Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #120
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best SD card for the D50" Previous topic | Next topic
WashingtonBob Basic MemberMon 31-Oct-05 04:25 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best SD card for the D50"

Hi everybody,
I need some opinions on the best high speed SD card for the D50. I will be shooting some sports with it and wonder if the high speed cards such as the Sandisk Ultra II store images faster than just a regular SD card. Does Nikon specify a certain brand of SD cards over others. I have used Lexar cards in my P&S digitals and they worked just fine. Also do WA cards work in the D50. Thanks to all for your advice.
Bob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best SD card for the D50
BillKen
31st Oct 2005
paizhao
31st Oct 2005
edmun
31st Oct 2005
AristonCC
31st Oct 2005
Shred
31st Oct 2005
Aleks
31st Oct 2005
bernie76
31st Oct 2005
dlpens
04th Nov 2005
BillKen
04th Nov 2005
BillKen
06th Nov 2005
Shred
07th Nov 2005
BillKen
07th Nov 2005
Reply message I always recommend that my friends buy multiple cards
dlpens
08th Nov 2005
mark_baker
11th Nov 2005
NickR
14th Nov 2005
emxgarcia
14th Nov 2005
soren
16th Dec 2005
K1W1
17th Dec 2005
soren
17th Dec 2005
K1W1
17th Dec 2005
soren
17th Dec 2005
automaton2
25th Aug 2008

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 04:44 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes Nikon has a list of "supported" SD cards in the manual for the D50 - however - memory is memory is memory IMHO.

I bought an A-Data 60x 1gb SD card for my D50 and it's worked flawlessly since day one. There are plenty of SD cards out there that I would guess would also work fine in the D50. I normally get items like that from www.newegg.com - only paid $52.00 US for my A-Data card.

paizhao Basic MemberMon 31-Oct-05 05:04 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

If you're shooting jpg, a slow card should not be a problem since the buffer is large enough for most people, in most instances. However, if you shoot raw, you'll want a faster card, at least a 9/10 mb/s write speed like on the Ultra II because once the buffer is full, it will feel like forever before you can take another shot. Regardless of the brand you choose to go with, make sure to check the actual read/write speeds. Don't go by the 12x, 40x or 60x designation because every manufacturer uses the designation differently.

--
Ed

--
Ed
http://paizhao.everythingec.com

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 31-Oct-05 05:52 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

Not only do they use the numbers differently there are production variations up to 50%

ledmun

AristonCC Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 06:37 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Highland, US

I have a PNY 1GB and 2 SanDisk 1GB cards...I've been satisfied with both brands. No problems encountered when shooting RAW images.

Ariston Collander
http://www.aristonphotography.com
Living History Events and Costume Portraiture

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 07:00 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 4

FI

I have 1GB Sandisk Ultra 2 and 1GB Transcend "80x" SD cards and they have worked flawlessly.
Recently i purchased Compact Drive PD70X 40Gb to accompany the cards and now storage capacity is no problem.

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 07:02 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 5

Calgary, CA

I use a Sandisk Extreme3 as my primary, and a plain Sandisk for my backup......I don't notice too much difference, but my laptop's card reader isn't able to take full advantage of the speed.....

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

bernie76 Basic MemberMon 31-Oct-05 09:28 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

I use the A data "Turbo SD" 2 GB card (supposedly 150X!!) which works fine.

When shooting RAW with continous or burst mode, the D50 will rapidly take 4 pictures, then slow down to about 1 a second, until about 20 pictures, then really bog down.
In fine jpeg it will take about 18 pic's in 6 seconds before going to 1 a second.

One thing to consider. I thought the 2 GB card would be great because of all the storage space, and of course that is true. However it holds so many pictures that it takes forever to download them on the computer. Now I actually wish I had two 1 GB cards. There have been times when I have wanted to continue shooting, but I had to wait for the card to finish downloading. If I had two, one could be in the card reader and the other in the camera. Also if you have two, you always have a backup in case one fails.

Sigh, I'll probably buy a second card one of these days.

cheers,

Scott

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

dlpens Basic MemberFri 04-Nov-05 04:10 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I am a new user of the D50 and after having used slow cards in the past on other cameras I recently bought the Kingston 133x 1gig card on the internet and I cannot believe how fast it processes pics in Fine - Large settings. I have not shot RAW yet but intend to do so when I visit Argentina in 2 weeks. Don

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 01:27 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 8

Just an update - recently got another A-Data 1gb SD card - but the 150x one this time - and it works just as well as my 60x version with my D50.

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 10:47 PM
#10. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 9

Update: I'm done with A-Data memory.

After about 30 shots my new 150x 1gb card died. I lost all my photos of my 9 month old son's first haircut as a result.

Sorry for handing out bad advice - I'm going to Sandisk from now on - saving $20 or $30 is not worth the risk.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 01:54 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 10

FI

Did you try to recover data or is the card totally dead?
PC Inspector Smart Recovery is free rescue software and works quite well.

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 04:44 PM
#12. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 11

Sadly the card is quite dead - won't even show up as a drive when I put it in my card reader and I cannot format it with my camera or through the card reader.

On a happy note - Newegg was great about returning it for a refund - and I did get some shots with my old Powershot S50.

dlpens Basic MemberTue 08-Nov-05 01:41 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "I always recommend that my friends buy multiple cards"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I carry a 1 gig 133s Kingston which is outstanding together with a 512 Sandisk and another 512 Kingston. I have had a card go bad on me in the past and I always prefer to carry extra cards instead of one big one.

