Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1335
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?" Previous topic | Next topic
dogpaddler Registered since 11th Dec 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 06:03 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?"

US

How weatherproof is the D50? I am contemplating getting this as a gift for a family member. They are into outdoor sports including kayaking and would like to know if this camera can tolerate a splash of water or rain. Would they be better off with a D70s? D200 is out of my budget for a gift at this time.

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?
soupdragon
21st Dec 2005
edmun
21st Dec 2005
espuna
21st Dec 2005
alembicbassman
21st Dec 2005
cgaengineer
21st Dec 2005
dogpaddler
22nd Dec 2005
K1W1
22nd Dec 2005

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 21-Dec-05 06:56 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have no idea, all I can say is, it's unlikely to protected against more than a few drops of rain.
I would certainly avoid splashing water on anything less than one of the pro spec models

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 21-Dec-05 07:17 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Ewa marine makes water resistant housings.

Your question does not have a answer -- from what I have read -- rain seems to not harm the camera but nobody is going to say this.

ledmun

espuna Registered since 07th Dec 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 09:18 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?"
In response to Reply # 2

Mazarrón, ES

"This product is not waterproof, and may malfunction if immersed in water or exposed to high levels of humidity. Rusting of the internal mechanism can cause irreparable damage."

alembicbassman Registered since 30th Oct 2004Wed 21-Dec-05 10:08 AM
1331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?"
In response to Reply # 3

The North, GB

Try the Pentax Optio WP compact. It's a fully waterproof digital compact.

They even tested it under water with explosives on a recent UK TV show and it survived in full working comdition.

The D50 will not survive heavy splashes.

cgaengineer Registered since 31st Oct 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 11:28 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?"
In response to Reply # 0

Winder, US

I own a D70 and I will tell you that I have taken it in the rain several times and it still works. I wont tell you that your family member can submerge his camera, but can it tolerate a few lite rain drops...yes. I have had my D70 so wet that I had to keep wiping the top LCD to be able to read it.

dogpaddler Registered since 11th Dec 2005Thu 22-Dec-05 04:34 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>I own a D70 and I will tell you that I have taken it in the
>rain several times and it still works. I wont tell you that
>your family member can submerge his camera, but can it
>tolerate a few lite rain drops...yes. I have had my D70 so
>wet that I had to keep wiping the top LCD to be able to read
>it.

Thanks for the input. I'm not asking if it can be submerged, I'm asking if it can stand rain and maybe a splash or two from a kayak paddle.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 22-Dec-05 09:11 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D50 weather sealing or weatherproof?"
In response to Reply # 6

Melbourne, AU

There is no way I'd be taking a D50 anywhere near a kayak without a proper waterproof housing. Kayaks have a habit of tipping over and dumping their loose contents into water even with the best of care. You are in a water environment you should get a waterproof camera.
Unless you want to go to the expense of a full waterproof housing for the D50 I'd go for a P&S from Nikon, Canon or Sony with a full housing for about the same total price as a D50 body.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1335 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.