Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #13348
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why is a D40 just for beginners?" Previous topic | Next topic
Stankley Registered since 21st Nov 2006Thu 14-Dec-06 11:29 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why is a D40 just for beginners?"

US

I've been considering getting a D40 as a step up from a P&S. I've had film SLRs in the past, but turned to P&S when we entered the digital age because of the cost of dSLRs. Well, now that has changed, and for $600US I can get myself a well-reviewed SLR in the form of a D40.

I've read comments in this forum and other newsgroups, and have seen many comments which indicate that the D40 is a good step up from a P&S, is a wise choice for beginners, etc. What I'm having a hard time understanding is where are the limitations in this camera, and why is it cast with some aspersions from seasoned photographers?

From reading the specs, it offers full manual control, exposure compensation, multiple focussing modes, RAW support, unlimited shooting at 2.5fps, etc. What's missing then? What makes this camera a 'glorified P&S' (as I read somewhere)?

I realize that it only supports AF-S lenses, and that I will be limiting my lens choices... at least until Nikon starts producing more AF-S lenses. And I realize the body is plastic, so shouldn't be my choice for shooting in a warzone. But these seem to be the only limitation. Sure, it has fancy menus and help text that a pro clearly isn't going to be interested in, but you don't have to use any of that.

Is it just snobbery and elitism that evokes the 'OK for beginners' comment?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?
briantilley Moderator
14th Dec 2006
alembicbassman
14th Dec 2006
RiCEADDiCTBOY
15th Dec 2006
mister_Bin
15th Dec 2006
briantilley Moderator
15th Dec 2006
drichi
23rd Dec 2006
DICKG
18th Dec 2006
Jerry in SC
15th Dec 2006
Thorpe
15th Dec 2006
simpo two
15th Dec 2006
kgendron12
17th Dec 2006
bmccaff
22nd Dec 2006
drichi
23rd Dec 2006
Tecant
29th Dec 2006
RichardNYC
29th Dec 2006
2kfire
29th Dec 2006
redpony
29th Dec 2006
fotodog101
30th Dec 2006
Reply message Missing important features
BJNicholls Gold Member
29th Dec 2006
Reply message RE: Missing important features
Lilandra
31st Dec 2006
MazG
13th Jan 2007
Lilandra
14th Jan 2007
WTx
30th Dec 2006
RichardNYC
31st Dec 2006
DeoreDX
02nd Jan 2007
jkspoff2
20th Jan 2007
drossi
20th Jan 2007
Lentil
20th Jan 2007
drossi
21st Jan 2007

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 14-Dec-06 11:50 AM
28675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>Is it just snobbery and elitism that evokes the 'OK for
>beginners' comment?

I'm sure that (at Nikonians anyway!) there is very little elitism in member's views of the D40. Describing it as being aimed at beginners is merely a factual description of where Nikon themselves position it in the marketplace - the camera's main target customer segment is people who are new to DSLR's.

As for what is missing, although it is a capable camera in its own right, there are a lot of features and options which are not present. Many of these would give the extra degree of control that more experienced photographers (usually) tend to look for - a DoF preview button, more control over AF modes, the second control dial, bigger and brighter viewfinder, etc, etc... If you compare the specs with the D80 or D200, you'll see what is omitted.

That's not to say that the lack of such features makes the D40 a bad camera - it's not.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

alembicbassman Registered since 30th Oct 2004Thu 14-Dec-06 02:33 PM
1331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 1

The North, GB

The D40 probably produces better images than the D50.

It probably produces better images than any DSLR released prior to 2001 (that includes the D100 D1x and D70)

The lack of an AF screw is the main reason I chose the D50, as I own a couple of expensive AF-D lenses, otherwise I would have got a D40.

D200 users argue similarly with D80 users.

