Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1270
View in linear mode

Subject: "ISO Settings for Newbie" Previous topic | Next topic
eculuke Registered since 14th Dec 2005Sat 17-Dec-05 03:17 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ISO Settings for Newbie"

greenville, US

whats a good basic iso setting? a night? im still trying to catch this moon and all i get is a bright light.
Luke

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cgaengineer Registered since 31st Oct 2005Sat 17-Dec-05 03:18 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ISO Settings for Newbie"
In response to Reply # 0

Winder, US

Try using Manual Mode, ISO 200, Shutter at 125-250 and an apeture of 8. Speed up or slow down shutter depending on how blown out the moon is. Use sunshine WB and the color will come out correctly. Also shoot in raw.

Take a look at my moon shot below.
Make = NIKON CORPORATION
Model = NIKON D70
Exposure Time = 1/250"
F Number = F8
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Focal Length = 300mm

Oops! Forgot link to moon! http://www.gaengineer.com/moon.jpg

miwo76 Registered since 05th Nov 2005Sun 18-Dec-05 06:48 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ISO Settings for Newbie"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I replied to your earlier posting, but I'll repeat it here again:

By the way, if you're using the kit lens (18-55mm): the 55mm end may not be enough zoom to capture any detail of the moon...I've tried with it in the past and didn't get very good results - that's why I borrowed my buddy's 70-210mm zoom.

Anyhow, here's the re-posting of my reply to your previous request:

I'm not sure exactly what effect you're looking for but here's a link to a photo of the moon I took:

http://static.flickr.com/35/73681611_265c58834f_o.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/miwo76/73681611

with my own comments on how I took the shot.

I think this was addressed elsewhere - but you will not be able to expose the foreground and get a sharp picture of the moon in the same shot.

The moon is quite bright and to get detail (as opposed to a bright blob) you will need a fast shutter speed - 1/250s or faster. This will leave your foreground very dark of course.

I believe in Manual mode you probably had your camera set to Matrix metering. The matrix metering looks at the whole scene to determine proper exposure and probably (rightly so) decided that it was dark outside and that you needed to expose for 4 sec. to get proper exposure of the foreground (the trees). Try changing the mode to Spot metering and meter off the moon to see what recommendations you get - it'll be something like f5.6 at 1/200s because of how bright the moon is.

Good luck!

Mike

D50
35mm f/2; 50mm f/1.8; 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
SB-600 Speedlight

http://flickr.com/photos/miwo76/

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 18-Dec-05 09:29 AM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ISO Settings for Newbie"
In response to Reply # 2

Camberley, GB

>The moon is quite bright and to get detail (as opposed to a
>bright blob) you will need a fast shutter speed - 1/250s or
>faster. This will leave your foreground very dark of
>course.

To get around the dark foreground problem you could take two shots at different exposures.. one to capture the moon at the right exposure, another that gives detail to the foreground.
This would need to be done on a tripod so that both shots are exactly the same. If you then bring them into Photoshop, and then copy both into the same image you will then have two layers which you can then either use the eraser tool on, or the layer mask.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

espuna Registered since 07th Dec 2005Sun 18-Dec-05 10:16 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ISO Settings for Newbie"
In response to Reply # 3

Mazarrón, ES

....or convert a raw file twice - once for all the highlight details; again for all the shadow details. Gets over problems with the moon moving if you delay your second shot.

An aid to the process, if needed:

http://dustylens.com/luminosity_mask.htm

(I'm sure there´s a tuturial here somewhere - couldn't find it immediately)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1270 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.