Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1164
View in linear mode

Subject: "Histogram" Previous topic | Next topic
DanD50 Registered since 22nd Nov 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 01:29 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Histogram"

Hello Everyone!

When viewing the images on the camera's screen I have noticed the histogram. How do you use this and what does it tell you?

Thanks!
Dan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Histogram
phillyguy
13th Dec 2005
bobj Silver Member
13th Dec 2005
phillyguy
13th Dec 2005
avm247 Moderator
13th Dec 2005
MstrBones Silver Member
14th Dec 2005

phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 01:59 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Here's a good article to start with:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=histogram

There was another website by a guy who does a lot of night pictures in Cambridge, but I lost the link. If I find it, I'll post it. His site has a lot of good information, and a lot of stuff that goes right over my head.

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberTue 13-Dec-05 02:27 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/histogram.html

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 07:26 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Okay, found that other site:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/histograms1.htm

These two and Bob's should get you rolling in the right direction.

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 13-Dec-05 08:44 PM
18404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

And yet another link: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/digital/histogram_101/index.html

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 14-Dec-05 12:07 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Histogram"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Dan,

Lots of links provided for Histogram, so I won't repeat them. As I understand Histogram, (and here is where I will find out from others if I got it or not :^)), it is basically showing how much light you have gotten to your sensor ranging from the left side of the histogram, (shadows), to the middle, (midtones) to the right side, (highlights). In other words, it's the light exposure values represented graphically for each shot you take.

So the jaggy looking histogram display should match up to the exposure itself when you look at it in your image editing software. What I mean is if the histogram is ramped up in the highlight portion, you should have bright highlights in the picture. If the histogram is low in the shadows section, you'll get low, pixelated detail in the shadows. Therefore, the recommendation is to push exposure in digital cameras to the highlight side of your histogram display. That means slower shutter speeds for any given aperture.

The histogram can show if you are burning out your highlights. What that means is the ccd sensor in your camera is linear in its absorbtion of light. When it gets too many photons into a pixel in the sensor, that pixel burns out, (goes white, it doesn't damage the sensor. That portion of the image is overexposed). In your image editing software, that highlight won't have detail. If it happens to a lot of pixels, you loose lots of photographic detail. The same happens if the histogram displays a very low ramp up, (underexposed).

Hope that helps a bit...

Regards

""

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1164 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.