Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1329
View in linear mode

Subject: "File Size Settings" Previous topic | Next topic
blh Registered since 20th Dec 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 05:08 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"File Size Settings"

Delray Beach, US

I am new to digital photography and the Nikon D50. The default file storage setting is Normal jpeg and Large which works out to about 1.6mb. I noticed that the Fine jpeg setting at medium picture size is also 1.6mb, but the compression is only 1:4. Since the file size is the same, is it better to use the Fine setting? I only plan on blowing pictures up to 11x14, maybe 20x30.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 10:26 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: File Size Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Fine-Large will give you the best (non-Raw) image quality, Fine-Medium is only 3megapixels.

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 10:45 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: File Size Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I only plan on
>blowing pictures up to 11x14, maybe 20x30.

then you need to use the FINE LARGE setting.

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 21-Dec-05 07:01 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: File Size Settings"
In response to Reply # 2

My personal opinion is go RAW.
Unless you are caning the shutter in true reportage style you probably don't need to compress the images.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1329 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.