RiCEADDiCTBOY Registered since 02nd Dec 2006Fri 15-Dec-06 03:54 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 2

KR

i disagree. buy the d40. all you ever need to know:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/d40-recommendations.htm

mister_Bin Registered since 25th Oct 2006Fri 15-Dec-06 06:10 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

The reason they call the D40 a "beginners camera" is simply because of the price range and the way it is marketed. There is not doubt that it is a capable camera. Although you have to keep in mind that although it is feature rich it does lack many of the feature of its counterparts. This is another version of why it is considered a "Beginners Camera".

Its just marketed that way so it makes people more conformable with the idea of a SLR. You have to look at it from a marketing stand point. If all SLR were marketed as Professional SLR how many everyday P&S users make the jump. Not many. Now market some of those cameras as beginner or entry level now people see own an SLR a not so unreachable and unfiesable option.

D40 is a great camera no doubt about it. and if you like it why do you care what other people think of it. I own a D80 and then i bought a D70s all my friends shunned me for it because they said i was buying a legacy model and it was outdated BLAH BLAH BLAH.... But i liked that camera and i knew its potential. Now they all marvel at the pictures hanging on my walls.. If you like the D40 buy it even if people call it a disposable toy who cares you have to like it not magazine editors or the general public if you feel it has adeqaute features go for it.

** Nikonian for Ontario Canada**

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 15-Dec-06 10:12 AM
28675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

I've no wish to denigrate another website, but to say that Mr Rockwell's site contains "all you need to know" when the questioner is a member of Nikonians, with access to the huge amount of knowledge, expertise and helpfulness that our members can offer, is a little off-beam...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

drichi Basic MemberSat 23-Dec-06 01:13 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 2

GW

D70 was produced in 2004. Would love to hear how exactly the D40 produces better photos.

**Never fall in love with anything that can't love you back.**

DICKG Registered since 11th Nov 2006Mon 18-Dec-06 12:59 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 1

SAN JOSE, US

I go back to the 'Mat FT2 of the 1970's and I bought a D40 to move into "serious" digital photography (and replace a Coolpix 5700) -- I am very happy with it.

I think "beginners camera" refers to the "price point" -- heck, it still intimidates my wife and her Coolpix "S".

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Jerry in SC Registered since 09th Dec 2006Fri 15-Dec-06 12:04 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 0

Although marketed toward the P&S crowd, I think it offers some great flexibilty in a really small package. I've used film SLR's since the mid seventies and my last, an N80, was a really nice camera. I waited for a Nikon DSLR that was smaller than the N80 and feel that I have been rewarded...

Detractors abound when a new, less expensive, alternative is offered.

The D40 can take very fine exposures...as is.

Thorpe Registered since 14th Oct 2004Fri 15-Dec-06 03:03 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I agree the general points made above - it is marketed at beginners to DSLRs, or upgraders from P&S cameras. I think it is reasonable that the access to common functions is simplified for those people.

However, I personally would not say that it is a camera JUST for beginners. It gives access to all of the manual and creative functions one would expect (especially to someone like yourself whose film SLR probably did not have half of the whizzbang modes of the more advanced DSLRs of today - I know my original F601 was not over-specified). I intend to buy one to use as a proofing tool for studio work and portraits done with either my Mamiya 645, FM3A or F5, none of which I will be getting rid of. With that in mind, maybe we could categorise it as a camera PRIMARILY aimed at beginners to DSLRs, but ALSO with use for those who are quite confident with more advanced cameras? As also stated above, the D40 will be more up to date on firmware and such issues as controlling noise (software gets improved over time), and I know I would rather have a brand new D40 than a second hand D50, D70/s, D100, or D1X. The only second hand DSLRs that could possibly tempt me would be an D80, S3 Pro (different/better? sensor to Nikon), and a D2 era machine. But those would be a lot more than a new D40.

There is reportedly a 3 colour histogram included but not publicised, so the camera may be more capable than it seems. Incidentally, that information is prominent on Ken Rockwell's site, so perhaps Brian is a little quick to discourage a visit there. Not everyone at Nikonians is a fan of Ken Rockwell - there are good reasons but things are not always clear cut.

