Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1225
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50" Previous topic | Next topic
MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 15-Dec-05 04:10 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"

Camberley, GB

I have just had a D50 bought for me for Christmas (yes, I've been peeking!) but I'm not allowed to play with it yet.

To date I have never shot in RAW (my current Fuji doesn't support it).
I have Photoshop CS , not CS2.
Today I made a free download of Rawshooters Essentials 2005 to have a play with. I have some RAW images that were supplied with Digital Photo magazine. I was very impressed with the functionality that RAW editing empowers you with.
http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp

A couple of questions though...
Do you know if Rawshooters Essentials 2005 supports the D50 NEFs? It is a little unclear with the Rawshooters documentation... it does support D70/70s but in one of their docs it mentions the D50, in another it doesn't. One of the images I had a play around with today came from a D70.

Also, if the D50 is supported, any views on how well the Rawshooters SW compares with others?

If does work, my plan would be to do the RAW manipulation in Rawshooters then save as Tif or jpeg and then further edit in Photoshop CS.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50
MINGZNIKONIAN
15th Dec 2005
MasterDabber Silver Member
15th Dec 2005
Shred
15th Dec 2005
16th Dec 2005
RDW
16th Dec 2005
16th Dec 2005
Shred
16th Dec 2005
RDW
16th Dec 2005

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 15-Dec-05 05:49 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Regina, CA

Not too sure about Rawshooters Essentials... but D50 comes with Picture project, which can convert RAW to jpeg!

Not sure about PS CS1... but I know that CS2 can read the .NEF file by adding the right plugin...

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 15-Dec-05 06:07 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

>Not too sure about Rawshooters Essentials... but D50 comes
>with Picture project, which can convert RAW to jpeg!

Do you mean, just convert or will Picture Project allow me to manipulate and edit NEFs... or just save them to another format.. ie, tiff or jpeg. If it only allows me to save RAWs(NEFs) without being able to tweak them, I might just have well taken the photos in jpeg to start with. Or, am I missing something?

>Not sure about PS CS1... but I know that CS2 can read the
>.NEF file by adding the right plugin...

As far as I've been able to determine I'd need the Adobe Camera Raw 3.2 (or 3.3 beta) for D50 support and that is only applicable to CS2.. not CS. If I've got that wrong I'd appreciate someone letting me know..

Thanks.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 15-Dec-05 07:28 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"
In response to Reply # 2

FI

Last time i checked RawShooter Essentials 2005 had only partial support for D50 NEF files,
more spesific the RSE cant read correctly the WB information of D50 NEF files.
(as shot WB results on green, red, blue, magenta etc.. colured images )
That is quite annoying but not catastrofic as you can set the WB manually or have it estimated by RSE.

Upcoming RawShooter Essentials 2006 should have full support for D50 nef files,
as it currently on RawShooter Premium 2006 (which i bought and like it very much).

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 16-Dec-05 08:04 AM
#4. "RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Camberley, GB

>Last time i checked RawShooter Essentials 2005 had only
>partial support for D50 NEF files,
>more spesific the RSE cant read correctly the WB information
>of D50 NEF files.
>(as shot WB results on green, red, blue, magenta etc..
>colured images )
>That is quite annoying but not catastrofic as you can set
>the WB manually or have it estimated by RSE.
>

Thanks for the input.
When you say "you can set the WB manually or have it estimated by RSE" I presume you mean by using either the eye droper tool or the WB Wizard?
If that is the only real problem it doesn't sound like it's a big deal as it seems likely I'd want to be adjusting the WB anyway and it seems to be about the first adjustment you'd make in the whole adjustment process anyway... according to the Rawshooter Guide.
I guess I'll have to wait until I'm able to take some test shots on the D50 in RAW to see if it works out.

At this stage I'd rather use something free as I haven't used RAW adjustment/conversion SW before and it's the usual thing of you don't know what you need until you've had a bit of experience of playing with it.
In a way I'm attracted to being able to do it all in Photoshop... I'm moderately experienced using Photoshop CS but hadn't planned to upgrade to CS2 at this time. The RAW function may pursuade me into it though, but I'll see how Rawshooter works out.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Fri 16-Dec-05 04:39 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"
In response to Reply # 4

Two additional options:

- You may be better off with Nikon View (free download) rather than Picture Project (NV works in 16 bit mode, I think PP is only 8 bit). The NV package includes an editor (with white balance & exposure adjustments) that can output to 16-bit tiff, and a very basic Photoshop plugin with the same limited adjustments.

- You can use Adobe Camera Raw 2.4 without updating to CS2 if you first convert your D50 NEFs to DNG (as you probably know, the latest versions of Camera Raw don't work with CS). Get the latest DNG converter from Adobe (confusingly bundled with a CS2 Camera Raw download, even though the DNG converter itself is a freestanding application that doesn't need any version of Photoshop), and also install the latest CS-compatible version of Camera Raw (2.4). Convert the NEFs to DNG using the DNG converter, and read the DNGs it generates using Camera Raw 2.4.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Fri 16-Dec-05 05:34 PM
#6. "RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"
In response to Reply # 5

Camberley, GB

>- You can use Adobe Camera Raw 2.4 without updating to CS2
>if you first convert your D50 NEFs to DNG (as you probably
>know, the latest versions of Camera Raw don't work with CS).
>Get the latest DNG converter from Adobe (confusingly bundled
>with a CS2 Camera Raw download, even though the DNG
>converter itself is a freestanding application that doesn't
>need any version of Photoshop), and also install the latest
>CS-compatible version of Camera Raw (2.4). Convert the NEFs
>to DNG using the DNG converter, and read the DNGs it
>generates using Camera Raw 2.4.

Thanks for that... just had a look at the Adobe site and http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2863
It looks like the Camera Raw 2.4 download includes the DNG Converter.
If I take that route I see I have to put in a parameter...
Would the "-u" (uncompressed DNG be the most appropriate, or "-c" compressed DNG (default) be better?

This site is amazing.. so much good info.
Thanks everybody. I hope down the road I can repay the debt.

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 16-Dec-05 06:28 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"
In response to Reply # 6

FI

>When you say "you can set the WB manually or have it estimated by RSE"
>I presume you mean by using either the eye droper tool or the WB Wizard?

Thats correct, only thing that doesnt work is the "as shot WB"

By the way there can be huge differences in WB setting between RSE auto WB and cameras own WB metering.
Same NEF image converted with RSE 2005 automatic WB and Nikon Capture 4 "as shot" WB
(i didn't convert images just for this test so they are not the same size)

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Fri 16-Dec-05 08:33 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rawshooters Essentials 2005 and D50"
In response to Reply # 6

>Thanks for that... just had a look at the Adobe site and
>http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2863
>It looks like the Camera Raw 2.4 download includes the DNG
>Converter.

You actually need a later version of the DNG converter, like the one bundled with one of the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) 3.2 downloads, to read D50 NEFs. You won't be able to use ACR 3.2 itself (you need 2.4 from the site you quote) but you will be able to use the DNG converter of the same 'revision level' as ACR 3.2 to make DNGs that ACR 2.4 can read.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1225 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.