nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #11955
View in linear mode

Subject: "How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?" Previous topic | Next topic
Deba Registered since 16th Jul 2006Sun 29-Oct-06 06:03 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"

IN

Dear Friends,

Let me share with you a bad news that broke my heart. I found the LCD panel (The colour one) of my D50 broken today during a day outing trip. I believe, it was due to some impact inside my camera bag on the rough hilly road that I was traversing on two wheeler. Since it is one my best possessions, I want to bring it back to shape. Please help..

The panel shows visible cracked Glass mark. Black patches, the typical sign of damaged LCD panel are there. On pressing the Play back or Menu button, the screen comes in life but without any picture. It becomes full white with couple of patches. The camera functions seem to be all right. I took pictures and after uploading in my Computer, those were found to be perfect.

I have run the damaged camera with my laptop through Nikon Capture Control. All functions found to be working as usual.

Now, please make me aware about certain things.
How tough process it is for a technician to change the LCD panel?
How tough it is to get a spare Panel?
What could be the approximate price of it in USA or UK?
What are the possible places in USA or UK those who can supply the spare? (Though I stay in India, but can arrange it from USA or UK through friends).
Is there any possible future complicacies those may arise after the change?
In case I get a spare? What are the things I should look forward in it to check the genuinity of proper compatibility?
Is it possible to get a detail service manual of D50 online anywhere?

Lastly-
Does any one have similar kind of experience?

I Don’t want anyone else to have this experience.

Please help.
Deba.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?
jonmilley
29th Oct 2006
radford
29th Oct 2006
K1W1
29th Oct 2006
Deba
30th Oct 2006
justmyhobby
30th Oct 2006
K1W1
30th Oct 2006
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
30th Oct 2006
edmun
31st Oct 2006
K1W1
31st Oct 2006
edmun
01st Nov 2006
K1W1
01st Nov 2006

jonmilley Registered since 17th Nov 2005Sun 29-Oct-06 06:46 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 0

St. John's, CA

A small point and shoot screen costs about $400 canadian to fix... my advice is to have your camera added to your household insurance and make a claim against that to get it repaired.

Jon

--
Jon Milley
http://jonmilley.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

radford Registered since 08th Sep 2006Sun 29-Oct-06 07:25 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

The LCD on my Canon S70 failed (no apparent damage, just didn't
work any more). I got it fixed at Black's Photo for $175 (Canadian).
(It was out of warranty by this time.)

Don't know if repairs for a D50 are priced similarly, but I
can't see off hand why they wouldn't be.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sun 29-Oct-06 08:18 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

I'm sure that you must have dropped the camera in water at the same time as the screen broke. That way it will be a write off when you make the insurance claim and you will get a new body.
It will be far cheaper than a repair.

Deba Registered since 16th Jul 2006Mon 30-Oct-06 07:41 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 3

IN

Thanks friends,
Actually insurance option is not there on some legal issues. I must think of getting it fixed at my own cost. Are the panels used in Canon or Nikon made by some third party manufacturers? If so, whethere they do sell single piece of it or not.

Any idea?-
Deba

justmyhobby Registered since 29th Nov 2005Mon 30-Oct-06 08:00 AM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 4

Brisbane, AU

hi deba,

where in india are you from.....even i am from india.....

look knowing the knowledge of camera repair guys here i wud suggest leave the idea....i might sound harsh....but its true.....when i first noticed dust on my week old d50 i tried to find out if someone could help me get it off.....no one had a clue about cleaning the sensor....i live in chandigarh and tried to find a place upto delhi to get it fixed....none....then i had to call for sensor wand, pec pads and methanol from US.....it worked like magic....so all in all it wont help u here......i wud suggest get it done from US.....send it with someone going there.....as for the price.....ask them by mail....

good luck....

JustMyHobby
I prefer them straight out of the camera.

Visit my Flickr Page.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Mon 30-Oct-06 09:37 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 4

Melbourne, AU

>Are the
>panels used in Canon or Nikon made by some third party
>manufacturers? If so, whethere they do sell single piece of
>it or not.

The LCD panels are made by Sony but I would be very surprised if you can buy a generic one.
The only realistic option I can think of is to keep an eye on ebay or similar and see if you can find a D50 body that does not work for some other reason then make one good camera out of two.
To buy a panel by itself will probably cost almost as much as buying a complete new body.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 30-Oct-06 06:25 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 6

Livermore, CA, US

You may just look for a used D50 as a similarly priced alternative to the repair. You'll have to get a quote on repair to learn if it's feasable, but D50 is one of those things that's expensive enough to repair and cheap enough to buy that I'm afraid it's very close to the realm of disposable.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
Please visit my Nikonians gallery

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 31-Oct-06 01:24 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 7

eugene, US

Nikon has a book for dealers in the US and probably else where.

It has a list of common repairs.

They are listed as A, B, C, and go up by about 50% per severity.

Call Nikon USA at 1 - 800 - 645 - 6689 during US day time and they can probably give you a estimate over the phone for repalcing a LCD panel.

B&H in New York probably has a repair department and KEH in Atlanta.

I would trust both of them if Nikon will not give you a price.

Nikon US may not fix your camera, unless you can produce a reciept with your name on it with the store in India you bought it from.

You could also call Nikon in Japan

ledmun

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 31-Oct-06 09:06 AM
#9. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 8

Melbourne, AU

>Nikon US may not fix your camera, unless you can produce a
>reciept with your name on it with the store in India you
>bought it from.

I can't see why Nikon in the USA would not fix the camera as it's not a warranty issue.

These are the three Nikon approved support centres in India.

Prerna Enterprises.
Eruchshaw Building, 247, Dr. D.N. Road, Opp to ICICI Bank, Mumbai, - 400 001
Tel: +022-22695464/65/66, 66395959

INTER FOTO INDIA PVT LTD.
602/603, Nirman Kendra, off. Dr.Edwin Moses Road, Mahalaxmi, Mumbai 400 011 India
Tel: +91-22-24925151 / 24985751

Photo Vision(Tender /Press Business Only)
223,Okhla industrial Estate Phase III, New Delhi-110 020, India
Tel: +91-11-26928913

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 01-Nov-06 08:19 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 9

eugene, US

Nikon USA will not fix any camera if they consider it a grey market camera.

In other words, the camera serial number must start with a 3.

Does not matter if you want to pay.

There are some exceptions.

You are travelling is one, and your camera came from your country.

ledmun

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 01-Nov-06 09:13 AM
#11. "RE: How tough it is to get a broken LCD panel fixed?"
In response to Reply # 10

Melbourne, AU

>Nikon USA will not fix any camera if they consider it a grey
>market camera.

That is complete B/S and I'm sure that under consumer laws in the USA Nikon would not have a leg to stand on if it were in fact true.
Yes I can understand the grey market and fix under warranty issue - that is Nikons world wide policy but if a person turns up at the door or sends a camera in and says "please quote to fix this it's broken and I'm prepared to pay" the fact that a camera may or may not be grey market and may or may not belong to a resident of the the USA is COMPLETELY irrelevant and Nikon USA have no basis for turning down work that is actually going to generate income for them. I have never in my life heard of a service department that is not completely focussed on generating income
Are you quoting fact from personal experience or are you just repeating an Internet rumour?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #11955 Previous topic | Next topic