nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1117
View in linear mode

Subject: "Non-aproved cards" Previous topic | Next topic
flammer   Shediac River, CA  Registered since 31st Oct 2005 Mon 12-Dec-05 01:52 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Non-aproved cards"

Does anyone have any experience using memory cards that are not mentioned in the D50 user manual? The 2 Gig Scan Disk is on sale at my local COSTCO, but according to the D50 manual, nothing larger than a 1 gig is recommeded. Any thougths?

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards edmun
12th Dec 2005
Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards espuna
13th Dec 2005
Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards marcu
13th Dec 2005
Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards Shred
13th Dec 2005
     Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards BillKen
13th Dec 2005
Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards John317
14th Dec 2005
Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards espuna
14th Dec 2005
     Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards K1W1
14th Dec 2005
     Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards Mikofox
14th Dec 2005
          Reply message RE: Non-aproved cards K1W1
17th Dec 2005

edmun   eugene, US  Registered since 16th Sep 2003 Mon 12-Dec-05 11:32 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 0

There are thousands of card brands.

Nikon only lists the most common at the time they printed the manual.

From my experience with CF cards, I can think of no reason not to buy the other card.

Besides if it does not work Costco will refund your money at any local store.

ledmun

espuna   Mazarrón, ES  Registered since 07th Dec 2005 Tue 13-Dec-05 09:50 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 1

Too true - my "PNY Technologies Europe" 1GB card is stamped
"Toshiba, made in Taiwan" on the back

marcu   Helsinki, FI  Registered since 13th Dec 2005 Tue 13-Dec-05 11:54 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 0

I use Kingston 1GB, if I remember correctly it is not listed in the D50 manual. It works fine, no problems so far.

Shred   FI  Registered since 28th Oct 2005 Tue 13-Dec-05 03:47 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 3

All cards from reputable manufacturers should work without glitches.

BillKen     Registered since 28th Oct 2005 Tue 13-Dec-05 03:49 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 4

I use an A-Data 60x 1gb that works fine as well as a 1gb SanDisk Ultra 2 that also works fine. I briefly had an A-Data 150x 1gb that did not work - but I suspect it was a bad card itself and not necessarily a compatibility issue - that being said - I won't be buying anymore A-Data sd card regardless.

John317   Redding, US  Registered since 13th Dec 2005 Wed 14-Dec-05 03:05 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 0

I had just ordered a 2gb 130x High Speed card when I read your post so I called Nikon Tech Support. They said the 2gb card would format and should work fine but they couldn't gaurantee it since they had not tested the particular brand that I had purchased.

John317
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are

espuna   Mazarrón, ES  Registered since 07th Dec 2005 Wed 14-Dec-05 12:55 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 6

John, your query appears to have generated a response on the Europe support website as follows:

"The maximum memory card storage capacity can depend on the type of formatting a digital camera uses. When a memory card is formatted it's storage space is completely re-set, this process of formatting the memory deletes all pictures on the card. Memory cards supplied with Nikon digital cameras should be formatted in camera before they are used for the first time, the formatting standard used by Nikon digital cameras is called FAT, which stands for 'file allocation table' and is used to organise the memory so it can be read by camera and computer.

All Nikon digital cameras are compatible with the most popular and common formatting method for memory cards - FAT16, this limits the cameras maximum usable capacity of a memory card to 2GB, if larger capacity memory cards than 2GB are used then only 2GB will be available for use.
A newer file formatting standard is now available called FAT32 which allows the use of larger memory cards with capacities larger than 2GB. The Nikon D2 series, D100, D70, D70s, COOLPIX 8800, COOLPIX 8700 and COOLPIX 8400 support both FAT16 and FAT32.
Using a memory card formatted as FAT32 in a camera that only supports FAT16 will result in the camera displaying an error message such as 'CHA' or 'This card cannot be used'."

K1W1   Melbourne, AU  Registered since 19th Nov 2005 Wed 14-Dec-05 01:28 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 7

I'd be surprised if the D50 does not support FAT32 bearing in mind that is is only 6 months or so old and supports USB2.0 at full speed and has SD cards. Having said that I can't find anything immediately to hand that confirms the file format.

Mikofox   Whitehorse, CA  Registered since 04th Nov 2005 Wed 14-Dec-05 09:47 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 7

I just had a Lexar 512MB card fail in our brand-new D50 with the mentioned error code. Lexar's recovery software was not able to extract anything off the card, as it is no longer recognized as a .dmg. I only lost around 88 images, but I surely will not buy any larger card, for exactly this reason. I'd rather loose out on a few shoots while changing cards.

K1W1   Melbourne, AU  Registered since 19th Nov 2005 Sat 17-Dec-05 11:44 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Non-aproved cards"
In response to Reply # 9

>I just had a Lexar 512MB card fail in our brand-new D50 with
>the mentioned error code. Lexar's recovery software was not
>able to extract anything off the card, as it is no longer
>recognized as a .dmg. I only lost around 88 images, but I
>surely will not buy any larger card, for exactly this
>reason. I'd rather loose out on a few shoots while changing
>cards.

Interesting.
With 88 images on a 512MB card I guess you were shooting JPEG medium or something. Sounds like just bad luck to me.
I use a 1GB no name card because that gives me about what I use max in a day. If I loose them well I'll be pissed off but that's life and the sun will still rise tomorrow. We could also have our cameras stolen, drop them (and the card) into a river, get run over by a bus on the way home or have a hard drive crash after we transfer and delete the images so I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about such a minor thing.
Better luck with your next card.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1117 Previous topic | Next topic