Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #115
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D50 and sports images" Previous topic | Next topic
WashingtonBob Basic MemberMon 31-Oct-05 01:47 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D50 and sports images"

Hi Everybody,
I would like to purchase a Nikon D50 and use it along with my Nikon 70-300ED lens to shoot some high school soccer matches next spring. Has anybody had any experience using the D50 to shoot fast moving sports yet. The digital advantage of +1.5 to the focal length of this Nikon zoom will be most helpful for sure but I am a bit concerned that the autofocus may not be fast enough. I am just shooting for family photos but would like to have a good chance to get some keepers. I have considerable experience shooting sports with my Nikon film cameras but this would be my first time with digital slr. I rarely use motordrive for lots of frames and prefer to shoot single shot style so I think the D50's frame rate should be just fine. Any sports shooters using the D50 please add your thoughts...I am looking forward to the digital experience.
Thanks all,
Bob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

paizhao Basic MemberMon 31-Oct-05 04:05 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D50 and sports images"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Hi Bob,

I can't offer an opinion on the 70-300 lens but the D50 itself and DSLRs in general are great for action shots. The negligible shutter speed and lag between shots make it a world above p&s cameras. Two weeks ago, I was at a hockey game with a Sigma DC 55-200 lens and I thought it worked out well. I managed to freeze the action (some with the puck in the air) with a slow lens zoomed to 200mm. Instead of using the continuous shooting mode, I opted to focus on my timing and holding the camera steady while panning. The key is to bump up the ISO setting depending on the lighting. I had to set the ISO to 1600 to get a fast enough shutter speed. Even in good lighting, it would be advisable to use ISO 400. I hope this helps.

--
Ed

--
Ed
http://paizhao.everythingec.com

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 31-Oct-05 05:57 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D50 and sports images"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

If the D50 is as fast as the D70 and it should be.

Many people have had good results with the 70-300. It needs to be used in good light and bumping the ISO up helps. Auto ISO is something that can be very helpful.

For simplicity try to use a shutter speed double the focal length of the zoom used to get sharp images. This means to me at least a 1/500 of a second which means on a cloudy day at least ISO 400.

You will get good shots and you will also miss a lot as the lens is not a fast to focus as the 80200 f2.8 or 70-300 f2.8 nor is it as fast as the kit lens.

The D50 focuses about as fast as a N80 and a lot slower than a F100,

ledmun

shitter_speed Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 11:52 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D50 and sports images"
In response to Reply # 2

Dont even think of using that lense at a night football game. Its not fast enough either and searches like crazy in low ligh taking blury photos. That said it is a great daytime lense but only after sendning it to nikon to get adjusted 2 months after I bought it.

dogenia1 Registered since 30th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 10:23 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D50 and sports images"
In response to Reply # 3

Willemstad, Curacao, AN

I have used the lens on the D50 at tennis matches and dragraces.

As long as there is sufficient daylight yr fine.
When light drops it becomes a challenge.

webmaster and photographer www.caribpics.com

webmaster and photographer www.caribpics.com

http://www.caribpics.com/images/Avatar/avatar.jpg

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #115 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.