Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1114
View in linear mode

Subject: "28-80mm f3.3-5.6G AF Nikkor Zoom for D50 ?" Previous topic | Next topic
hhenke Registered since 11th Dec 2005Sun 11-Dec-05 09:39 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"28-80mm f3.3-5.6G AF Nikkor Zoom for D50 ?"

I am considering buying the D50 with this lens, but am not sure if there are significant drawbacks (apart from the missing aperture ring) when compared to the DX lenses (e.g. 18-70) specifically constructed for the D50 and other digtal SLRs? For example, is this lens slower in autofocusing than the DX lenses?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

henlin Basic MemberMon 12-Dec-05 03:45 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 28-80mm f3.3-5.6G AF Nikkor Zoom for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm not sure about the quality of the 28-80, but the 18-70 AFS DX is an excellent lens for the money. Since it's an AFS lens, autofocus will be faster (and quieter) than the 28-80. The 18-70 also does not have an aperture ring. The only "drawback" that I see for DX lenses is that you're unable to use it optimally on a full-frame 35mm camera since they're designed for the DX sensor.

You might want to check out the lens reviews from Bjorn's site for the two lenses here or Thom Hogan's review on the 18-70 here

I debated between getting the 18-70 or the 24-85 AFS with my D50 and decided on the 24-85 simply because I use those focal lengths more often.

I would say to go for the best lenses that you can afford, and in this case this would be the 18-70.

-Henry

-Henry

hhenke Registered since 11th Dec 2005Mon 12-Dec-05 03:57 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 28-80mm f3.3-5.6G AF Nikkor Zoom for D50 ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Henry,

Thank you for your kind advice. I appreciate your help.

Holger

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1114 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.