Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #13342
View in linear mode

Subject: "zoom lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
lumiwa Registered since 09th Aug 2006Thu 14-Dec-06 12:41 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"zoom lenses"

US

Hi!

I have a Nikon D50 with 18-55 kit lenses and I am looking for zoom lenses now but not expensive.
There are Sigma 70-300 APO DG...and Nikkor 28-200 which is also in my money range. Maybe there are also other but I don't know. Sigma has also macro option, Nikkor I am not sure.

Which one is your recommendation in price about 300$ or less.

Thank you very much,

Mitja
----
www.flickr.com/photos/starikarp

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: zoom lenses
K1W1
14th Dec 2006
guthycs
14th Dec 2006
lumiwa
14th Dec 2006
lumiwa
14th Dec 2006
briantilley Moderator
14th Dec 2006

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 14-Dec-06 02:42 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: zoom lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

The Sigma 70-300 APO DG is a favourite amongst D50 owners. I no hesitation in recommending it as a worthwhile lens to look at as long as you understand that it is a budget lens and not a Pro lens.

guthycs Registered since 17th Aug 2006Thu 14-Dec-06 03:07 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: zoom lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmonton, CA

Hi Mitja,

I think it would help if you told us what you are going to shoot with the lens. Do you want to shoot action, sports in low light conditions? Is the low weight important? Do you want to take pictures of wildlife, birds, etc.

A few options: (all these require lots of light)

Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (cheap, lightweight)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm

Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D (lightweight)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300af.htm

Older all metal lenses:

Nikon AF 70-210 AF f4-5.6D
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/7021056.htm
Faster autofocus with D version according to Ken Rockwell's review, but i think it's overpriced (probably because of this review)

Nikon AF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (I got mine for $195 in exc cond)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/75300.htm

Hope this helps.

Csaba

D50
Quantaray 28-90mm F3.5-F5.6 AF
Nikon 75-300mm F4.5-F5.6 AF

Csaba

D50
Quantaray 28-90mm F3.5-F5.6 AF
Nikon 75-300mm F4.5-F5.6 AF
Nikon 50mm F1.8 AF
Nikon SB-600

lumiwa Registered since 09th Aug 2006Thu 14-Dec-06 11:01 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: zoom lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Hi Mitja,
>
>I think it would help if you told us what you are going to
>shoot with the lens. Do you want to shoot action, sports in
>low light conditions? Is the low weight important? Do you
>want to take pictures of wildlife, birds, etc.
>

Thank you very much. Yes, it budget lens othervise I will buy 19-200 VR...
I like to take pictures of birds, animals. Sport is not important. I like taken pictures of buildings, nature. 18-55 has not good zoom. I like insects too. I really don't know.

lumiwa Registered since 09th Aug 2006Thu 14-Dec-06 11:42 AM
#4. "RE: zoom lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Again me and now Tamron:
AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD ASPHERICAL (IF) MACRO (Model A14)

I read about this lenses and looks very good and price is not bad. How is experience with this lenses on Nikon D50, please

Thanks
------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/starikarp

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 14-Dec-06 11:53 AM
28329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: zoom lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

You might want to check out our Nikkor Lenses and 3rd Party Lenses Forums, where there are a lot of threads about this sort of question

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #13342 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.