nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help newbie with low light D50 settings?

MarieBoyer

Portsmouth, US
82 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MarieBoyer Basic Member
Tue 13-Dec-05 09:45 AM

I am going to photograph my daughter's Christmas concert Thursday night in a church. Last year, I did not have my Nikon D50, only a Canon P&S, and the shots were awful. I am looking forward to getting nice shots this time.

I have the 18-55 kit lens and in-camera flash. I am having trouble figuring out the camera settings in difficult lighting. I find it hard to balance all the different possibilities (WB, ISO, focus, metering, mode, aperture, shutter speed etc...) in one photo setting.

I can look at the histogram and see that one end is off, but then I have troubling remembering whether I need to add exposure or subtract. I realize that that is an I.Q. issue.

Can someone give me a tip on settings that can get me started for a low light concert? The stage will have some light on the kids but the church is dark. I can get fairly close but probably not enough to use my in-camera flash.

I have not yet done a custom WB setting, so I would probably use auto, unless you recommend otherwise.

I will get there early and fiddle with the settings. But I am not sure how to set ISO in combination with other settings. (I have read every page of the manual and 2 books, and I surf this forum all the time -- still find it confusing.)

Thanks in advance.

D50 Newbie Lurker

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help newbie with low light D50 settings?

G