I appreciate that by my nature I probably fall well outside the standard target groups that marketeers obsess over, but then I'm unlikely to be swayed by marketing fluff. I like to make up my own mind and if it's against the popular grain, I'm not much fussed. Each to their own!

Thorpe

Thorpe

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Fri 15-Dec-06 07:11 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Hi Stankley and welcome.

Everyone has their own level. Not everyone wants a D2X, even if they can afford it. You have to decide on what facilities you want/need and which camera best neets those needs. If the D40 does everything you're likely to need for the foreseeable future, then it's the one for you. There's no point in spending money on features you don't want.

I bump into all kinds of people and cameras at weddings. I respect people who enjoy and appreciate their cameras, and take the trouble to work them as well as they can. What I despise is the 'all the gear, no idea' chap who spends thousands on shiny kit and has little idea how it works. Better a well used, understood D40 than a fool with a D2X.

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Sun 17-Dec-06 03:53 AM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 8

Burlington, US

IMO, there are a number of factors that make it more towards the beginner or P&S user compared to aimed at previous film SLR owners. One it is the smallest of the Nikon dSLR's, more along the size of the bridge cameras like the S3 IS or Sony H5 or the Pentax line, its also closer in size to the Canon digital Rebel which compared to my N70 film SLR is very small (at least for me), two it has only 3 auto focus areas compared to 5 on the D50 and 11 on the D80. Three, there is no top LCD status screen like on all the other Nikon dSLR's, only the 2.5" LCD screen on the back. Four, does not support AF lenses like the 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 and also many of the 3rd party lenses (it will only support Sigma's HSM lenses of which there are not many, yet they have a number of very good lesser expensive lenses that work great with the other Nikon dSLR's, ie: 24 or 28mm f/1.8 amoung others). Five, it's priced (lowest suggested price of all the Nikon dSLR's) as an entry-level/beginner camera.

This doesn't mean it doesn't perform well or take great pictures. It does.

The way I look at is that Nikon came out with the D50 to be aimed at those hobbyists that had film slr's in the past but aren't pro's or semi-pro's. Maybe they went digital a few years ago with a P&S, but kept their film SLR around till prices became affordable. Thats what I fall into.

Then Pentax started coming out with dSLR's and good one's at that. And to make it even worse, they are even more affordable. So maybe Nikon's tring to grab more of the people who didn't get the D50 before they switch to Pentax. They took a bunch of features off the D50, but kept the excellent sensor to make an even more affordable camera. So someone who's only used P&S camera's in the past but are very unhappy with their performance (slow start up, slow shutter lag, terrible high ISO performance {which many PnS camera's only go to 400, maybe 800}) can now get a better performing camera at a very affordable price. But if you look at the Pentax K100D with VR built into the body and more features for the same price as the D40 or the K110D without the VR, but still more features than D40 and less expensive for the same 6MP's, I think that makes the D40 even more so an "entry level/beginner" dSLR.

Just my $0.02.

My Disney World Gallery (2006 trip all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

bmccaff Registered since 24th Jan 2003Fri 22-Dec-06 04:20 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

>The way I look at is that Nikon came out with the D50 to be
>aimed at those hobbyists that had film slr's in the past but
>aren't pro's or semi-pro's. Maybe they went digital a few
>years ago with a P&S, but kept their film SLR around till
>prices became affordable. Thats what I fall into.

And that's where I fall...

I have an N80 and think it's marvelous, and I am on my second digital P&S. I'm tired of scanning slides and tired of the shutter lag and limitations of the digi P&S models.

I've been waiting for the $600 body+lens kit from Nikon and this is it.

