Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1083
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photo Software" Previous topic | Next topic
Carmay Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sun 11-Dec-05 06:19 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photo Software"

Bellingham, US

I just bought a Nikon D50. I have Photoshop Elements 3 for the Mac, and also Picture Perfect. Is there anyway to load the NEF files into Photoshop Elements, or do I have to buy Nikon's Capture to use that format?

Thanks,
Carole

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photo Software
edmun
11th Dec 2005
soupdragon
11th Dec 2005
dwig
11th Dec 2005
soupdragon
11th Dec 2005
MasterDabber Silver Member
11th Dec 2005
henlin
11th Dec 2005
flammer
12th Dec 2005

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 11-Dec-05 06:36 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photo Software"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

Nikon View is a free software which can be downloaded from the Nikon site. It will convert new to raw.

You may need to upgrade to Elements 4.

ledmun

soupdragon Basic MemberSun 11-Dec-05 12:24 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photo Software"
In response to Reply # 1

Raw shooter seems to work quite well.
If you bought your D50 from new it should have picture project with it.

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Sun 11-Dec-05 01:26 PM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photo Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Key West, US

You just need a plugin compatible with PS Elements 3 that will read your D50's flavor of RAW/NEF. You might check out Adobe's plugin "Camera RAW". The newest may support the D50. Otherwise checkout the Nikon's PP or View. On Windows, they ship will a PS compatible plugin, though the PP plugin is extremely poor IMHO.

Adobe's download page for PS Elements 3/Mac is:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform=Macintosh

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

soupdragon Basic MemberSun 11-Dec-05 06:25 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photo Software"
In response to Reply # 3

BTW.
Picture project loads the plug in automatically.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 11-Dec-05 07:11 PM
3256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photo Software"
In response to Reply # 4

Camberley, GB

>BTW.
>Picture project loads the plug in automatically.

Will Picture Project load the required plug in to Photoshop CS (not CS2) automatically?

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

henlin Basic MemberSun 11-Dec-05 09:03 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photo Software"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Photoshop Elements 3 does read the NEF files once you update Adobe Camera Raw to its latest version. However, when you open the NEF files, PSE3 opens the images in its "best interpretation" of the image--ie the pics are not "as shot" out of the camera (except for the white balance).

To obtain images "as shot" out of the camera, I had to get Nikon Capture. I think Nikon View does this as well, but I wanted to have a little more control over the images with Capture. Once you save an image with Capture, you can still edit it in PSE3, but be sure to save as an 8 bit file as you can't use all of PSE3's capabilities on the saved 16 bit file.

-Henry

-Henry

flammer Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 12-Dec-05 02:46 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Photo Software"
In response to Reply # 6

Shediac River, CA

In addition to that mentioned above, the both newest versions of iPhoto and Preview can read D50 raw files with no additional plugins.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #1083 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.