nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A few simple questions on the D50....

benherrmann

Fuquay Varina, US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Wed 21-Dec-05 12:19 PM

Hi folks:

After a temporary hiatus from the Nikon line, I've re-entered with the D50/SB-800 combo. Nope...I don't want to go down the road of why I left, but suffice it to say I've built up quite a nice Olympus collection. I love my Olympus E-system gear and enjoy that tonality very much and will continue to upgrade there. But I am not a camera snob and will purchase gear that I feel yields wonderful images - and let's face it, the clarity of good Nikon gear can yield many rewards.

Over the last year or more I've become increasingly impressed with the Nikon tonality, so I'm back and am also going to order the D200.

But here are my questions (and I did do a search, but the wording I used did not yield anything that I could use):

1. I too am discovering the overexposure (brightness) scenario with my D50. In fact, in unevenly lit scenes with strong contrasts, my picture can become completely blown out with matrix metering as the camera attempts to bring up the shadows to the highlights level. This is very disconcerting to me - but I am experimenting here and will eventually wind up reaching a balance. Of course, if any of you have suggestions for this...I'd be thankful - otherwise, I will continue to experiment. So right now I am experimenting with dialing in anywhere from -.3 to -.5 EC. In this case has anyone experimented with using center-weight average metering as opposed to matrix - and what were the results.

2. Back when I had the D100, I experimented with many custom tone curves. Now, sounding like an amateur as I get back into the Nikon end of things, I assume the same is possible with the D50 (I have Capture 4.4)? And does anyone have a site or recommendation where I can go to download some custom tone curves that perhaps tame the overexposure scenario with the D50?

Anyway, thanks in advance for answering these few simple questions.

--
Good shooting...

Ben

Good Shooting...

Ben

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A few simple questions on the D50....
Reply message Soupdragon...
     Reply message RE: Soupdragon...
Reply message Thanks Anthony...
     Reply message RE: Thanks Anthony...
Reply message I typically shoot in Aperture Priority...

G