Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1093
View in linear mode

Subject: "1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards" Previous topic | Next topic
tafflink Registered since 05th Dec 2005Sun 11-Dec-05 03:07 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"

New York, US

Is there any benefit in terms of speed, or otherwise, in using 2 1-gig cards vs. 1 2-gig card?

Thanks,
Lewis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards
jonmilley
11th Dec 2005
edmun
11th Dec 2005
soupdragon
11th Dec 2005
dwig
12th Dec 2005
Hamslay
12th Dec 2005
Shred
12th Dec 2005
edmun
12th Dec 2005
Drewhound
13th Dec 2005
cgaengineer
15th Dec 2005

jonmilley Registered since 17th Nov 2005Sun 11-Dec-05 04:46 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 0

St. John's, CA

less chance of switching cards at a crucial moment with the 2gig? Akin to the film problem of switching rolls in the middle of action.

I use 2 512mb cards (left over from my p&s) and i've had to switch cards sometimes with a bunch left on the first just so i don't get the full warning and miss a great shot.

--
Jon Milley
http://jonmilley.com

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 11-Dec-05 05:40 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

I would get 1 big card -- changing cards is a bigger problem in my mind than failing cards.

ledmun

soupdragon Basic MemberSun 11-Dec-05 06:38 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 2

It's worth bearing in mind if one big card fails you're stuffed.
Changing cards takes moments and you can, to some degree, predict when one is near full.

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Mon 12-Dec-05 02:48 PM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 0

Key West, US

Both have their advantages. Which is best for you depends largely on what you shoot and how you shoot. Two cards wins on security, both hardware/card failures and IO (read: Idiot Operator) error. Most data loss on modern flash memory cards is the result of IO error.

Personally, I vote for two cards. My shooting is generally slow and unhurried and occasionaly covers a long period of time (vacations). Switching cards is not a problem. For the really paranoid, you can switch cards back and forth periodically so that if one card looses data, the remaining pictures on the other card cover the whole job/vacation with just small gaps. No massive omissions. National Geographic used to follow that procedure in the "ancient" film days; they numbered each roll throughout the shoot and processed the even nubmered rolls first, then the odd. That way a lab accident would only reduce the number of images of a particular part of the coverage. It wouldn't wipe out a whole segment.

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

Hamslay Registered since 01st Nov 2005Mon 12-Dec-05 05:44 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I'd say go with 2 1gb cards, and here's why.

Imagine you're at something like an airshow and you want to take *more* than 2gb of RAW files. The best thing to have is 2 1gb cards and then add a £100 personal storage device of about 40gb. Thing is, these storage devices are quite slow to transfer over the data. With the 2 card setup, once you fill the 1st card, you put it in the storage device and start copying across, which will take about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, you whack the 2nd 1gb card into the camera and keep shooting. Each time you fill a card, you wipe the other card and put the full one in the storage device.

If you only go with 1 2gb card, once it's full you'd have a 20 minute wait while you transfer the contents onto your 40gb drive before you can continue. How many shots would you miss at an airshow in 20 minutes?

I hope this explanation makes sense!

Also, I agree with the views about lost cards or corrupted or accidentally erased data. If I go on holiday and take 2gb of shots, I'd feel much less bothered if I somehow lost 1 card than if I lost the lot.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 12-Dec-05 08:09 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 5

FI

I vote for the 2x1Gb card system but instead of buying slow personal storage device buy a fast one.
Compact Drive PD70X should be good and the newer version "hyperdrive" or something should be even faster.
With Compact Drive PD70X 1Gb Sandisk Ultra 2 SD card filled with 178 NEF files (961Mb) is copied in less than 3 minutes.
Autonomy is also very good as PD70X can copy up to 35Gb on a single set of NiMH batteries.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 12-Dec-05 10:50 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 6

eugene, US

I think it is too easy to loose a card and misplace it. They are very small.

ledmun

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Tue 13-Dec-05 12:16 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 7

I prefer the two cards, both ideas have their merits but the ones for two cards are compelling for me

cgaengineer Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 15-Dec-05 01:44 AM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 1 2-gig SD card vs. 2 1-gig cards"
In response to Reply # 5

Winder, US

I agree with the air show concept myself as I also shoot air shows. I myself use 3 cards. A 1GB, 256mb and 128mb. I just recently purchased another D70 so I now have 2 cameras to use at airshows. I am also going to purchase another 1gb card, I hate to be frantically copying a full card when the next performer is coming out, it does take a long time. With two cameras this could be a worse problem so in my case I really need three 1GB cards. So I say, the more smaller cards you have, the better off you are, just make sure you don't get them mixed up, or forget which one you have filled up, always format or delete after images are copied to storage device or laptop.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1093 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.