To be honest, I'm mildly offended by some of my fellow Nikonians that call this a beginner's rig, dismissing those that would buy it as having less photog cred. I intend to shoot the D40 until it dies and spend my money on the best AF-S glass I can afford. I don't consider myself a beginner, but as a perpetual amateur. I'll always be learning and never making money at this. I intend to push my ability with the D40, as I did with the N80, concentrating on subject matter and composition of images, not the weight or cost of my rig.

drichi Basic MemberSat 23-Dec-06 02:36 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 11

GW

And that is probably the best attitude to have, especially in digital. Most bodies will be "obsolete" in a year or two after you purchase it anyway when the next "new and improved" model comes out. But if you spend your money on lens instead (which has much more influence on photos anyway), and your time on continuing to improve as a photographer, you'll be ahead of the game.

I wasn't a beginner either in anything except RAW processing when I came to digital after decades with film. Then I played a few years with a few P&S digitals before I bought a DSLR which went "obsolete 2.5 years after introduction and 10 months after I bought it.(D70s &6.1MP--replaced by the D80 and 10MP). The D50 at that time was the "beginner's model" according to some because it lacked some features of the D70.

If the body does what you want and need, then I figure the lowest-priced body that works for you is the way to go. That's my plan for any future purchases.

**Never fall in love with anything that can't love you back.**

Tecant Registered since 05th Oct 2006Fri 29-Dec-06 04:16 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 13

West Allis, US

I agree that it's not fair to label the D40 (or D50) as a beginner's DSLR. Both are aimed rather at people who love taking photos but are limited by their $budget$ to a certain price range.

The D80, D200 and D2Xs have features the D40/D50 lack. So what. I received a D50 for Christmas and am delighted with it. My wife might have chosen a D40 instead except I already owned some non AF-S lenses that are not compatible with it.

My current level of photographic knowledge and skill is a greater limitation than the lack of certain features on my camera. The more I learn about photography, the more I realize how much I have to learn.

To focus on composing and creating great images is more important than what equipment you use.

Tecant
A Milwaukee Nikonian

RichardNYC Registered since 23rd Dec 2006Fri 29-Dec-06 04:45 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>I agree that it's not fair to label the D40 (or D50) as a
>beginner's DSLR. Both are aimed rather at people who love
>taking photos but are limited by their $budget$ to a certain
>price range.

My current thoughts of buying a D40 are primarily due to size and weight. I wouldn't carry a D80, D200 or D2Xs even if it cost the same as a D40. I'm avoiding the D50, even though it's currently cheaper than the D40 and is compatible with a much wider range of lenses than the D40, due to size, weight, LCD and viewfinder.

2kfire Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Fri 29-Dec-06 02:42 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thorold, CA

Pros need to be able to react quickly to any situation, otherwise they don't get paid. The D40 doesn't have direct input for things such as ISO, White Balance, quality etc. which means slower ability to react. The AF issue can be a pretty big one (for now), since many of Nikon's nicest lenses are not AF-I or AF-S (85 1.4, 30 f/2, 105 AF Micro). These 2 issues are why I prefer my D50. Another minor thing is frame rate. 2.5 fps is fast compared to a P&S, but not nearly fast enough to get a bat hitting a ball, a cheetah pouncing on an antelope or rioters being hit in the face by police. There have been many times when I wished I could change from Matrix to spot metering and back in an instant, or had 8 fps shooting rate, but until I can afford another camera, I'll just have to live with having missed some shots.

redpony Registered since 29th Dec 2006Fri 29-Dec-06 03:20 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 15

New user here who just purchased a D40 and stumbled across this site....

My last SLR camera was a manual focus Minolta X700. I loved it and then one day it died. I moved to digital video and away from film. A few years ago I bought a P+S digicam and it was disappointing after the first few months of ease-of-use.

The D40 is my first DSLR. I'm not a beginner photography but I am a beginner to digital SLR and the nomenclature doesn't bother me in the least. I was going to buy a D80 but decided, like a user above, to get a D40 and spend the rest on good glass.

Many things are new to me with D40 versus my old 35mm Minolta, but, overall, the D40 has many more "manual features," and I hardly feel cramped--even though I want a nice fast prime wide angle!

fotodog101 Registered since 22nd Nov 2005Sat 30-Dec-06 08:16 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Despite some calling it a "beginner's camera," the D40 is attracting a lot of attention from pros who want a carry-around P&S when not toting a D2x/2hs.

