Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1170
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
Jerry G Registered since 13th Dec 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 09:10 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses"

Woodstock, US

I cannot understand the difference (in functionality) between using my D50 with older NIKKOR AF lens (i.e. 70 - 210mm) and the newer AF lenses specified to work with Digital SLRs.
Is it the ultimate size of the picture plane that is the difference? (35mmSLR = 1.5 x DSLR).
If I purchase a digital SLR lens for my D50 will it also work with my older AF Nikon (i.e. N6006).
If anyone can explain, I would appreciae it. Thanks.
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses
Shred
13th Dec 2005
Jerry G
13th Dec 2005
soupdragon
14th Dec 2005
Shred
14th Dec 2005
avm247 Moderator
14th Dec 2005
spud
14th Dec 2005
Jerry G
15th Dec 2005

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 09:39 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

FI

All modern AF nikkors work with D50, you just have to do the 1.5 multiplication.

Nikon has "DX" lens series built exlusive for digital cameras with DX sized sensors,
these lenses do work on film cameras but due to smaller image circle there will be heavy vignetting in some or all focal lengths.

If you plan to share optics between film and digital cameras it is better to stay on non DX lenses.
However you may want to buy DX wide angle for the D50 as normal lenses arent usually wide enough.

Jerry G Registered since 13th Dec 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 09:58 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses"
In response to Reply # 1

Woodstock, US

Thanks for that very valuable - to the point - response. J

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 14-Dec-05 05:55 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

Another point about the newer lenses is the "D" as in AFD.
I believe this can send distance data to the camera and help with both flash and ambient light exposure (or possibly both at the same time)

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 14-Dec-05 08:12 AM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses"
In response to Reply # 3

FI

I almost forget on important thing thay you may counter when using DX lenses on film camera.

All(?) DX lenses are also "G" which means that there's no apereture ring on the lens,
this may lead to problems with (very)old film cameras as there is no way to change apereture.

And all(?) DX lenses are also AF-S which means that the lens has a built in motor.
(n6006 has no contacts for driving AF-S lenses so you loose AF functionality )

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 14-Dec-05 04:18 PM
18401 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Jerry,

The image circle for a 35mm format lens is larger than the image circle for Nikon's current DSLR sensor, I'll call this the DX format for now.

To that end, Nikon's 35mm lenses (MF lenses) AI, AI-S will mount and operate (you can set an aperture and take a photo, but you will not have metering with the D50); AI-P (MF lens that is factory chipped), and all AF lenses will work with the D50. Nikon's 35mm format lenses have the 1.5x factor when used with DSLRs.

Nikon's DX lenses are designed to have an image circle that is much smaller than a Nikons 35mm lens' image circle. To that end, it is not recommended to mount a DX lens on a film SLR, at a miminum, you will have a circular image (especially at wider focal lengths), at a max, you may damage the lens if the rear element protrudes into the mirror box, but I don't think this is the case.

So, you can use a film lens on a Nikon DSLR (but only AI-P and AF lenses will meter). DX format lenses should only be used on a DSLR.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

spud Registered since 14th Dec 2005Wed 14-Dec-05 05:05 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

Charlottetown, CA

Here's a good explanation of compatible lenes for the D50 that I came across:

"Compatible Lenses
1) DX Nikkor: All functions supported 2) Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported 3) Micro Nikkor 85 mm F2.8D: All functions supported except autofocus and some exposure modes 4) Other AF Nikkor: All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering II 5) AI-P Nikkor : All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering II and autofocus 6) Non-CPU : Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
Note: IX Nikkor lenses can not be used"

Jerry G Registered since 13th Dec 2005Thu 15-Dec-05 12:11 AM
#7. "RE: D50 & older NIKKOR AF lenses"
In response to Reply # 6

Woodstock, US

"6) Non-CPU : Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function;"

Thanks again. I have discovered some of these compatibilities/imcompatibilities simply by trial-and-error with my own lenses and Nikon camera bodies.
My older non-cpu/non-AF lenses (which still work beautifully with my Nikkormat EL), also work fine (without auto setting) on my D50 set on "M" mode. The beauty of the Digital D50 (especially with a 1gb SD card) is that the lack of in-camera exposure Metering for these lenses is negated by simply using "test shots" to determine preferred exposure. (Instant and infinite) Add Bracketing to the process and my old wonderful lenses have come alive again. It is the optics (glass) that is preserved from these lenses and exploited in the Digital system. I love it.
I'm not sure what it will take to lure me back to film. It's a different kind of photography in important ways:
The almost limitlessness number of "frames on a roll of film"
The almost perfect ISO "film" - variable 200 to 1600 with minimum consequences at high values (I'm still learning about these consequences and also wondering how much more difficult it would have been to make the D50 ISO range 16 to 6400
Thanks again to everyone who contributed comments to my earlier question.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1170 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.