Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1243
View in linear mode

Subject: "questions" Previous topic | Next topic
wanabe Registered since 15th Dec 2005Fri 16-Dec-05 12:07 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"questions"

US

I got a nikon d50 about a week ago and I need some help. Day shoots are pretty good although I would like any comments or tips for shooting during the day

I am not that good at night shots. Especially with lights and so forth. Would someone please give me some tips on shooting lights, indoors and just things you think I will need, and setting that the camera should be on. What mode would you recommend for shooting. I like s but the m seems to be more in deapth.

I have a tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6 lense.

pretty much any tips for everything,

thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bernie76 Basic MemberFri 16-Dec-05 01:18 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: questions"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

A lot of questions!

There is no one correct way to shoot either inside or out. so much depends on the light that is available. Probably the best book to learn about exposure and settings is the book "Understandig Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Check out the book section on this site.

As far as indoor shots, the flash on theD50 isn't bad, but only has about a 6-10 foot range. You should put a SB 600 or 800 on your Christmas list. Either of these excellent flashes will do wonders for your photography, both inside and out.

For night pictures of city lights and such, you need to use slow shutter speeds, which means you need to use a tripod. There is no other way to get sharp night time pics.

Scott

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Fri 16-Dec-05 02:09 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I just got my D50 two weeks ago and with the cold weather I've been doing a lot of "playing" indoors. The wife and puppy just stare at me now when I pick up the camera.

The onboard flash does work well, I've been playing with the flash compensation and WB alot to get it to where I like it, but it depends so much on the shot and how much and what quality the other light in the room has. I also second the motion on the Bryan Peterson books, but once you understand the basics just start shooting - that's why you have a digital camera. 200 shots and you can erase them all and start over.

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1243 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.