It may not slide into a pants pocket, but compared to other P&S cameras, it offers a lot from initial reports: no shutter lag, excellent image quality, good high ISO capability, an actual viewfinder, ability to shoot RAW, plus the option to use a wide range of Nikon lenses (AF-S or otherwise). I not aware of any other P&S that offers all those features.

pjh
PhotoReporters
www.photoreporters.net

pjh
PhotoReporters
www.photoreporters.net

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 29-Dec-06 05:57 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "Missing important features"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

No depth of field preview. This is one of the underused truly powerful features that an SLR offers.

SD memory only. This makes the D40 less desireable as a second body for folks with a large existing collection of CF cards.

One command dial. This slows handling. It's another strike against using the camera as a second body since you'd have to adapt to different controls between cameras.

3-area AF. The frames per second rate is useful primarily if the AF system tracks action well. The D40's AF system limits your action-shooting aspirations.

There are other limitations in the D40's feature set, but let's be clear - there's nothing about the D40 that would prevent an advanced shooter from making exceptional images with it. But advanced users will find the D40 limiting where beginning shooters will likely appreciate the simplicity and not miss features that are more often needed by advanced shooters.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Lilandra Registered since 31st Dec 2006Sun 31-Dec-06 05:58 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#21. "RE: Missing important features"
In response to Reply # 18

TT

Hi!

Does the D50 have DoF preview? Or just the higher-end SLRs?

MazG Registered since 31st May 2006Sat 13-Jan-07 04:52 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Missing important features"
In response to Reply # 21

CA

No the D50 doesn't have it either. This is one reason why I debated the D50 vs D70 for the longest time (the other was the built in TTL commander mode - if you don't know what this is you should do a search on the forums).

However, the D50 just felt better in my hands and weighed less. I figured that it was better to have a camera that I would take with me without DOF than one I might be tempted to leave at home.

You really need to try out the various models in the store, you can't just rely on the specs. I would suggest looking at the D40, D50 and D80 just to see what feels the best to you. I am not familiar with the D40 lenses incompatibility issues, but you might want to come up with your lens wish list before buying a body just to make sure you won't have incompatibilities down the road.

Lilandra Registered since 31st Dec 2006Sun 14-Jan-07 08:47 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#25. "RE: Missing important features"
In response to Reply # 24

TT

thanks

Awwww...My Lens wish list is becoming progressively long. I thought NAS didn't happen until you bought your body, but it seems that such is not the case!

WTx Registered since 05th Jul 2006Sat 30-Dec-06 02:54 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 0

I HATE the fact that the D40 uses only AF-S lenses! IF I had started out with the D40 I would be miserable without some of my AF lenses! To me this is a BIG deal and why I would stay away from the D40 if I had any asperations of doing better photography. Go D50 at least!

RichardNYC Registered since 23rd Dec 2006Sun 31-Dec-06 11:53 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 20

US

You can use other lenses with the D40 if you are willing to focus manually.

DeoreDX Registered since 02nd Jan 2007Tue 02-Jan-07 10:09 PM
#23. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 0

Opelika, US

I wouldn't say it's a "Beginner" camera. It's a great camera, and from all accounts performs wonderfully. But, you will find most existing SLR users use many of the features that the D40 lacks, and I'm not talking about the lack of motor to drive screw driven lenses. These are the features I miss on the camera that I use often with my shooting style.

#1 Hard buttons. It doesn't matter how well a menu system is nothing beats a good hard button and dial to change a setting as quickly as possible. The hard buttons I use:

ISO: I don't like to use Auto ISO but keep an eye on my in camera light meter to see if I need to bump up the ISO. Sure you can adjust the Auto ISO settings to change at prescribed shutter values but it is a very poor substitue for knowing when and where to bump the ISO manually, mainly because it doesn't take focal length into the equation. I may be able to handhold my 18-55 kit lens at 1/15 or 1/30 but what is I put my 105mm on there? Or what if you are using a large zoom range lens the lowest shutter speed at one focal length may not be adequate for another.

