Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #11107
View in linear mode

Subject: "Blank Image/White Screen" Previous topic | Next topic
scyfreestyler Registered since 28th Sep 2006Thu 28-Sep-06 03:37 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Blank Image/White Screen"

US

While shooting in Aperture Priority Mode an image came up as a blank white screen with a small file size, roughly 120K as opposed to the 3 MB I am accustomed to at Large/Fine (The EXIF shows that the image in question was captured in Manual Mode at F8-1/60). The camera has about 2700 shutter actuations if that makes any difference. I called Nikon Tech and they said they had never seen this happen before but offered to have me send it in for an inspection. The images before and after were fine but that one is just blank, like the sensor never captured anything. I am concerned that it might do this again at the wrong time. I am tempted to return it to Costco and order a new D80 from Amazon.Com but another part of me says the D50 is all I need and let's wait and see if it goofs up again. Please share your thoughts and experience.
Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

KevC01973 Registered since 19th Sep 2006Thu 28-Sep-06 06:27 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Blank Image/White Screen"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a similar problem.

Whenever I shoot at ISO200 (Only this ISO).... while my Aperature is between F4.5-5.6 and shutter speed lower than 1/60. All I get is a black frame, even if the shot is very bright. If it were underexposing then it doesn't explain why going to an even faster shutter speed yields image data.

I know it's a defect and haven't sent it back yet.

scyfreestyler Registered since 28th Sep 2006Thu 28-Sep-06 07:35 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Blank Image/White Screen"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Well, I am trying to decide if I want to return this to Costco and get another D50 or upgrade to the D70S. I don't want to spend the extra money on the D80 right now so I am torn. I paid 799 for the D50 kit but I don't use those lenses anymore so I could upgrade to the D70S on Amazon and be money ahead. Any opinions?

KevC01973 Registered since 19th Sep 2006Thu 28-Sep-06 11:01 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Blank Image/White Screen"
In response to Reply # 2

Well, to be honest with you, the one solid reason I chose the D50 over the more capable D70s was due to the fact that the guts are actually newer in the D50 than the D70 models. I'm not sure what criteria you want to base your choice on but that was mine. For some people, the DOP preview and other features of the D70 series is their criteria, as well as things like Speedlight Commander mode and such.

It's all dependant on what you prefer, for me, I wanted the latest imaging system and the D50 provided that, whether it's actually better or not remains to be seen

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #11107 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.