nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1277
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about Exposure compensation and Flash compensa" Previous topic | Next topic
MINGZNIKONIAN   Regina, CA  Registered since 28th Oct 2005 Sat 17-Dec-05 09:58 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about Exposure compensation and Flash compensa"

OK, here the deal...

If i set exposure compensation = 0eV and Flash compensation to 0eV, the picture should be well balance with histogram that is balance in the middle...

let say EC = -1eV and FC = 0eV, the picture will be under expose with histogram balance more to the left...

Ok, now is the real question, say EC = 0eV and FC = -1eV, will the picture be the same as the one with EC = -1eV and FC = 0eV with histogram balance more to the left???

I am having a little trouble understanding flash compensation, is the overall outcome of the picture the average of both EC and FC??? if not, do correct me on this, thx!

PS: I am in my office right now, could play around with my camera and test it~~

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Drewhound     Registered since 01st Mar 2007 Sun 18-Dec-05 12:22 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about Exposure compensation and Flash comp"
In response to Reply # 0

I've never really been that interested in flash, my previous experience has been with manual SLRs and all I know so far is that the D50 does a fantastic job with flash. I've just done a little experiment and it's as you've maybe guessed, both are to the left and as near identical as not to matter.

I've got a long way to go before I can figure out all the possibilities but so far the camera is defeating my efforts at getting it wrong lol

edmun   eugene, US  Registered since 16th Sep 2003 Sun 18-Dec-05 10:06 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about Exposure compensation and Flash comp"
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/teddy/teddy-bear-1.html has some information and examples. It is the teddy bear test done on this forum.

ledmun

Drewhound     Registered since 01st Mar 2007 Sun 18-Dec-05 01:46 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about Exposure compensation and Flash comp"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks Ledmun, that's a big help. It confirms what I thought, the camera's a lot better at it than I am

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1277 Previous topic | Next topic