SPEED IS IMPORTANT and now there are least 2 companies with ultra fast cards, the Sandisk Extreme III (I think that is the correct name but I could be wrong) and the Kingston Ultimate. Don

mark_baker Registered since 09th Nov 2005Fri 11-Nov-05 09:48 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Southampton, GB

Bytestor cards have a lot of very negative reviews on Amazon, people reporting losing photos. I guess it must be a rather inconsistent manufacturing process because there are one or two positive reviews there (and people who are happy with something like that are less likely to post a review I suspect), and the 512Mb one I've got in my compact camera works well. It does sound like you'd be taking a risk by buying one of them, and even though you could probably get a refund so you wouldn't be losing money, losing a batch of great photos would be worse.

This is unfortunate, because their high speed cards are the same price as normal speed ones from most other brands.

NickR Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 14-Nov-05 09:50 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Letchworth, GB

Hi Bob,

I have a D50, I use:-

SanDisk Ultra® II SD Plus™ Card.

Quote from Sandisk:- "The ground-breaking card provides the unique capability of utilizing your SD card in a USB port, eliminating the need for any readers to offload content to a PC"

Have a look at the link below. It really makes life easy gettng pics into your pc!!!
http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ultraii-sdplus.asp

Lexar 32x

I also have a Transcend 80x which I have not tried yet but I know this will be good as it is about the only SD card I can get working with my TOMTOM PDA Navigation System

Nick

Nick ,Hertfordshire, UK

emxgarcia Registered since 14th Nov 2005Mon 14-Nov-05 11:28 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Santiago, DO

I got Transcend 1 GB 80x card, seems to be a natural for the D50

emxgarcia

soren Registered since 19th Jul 2004Fri 16-Dec-05 03:13 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

Hey all, I as well am looking for info on SD cards

I did notice a new brand of SD at the Future Shop near me, fairly low price compared to others. I think on sale for $129.99 Cdn

ATP 1 GB 150x 20+mb/s read, 15+mb/s write
i say '+' because from my own memory i thought both figures on the package read over 20 mb/s but site shows different. They didnt have them on display yet, they were just in a huge box behind the counter waiting to be put up (maybe other stores have them up) so you may have to ask for them.

anyone have experience with ATP? so far it seems to be the best deal that I can find for the speed it claims.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10064636&catid=

edit: I noticed something else on the description. Im not entirely sure but Sandisk Extreme's get the name because of the temp variance the card works in?
for this ATP:
"It is built with ample protection from water, dust, ESD (electro-static discharge) and an extreme temperature range of -40 and 85 degrees Celsius."

-Matt Pearson (Victoria, Canada)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 17-Dec-05 01:21 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 17

Melbourne, AU

If you are happy with the after sales ervice from that shop then just buy the card. The published speed is fairly irrelevent unless you want to shoot large numbers of RAW images in burst mode. The D50 has a large buffer and under normal shooting can buffer more than enough images to compensate for it's slow write speed performance is relation to most cards theoretical capabilities.
As for the temperature claims well, if you want to shoot when the temp is 85C then good luck, I'll be somewhere air conditioned with a cold drink.

Edit: Spelling

soren Registered since 19th Jul 2004Sat 17-Dec-05 08:39 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 18

Calgary, CA

well about the temp range, i live in calgary and it can get fairly cold. Of course it wont hit -40 too often but compared to the other cards at the same price which claim around -25 or so (ultra II i think is -25) it is a feature worth looking at. and yes i do sometimes go out shooting on those cold cold days that are below -25 but i have no idea how the performance is affected once it goes past -25. I would be more comfortable buying the known brand ultra II and probably will do so, but the ATP's speed and temp range is something to consider for those willing to try different brands

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 17-Dec-05 10:33 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 19

Melbourne, AU

I'm not having a go at you but have you bothered to check the operating range of your camera? In case you haven't it's 0C - +40C and less than 85% humidity. Whatever the SD card manufacturers claim is actually irrelevent because your camera may not work reliably anyway.
Manuacturers operating temps for devices are largely B/S anyway. They are usually based on some theoretical test that the manuacturer has PAID for (that is important - you can get any answer you like if you want to pay)and can produce evidence of but in reality the exact conditions can never be reproduced by ordinary use. If what is on the box makes you warm and fuzzy then go for it.

soren Registered since 19th Jul 2004Sat 17-Dec-05 02:27 PM
#21. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 20

Calgary, CA

oh this is some good info your throwing at me, if i were to think you were having a go at me that would be pretty red neck of me lol. Plus your replies have really helped me narrow my selection of cards.

and i was not aware of the operating temp of the D50, I have yet to pick mine up (should be very soon). I used the D70 for a bit but returned it before any cold weather shooting, so mainly F80. My litle CP 4500's screen would slow down quite a bit in the cold so im assuming thats what is mainly affected on the D50 as well? but now im getting off topic and would probably be able to find and answer by doing a quick search.

automaton2 Registered since 07th Feb 2006Mon 25-Aug-08 05:16 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Best SD card for the D50"
In response to Reply # 21
Mon 25-Aug-08 05:17 PM by automaton2

boston, US

anyone use this card
ACP-EP 2GB Extreme Performance Secure Digital Card 2gb 150x

looks interesting but again no reviews

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #120 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.