matrix metering after about a week.
I use partial almost all the time now.

benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002Thu 22-Dec-05 12:00 PM
563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Soupdragon..."
In response to Reply # 2

Fuquay Varina, US

Love that on-line handle!

I've heard several folks now mention that on the D50 they are winding up using the average metering more so than matrix. I will have to experiment here and really, like any photographic situation, experimentation will have to be the key for each and every situation.

Thanks,

Good Shooting...

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/benherrmann/blink_bestfriends2.gif

Good Shooting...

Ben

soupdragon Basic MemberThu 22-Dec-05 02:54 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Soupdragon..."
In response to Reply # 4

>Love that on-line handle!
>
>I've heard several folks now mention that on the D50 they
>are winding up using the average metering more so than
>matrix. I will have to experiment here and really, like any
>photographic situation, experimentation will have to be the
>key for each and every situation.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Good Shooting...
>
>Ben
>
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/benherrmann/blink_bestfriends2.gif
Well a merry Christmas to you as well.

benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002Thu 22-Dec-05 11:58 AM
#3. "Thanks Anthony..."
In response to Reply # 1

Fuquay Varina, US

I've been making the rounds over the past few years - trying virtually everything out there. Enjoyed the Olympus colors (just a personal thing here), but over the last year with the evolving of the Nikon metering system and in-camera processing, I have become increasingly drawn back to Nikon. But the biggest factor is that regardless of high quality lenses from whatever manufacturers, good Nikkor glass coupled with a Nikon DSLR, makes for some of the sharpest images out there. So it's obvious to me that I am now making the long tread back into this fold. The D200 (and everything that goes with it) will be next and then the lens collection will begin. Geeezzzzz, none of this comes easy, does it.

Ben

Good Shooting...

Ben

soupdragon Basic MemberThu 22-Dec-05 02:56 PM
#6. "RE: Thanks Anthony..."
In response to Reply # 3

>I've been making the rounds over the past few years - trying
>virtually everything out there. Enjoyed the Olympus colors
>(just a personal thing here), but over the last year with
>the evolving of the Nikon metering system and in-camera
>processing, I have become increasingly drawn back to Nikon.
>But the biggest factor is that regardless of high quality
>lenses from whatever manufacturers, good Nikkor glass
>coupled with a Nikon DSLR, makes for some of the sharpest
>images out there. So it's obvious to me that I am now
>making the long tread back into this fold. The D200 (and
>everything that goes with it) will be next and then the lens
>collection will begin. Geeezzzzz, none of this comes easy,
>does it.
>
>Ben
>
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/benherrmann/blink_bestfriends2.gif

I picked up a D200 in the shop an nearly did a runner with it.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 22-Dec-05 04:14 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: A few simple questions on the D50...."
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Ben,

What you are describing is sort of a typical scenario in a high contrast lighting situation for digital cameras in general.

Are you using the histogram function in the camera to examine these photos? That could be a clue to some of the issues with blown out highlights.

Also, just curious, are you shooting in maual mode?

Regards

""

benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002Fri 23-Dec-05 06:32 PM
#8. "I typically shoot in Aperture Priority..."
In response to Reply # 7

Fuquay Varina, US

And I shoot manual when using indoor flash scenarios (with all of my cameras). I find that manual works best for me in flash mode, whereas Aperture Priority (I shoot mostly scenics and/or people shots) works best.

Good Shooting...

Ben

Good Shooting...

Ben

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1361 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.