Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1299
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question on Settings" Previous topic | Next topic
Carmay Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Mon 19-Dec-05 01:27 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question on Settings"

Bellingham, US

I did some shooting over the weekend. I had the camera set on FINE and LARGE. I thought that would give me images of 300dpi. When I got home and loaded them into Photoshop Elements, they were all at 72dpi. Do I have to go to RAW to get 300dpi?

Thanks,
Carole

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question on Settings
sillyconguru
19th Dec 2005
Carmay Silver Member
19th Dec 2005
sillyconguru
19th Dec 2005
Shred
19th Dec 2005
Crashresq
20th Dec 2005
soupdragon
20th Dec 2005
nipprdog
20th Dec 2005
Drewhound
20th Dec 2005
Carmay Silver Member
21st Dec 2005
troush
21st Dec 2005

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 19-Dec-05 01:33 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

No, you can change the default dpi in Photoshop. This doesn't really matter though, the image will still be 3008x2000 pixels in size.

Carmay Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Mon 19-Dec-05 02:41 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

So I would still be able to print large prints from these images? That is what I am most interested in, as I often want to get 8X10 prints, but sometimes want to go 16X20.

My Nikonians Gallery

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 19-Dec-05 03:34 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Yes, but be careful if you resize the images. If you resized the image to a certain size (e.g. in inches) without altering the dpi to (say) 300, you would lose detail. At 72dpi, a 20"x16" print would only consist of 1440x1152 pixels (a 20"x16" print would require 6000x4800 pixels @ 300dpi)

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 19-Dec-05 04:05 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 2

FI

Mainstream (or even pro) digital cameras are not able to produce huge 300dpi prints,
roughly saying 6 megapixels is good up to 8x10 prints at ~300dpi.

But huge prints are not meant to be viewed close so you can safely use anything down to 200 dpi.

Here is quite lot of information about required print quality.

Crashresq Registered since 15th Dec 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 03:01 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 4

Okmulgee, US

I'm extremely new to all this and have only owned my D50 for approx a week now... having said that, what prompted me to purchase the D50 was a picture a co-worker took with his D50 at Large/Fine. I had the picture printed and mounted on foam board at 16x20 and the detail was incredible.

I've read a lot (whole lot) about digicam megapixels and correlated print sizes and I think a person just has to take some shots... print some prints and judge for themselves. I know that the Nikon 6.1MP D50 will blow a Canon G6 7MP out of the water on large print quality.

my 2 cents worth,

Bill

Bill (in OK) - I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but I'm having a blast doing it!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bembrey

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

soupdragon Basic MemberTue 20-Dec-05 04:49 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 5

That's a good point about the viewing distance.
If you are pushing your nose against a 200 dpi print it will look grainy.
But viewed from anything over about 4 feet and it will look just fine.
I think there is a guide somewhere on print sizes and optimum viewing distances, time to do some browsing.

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 20-Dec-05 09:57 AM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I did some shooting over the weekend. I had the camera set
>on FINE and LARGE. I thought that would give me images of
>300dpi. When I got home and loaded them into Photoshop
>Elements, they were all at 72dpi. Do I have to go to RAW to
>get 300dpi?
>
>Thanks,
>Carole

hmmmmmmmm, all of my 'FINE and LARGE' pics are 300 dpi.

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Tue 20-Dec-05 12:33 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 7

The resolution (ppi) only matters when you print, until them it's just a number. It can be useful to alter it to your final print resolution so viewing it at 100% (actual size) shows you how things like sharpening will look.

Likewise making it 72 ppi for web viewing is unnecessary, the file size isn't altered and the image displays according to it's pixel size and not the ppi.

Carmay Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 03:15 PM
#9. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 7

Bellingham, US

> hmmmmmmmm, all of my 'FINE and LARGE' pics are 300 dpi.

Then do I have something set wrong in Photoshop Elements?

My Nikonians Gallery

troush Registered since 16th Dec 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 06:37 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Question on Settings"
In response to Reply # 9

Aurora, US

You can go to the Image->Resize menu option, then there should be a PPI setting box (says pixels per inch, I believe) - you can put in 300. Make sure Resample is UNCHECKED. All my D50 images open in Elements (v3 and v4) at 300 PPI without me having to change them.

-Trish

My Homepage

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1299 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.