WB: With the D40 you have to dig into a menu to change white balance or set the "preset" white balance to a different value. Sure the D40 has these features but it's much quicker to do with a hard button

Quality: I shoot mostly at JPEG to conserve space when I am snapshooting but sometimes I have a shot where I'm not 100% sure of the exposure or white balance so with a press of a button and a flick of the thumb I can change it to RAW and take that one shot and then change it back again.

Time delay shutter release: OK, so it has this button, but it is configurable to do the other items listed so I would probably configure it to do ISO if I owned the camera. But, I normally have my camera set to 2sec delay defauly and use that 2 second delay a lot in low light handheld shots to help with motion blur.

Metering Mode: I switch between spot/center weighted and the matrix metering a lot. In fact, my D50 does not have this feature and I'm going to drop it for the D80 just for this feature. Guess I should have payed attention when I bought the D50!

#2 FV Lock

Flash Value lock, it's invaluable when you need it. I cannot take a flash picture of my mother without it... she's too good at blinking!

#3 Commander Mode for the Nikon CLS Speedlights. It sure would be nice to be able to fire my SB600 wirelessly, the D40 and D50 do not offer this feature, another reason I'm stepping up to the D80.

Those are the biggies off the top of my head for *my* shooting style.

jkspoff2 Registered since 17th Jan 2006Sat 20-Jan-07 04:18 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#26. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 23

GB

I have been a professional full time photographer for the past 18 years, I have grown up using Nikon, started with my all time favorite the famous F3. Moved on to F4 and F5, then D1, D2H, D2Hs and now the D2Xs. Those cameras have all been used for work related purposes, now I have bought a D40 as a home camera, and by no means is it an amateur camera. This is by far superior to the D1 and the D2, using the latest available technological advances by Nikon they have produced an absolute winner. Every single image I have taken has been spot on, bar none. Sharp, exposed perfectly under all conditions, with the manual mode available there is no reason why this digital SLR can't be used even for professional work. Do not be put off by the cheap price as this camera in the right hands produces images on a par with the latest top of the range several thousand pound cameras. Technology is changing and getting cheaper and better by the year. A professional camera is now no longer considered necessary unless you need the build quality.

drossi Registered since 19th Feb 2002Sat 20-Jan-07 07:07 PM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

It isn't!

I have been shooting with a D2X since it came out. I use RAW and Photoshop well. And I just bought a D40! Why? It isn't much larger than the best non-SLR cameras yet has all the control and image quality I am used to. And it serves as a backup to the X. I'm using it as my light-and-smallish carry around with the Sigma 30 1.4. I love it!

Dave Rossi
Nikonian from NC
www.eyesushi.com

Dave Rossi
Nikonian from NC
www.eyesushi.smugmug.com

Lentil Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Sat 20-Jan-07 10:07 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 0

SE

For someone who has never used an SLR before, the D40/D50 would, generally speaking, be more appropriate than a D2X. For lots of reasons (although I won't really go into that now). This does not mean that the D40 is only for beginners, nor that it is a simple or inferior camera.

I have never seen any condescending remarks, either about beginners or the D40, in these forums. At most, I have seen people discuss features they would miss in the D40 as a reason as to why they wouldn't buy one themselves. I think pretty much everyone has agreed that it produces as good pictures as other Nikons. I think most people are also humble enough to realise that a complete beginner could well take pictures as good looking as those of a pro, perhaps just not as consistently or as often.

drossi Registered since 19th Feb 2002Sun 21-Jan-07 02:49 AM
423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Why is a D40 just for beginners?"
In response to Reply # 28

Apex, US

If you are replying to my post... I am missing your point. And perhaps you, mine.

Dave Rossi
Nikonian from NC
www.eyesushi.com

Dave Rossi
Nikonian from NC
www.eyesushi.smugmug.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #13348 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.